Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
62 Rampside, motor needs a rebuild, questions an advice
Posted by: autocomman ()
Date: June 30, 2020 09:26PM

Hey all,

Picked up a 62 rampside with a siezed motor, been sitting for 35 years. I did know what I was getting into fyi haha. So I tried getting the motor unstuck and well it wasnt gonna happen. So I pulled it out and pulled the heads. One slug is stuck in the jug. Looks like it didnt have enough oil changed in its life time either. Not great, not horrible inside, no metal in the oil or anything. Looks like it just was parked and that was it. Mileage is assumed to be 55k. Last reg sticker is 1984, looks like the clutch isnt very old, so I assume its the 2nd one its ever had.

So here are the questions. How far do I go haha. I cant just do pistons and cylinders, if I half ass that then with my luck ill have low oil pressure issues or something from other worn parts. So I will split the block. Is there anything I need to know when splitting the block? Things I have to watch outfor on reassembly or tips for things to pay attention to? Ive build engines before so this isnt my first time, just my first corvair.

Thoughts were pistons, cylinders, rod and main bearings, cylinders heads will get done, seats and if it needs em guides. I assume doing the cam and lifters is a must as well too. The block from what I gather is you dont need to line bore the blocks like you do with a VW.

Thoughts or suggestions? Id love the input And pics of course...The dirt on the cam gears is from pulling the bell housing FYI

And as far as the body goes, not touching it. I love the patina and this will prolly be one I drive for a bit and move on down the road. Always loved em and it was the right price, couldnt turn it down. I have the headlights and what not too. Plan is get the motor done, all new brakes and make sure everything is mechaincally happy and working properly and cruise it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 62 Rampside, motor needs a rebuild, questions an advice
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 01, 2020 02:18AM

Pull rods anyway. If bearings are good and crankshaft is good, measure crankshaft journal for size. If still acceptable for standard bearnings, don't go any deeper. Mains should be fine. That is what I did with my 110 that is in the More Door.

Change the piston and cylinders. Get heads gone through, maybe. At least lap the seats. My heads looked like yours. I made sure the valve could hold gasoline tested from both sides. Reseal the engine and rebuild carbs. Reseal meals everything off block except crankand cam. Go through rear cover.. Reassemble and go driving. I have over 4k miles on mine since putting on road 15 months ago.

Al
Georgia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 02:20AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: ken ()
Date: July 01, 2020 05:29AM

Before I put money in that motor I would buy a good 110 hp motor and O/H it . Go find one from a club member .

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 01, 2020 06:38AM

You need to get the engine moving to get it apart.
If you turn it on it's side on an engine stand you can soak the pistons against the cylinders on one side from the top and one side from the bottom for a day or two and then rotate. Lately I've been using 50/50 ATF and acetone but I used to use Liquid Wrench. Especially your #5 and maybe #4 don't look like they will move.
Sometimes I have to split the cylinders top to bottom with a cut-off wheel and chisel to get them off the pistons.
Sometimes the crankshaft is stuck and the case halves have to be loosened.

You need to decide if you want a FC crankcase or if a car engine will do. It's pretty easy to hinge the engine cover on a Rampside for access. A Van or Greenbrier needs the cover fastened down better.

63 and earlier are 145 CI, 64 and later 164 CI, about 15% more.

If you can find a running engine to install for now you can put something else together later.

Where are you located?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: KGB Pilot125 ()
Date: July 01, 2020 07:23AM

Jim are you using ATF and acetone for all your rusty nuts and bolts too?

Josh
'63 Rampside
Denver Area

Date: July 01, 2020 08:07AM

Well good news is that it does turn. The only stuck piston is #5 I think it was. The back passenger side. I can undo the rod and soak it then knock the Piston out of the jug.

I don't wanna make it sound like I wanna half ass it cause I don't, but I don't wanna split the case if I don't need to. Sounds like I might be fine then if I pull the rods and measure everything, Inspect the crank, if it's ok do rod bearings pistons and cylinders. I feel like I should throw lifters at it since it been sitting for so long. Sound reasonable?

Then the heads. Don't worry about the changing the seats? Check the guides and do valve grind or minimum lap in the valves if it looks serviceable. But don't worry about the seats?

I'm in los angeles FYI. And honestly I just want to pick back what I took out with the minimum about of $ to do it right. I've had motors that were like this where I lapped in the valves, did a home and rering and they have been fantastic after. Just don't wanna go backwards with this ya know haha.

Mark

Date: July 01, 2020 08:11AM

Don't listen to naysayers on this engine. If an 80 hp maybe not worth it, but that is your call.

Here are photos of my 110 before and after. I have about $700 in it with new pistons, cylinders, rod bearing, seal, gaskets and other repair parts.

Link on what I did to the engine;
[corvaircenter.com]

Al
Georgia

Attachments:

Date: July 01, 2020 08:14AM

Here is what I did with the original lifters. All saved, except the #5 lifters which had corrosion pits. Tom Knoblauch fixed them for me. They are waiting to go back in.

[corvaircenter.com]

Al
Georgia

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 01, 2020 09:02AM

Do listen to "naysayers" as some of the information and advice is correct.
I see your road draft tube (and wonder what is holding it in). Upgrade to the PCV system. If you are not in a hurry stick with the 80HP FC engine. And it is good to see your FF oil cooler (maybe the best) and to see it CLEAN.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 01, 2020 09:06AM

"the minimum amount of $ to do it right"

Be careful. That statement will come back to haunt you. After all, you are only in it for parts and machine shop work. One bit of advice, STICK WITH CORVAIR PEOPLE instead of those that think they can do it.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: July 01, 2020 09:35AM

What a "refreshing" thread! (haha)

The thing I like best about Corvair Center is the quality of the responses and advice. When I read Facebook-Corvair threads and responses, they're 3/4 cringeworthy or downright wrong. Reading this thread, it's all good advice.

