Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Front Suspension Questions
Posted by: mtmouse ()
Date: June 27, 2020 10:04AM

I have removed, cleaned, inspected, found and corrected a couple of issues and am in the process of rebuilding the front suspension on my 65 Corsa. It will go into an enclosed dry storage space (dry and weather protected but NOT climate controlled) awaiting reinstallation in about 3 to 4 years after body and power package restoration.
New wearables and all new brake components including wheel cylinders.
Question????
Should I grease ball joints, steering components and fill wheel cylinders with Dot 5 Brake fluid before storage or leave them dry and add fluids and lubricants when I install a few years from now? I plan to seal off the new rubber brake lines to the wheel cylinders either way. Obviously the wheel bearings will be packed, seals lubricated upon reassembly
Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Front Suspension Questions
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 27, 2020 10:22AM

Just me ---- but I'd leave the plastic plug in the wheel cylinders AND NOT install the hoses. The cylinders are sealed for storage on the shelf and it's best to leave them sealed until just before installing brake fluid.

Also the hoses will take a "set" hanging off the drums before you install the suspension (I assume the whole front suspension member is out of the car). Store the flexible brake hoses separately laying straight.

Date: June 27, 2020 10:54AM

Yep, leaning that way. Just leave everything as is from storage except greasing the ball joints and steering components.
Joe

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 27, 2020 12:01PM

Add some fluid to cylinders. Dry cylinders will get some moisture and rust. DAMHIK.

Grease all joints. Keep hose in climate controlled environment heat and cold is the enemy of rubber. Paint all bare metal.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: June 27, 2020 05:51PM

I keep several Damprid containers in my 28' storage bin. All my parts were perfect when the time came to install (2-3 years).

Damprid

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: June 28, 2020 04:22AM

Do everything but the brakes. Leave that to just before you want to install the cross member. Don't even purchase the wheel cylinders or hoses until ready to install. If you want issues, no matter what you do for storage, leave new parts just sit. You have to many things in the brakes that have issues with time and moisture, brake shoes and drums included.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: June 28, 2020 07:33PM

Thanks for the input guys. Now have a plan.
Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.