If you pull the rods off the crank and the bearings and crank are OK, it's safe to assume the crank and mains are ok but don't forget to check the cam lobes.

From a numbers standpoint, refreshing with piston/cyl/ring/lifter/heads/gaskets seems to usually come in around $1200 while a more complete overhaul comes into the $3000 range (parts and machine work). Deep-seat modification of the heads adds about $1000 on top of the other head work.

While an 80hp engine is reliable, the 95/110 is better and might be a better place to invest if the 80hp needs everything. JMHO

Here's a 110hp I refreshed for my Rampside (before switching to 140). It ran great but the 110 I started with was in decent shape to begin with.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 09:37AM by cnicol.

Attachments:
Date: July 01, 2020 12:01PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "the minimum amount of $ to do it right"
>
> Be careful. That statement will come back to haunt you. After all, you are only in it for parts and machine shop work. One bit of advice, STICK WITH CORVAIR PEOPLE instead of those that think they can do it.

Believe me I've been down that road haha. Machine shop work is critical cause that will make or break an engine, literally. And I wanna do it right so the next guy can drive it worry free with out too much fret. I don't wanna cobble it back together. But the advise so far, take a good look at the rod bearings and crank and the cam lobes, if it's good don't split the case. I'd like to avoid that really. So this is the info I was looking for.

My hesitation to get a used engine is what will I end up with. Ran when parked....we all know how that goes. So while more power sounds awesome it's just not something I care for with this unless there is a deal on a used motor that makes sense...I've got some calls to make.

This is an awesome forum btw. I choose carefully when I join new forums to be sure I'm in the right place.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 01, 2020 12:15PM

What I would do is since the engine is so tore down... I would not hesitate to split the crankcase and inspect the mains and oil ports. The case will have to be split anyway in order to install a new cam gear. A billet Fail-Safe gear I recommend.
I like to know what's in there in order to try and avoid any surprises down the road.

Depending on what you intend to haul and where you may want to drive this Rampside. Engine size may or may not be an issue.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: July 01, 2020 01:40PM

A few months ago I picked up a new in the crate Corvair service engine. I did some tear down to check the condition and replaced seals, O-rings and gaskets. Looks like a 145 cid crank in a later, larger (164) case. Heads are 80 HP but were cast after 1966. I'd like to find a wagon or Ramp/loadside that needs a new heart. This engine has provision for both dipstick locations.

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: July 01, 2020 02:04PM

If that were mine I wouldn't hesitate to take a Sawzall or equivalent to that one suck cylinders connecting rod in order to make possible further disassembly of the engine. One replacement used cylinder and rod should not be hard to get.
Also, you might tell us where you are, but maybe I missed that if it was given. You're luck that it's just one cylinder. Another way is to use a cutting wheel on the cylinder and split it with a chisel to release the piston. May work easily, or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2020 02:07PM by Vairismo.

Posted by: Nick_Soapdish ()
Date: July 01, 2020 03:48PM

autocomman Wrote:
> My hesitation to get a used engine is what will I end up with. Ran when parked....we all know how that goes.

The upside is, a complete-ish motor can be run outside of a vehicle fairly easily (as Craig is doing in his photo, from the look of it).

Dylan
'62 95 Panel
Seattle, WA

Wagons and vans, just clap your hands.

Posted by: KGB Pilot125 ()
Date: July 01, 2020 07:02PM

There are deals out there, usually not advertised more of a I know guy who knows a guy who needs this out of the garage. Picked up a great running 80hp for 100 bucks a few years ago. Ask around at a local club or meet up.

Josh
'63 Rampside
Denver Area

Date: July 01, 2020 08:40PM

Well my time frame is kinda tight right now to try and get this back together. Got a little one on the way, first one due next friday so trying to get as much done as posible and off my plate as soon as possible.

After pulling all the cylinders and rods and a good look inside, its dirty but looks like its in good shape. Cam lobes are clean and there are no wierd marks on em at all. The rod journals look relaly good and should clean up really easy with a fine scotch brite pad. I know they look pitted but they are not, you cant feel anything when running ur nail into em. They all measure 1.997 across the board. The plan is resized rods, new slugs and barrels. The heads I have being tanked right now to get em clean to see what kinda shape they are in. The plan is to lap the valves and let it ride as long as the guides dont feel too bad. This motor is not a high mileage piece, Im pretty sure the 55k on the odometer is accurate. Oil pump looks good too.

So taking all the tin to be powder coated, gonna get the block cleaned up this week and ready to go back together. I dont see any reason honestly why I need to go any farther. This will just be a cruiser, not a daily. And there is no reason it shouldnt be a good running leak free motor when its back together.

I would like to know a few more things, hows the PCV system setup? Do they pull crankcase gases from a different fitting that goes where the draft tube is? Then PCV into the tube that connectes between the intakes?

And how do you get the yokes out of this 3 speed trans so I can do the ujoints?
And the input shaft pulled out when seperating the motor from the trans. The seal Im pretty sure in the trans fell apart so I need to pull the covers off to fish the spring out. Is that an easy one to pop a new inputshaft seal in?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 01, 2020 09:45PM

It pulls right out.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 01, 2020 10:58PM

MattNall Wrote:
> It pulls right out.

Does it have a clip like a CV axle? The yoke will pop right off?

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.