Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
What a joke
Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: June 26, 2020 08:21PM

[www.ebay.com]

Here is what I wrote:
"Can I see the directions on how this is to be installed in a Corvair? I see no way the one in picture will work without much modifications."

Response:
New message from: okparts_accessories Top Rated Seller(1,569Red Star)
here is the run down with this kit. these pictures are for reference only but my tech has put together a rear steer kit that will work for the Corvair but does require Modifications to the frame and cross member. Corvair track width is only 54.5 so you will have to shorten the crossmember about 2 inches. my technician put this kit together so we thought it would be a waste not to have the kit listed for those intrepid builders who wished to make it work. please be aware the kit above is only the base components so it will require additional add-ons to complete the rear steer kit but after placing your order we will contact you to go over the available options and upgrades for this kit before it ships. i will update this listing to better inform customers on what it takes to install this. thank you
Make an offer
Your previous message

Can I see the directions on how this is to be installed in a Corvair? I see no way the one in picture will work without much modifications.

Front End Mustang II 2 IFS kit for 60-69 Corvair fits Wilwood SSBC Brakes YENKO
Front End Mustang II 2 IFS kit for
Price: $727.37
Buy it now
Watchers: 23
Quantity Remaining: 4
Buy it now
Get to know the seller okparts_accessories
• Located: Maple Valley, WA, United States
• Positive Feedback: 98%

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What a joke
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 26, 2020 09:07PM

Scary to buy from!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: June 26, 2020 09:08PM

This ad is so far "out there ". It doesn't make sense. Who in the world would even consider rear wheel steering for a Corvair. I was scammed last week on a similar ebay ad. NOTHING was true. All contact numbers, addresses, phone #'s didn't exist. Ebay didn't even find the ad. It was fake as well. Fake UPS shipping & tracking info also didn't exist. No records of anything anywhere. But they got the money out of my bank account. Be careful, you guys. I'm not too savvy on the internet & really got scammed. My bad.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: June 26, 2020 09:19PM

I guess one minor "add on" is the rack ? and $400 for shipping? WOW

But why? you already have independent coil spring suspension. Rebuild it with urethane bushings, disc brakes, and quick steering parts and I don't see why it wouldn't function as well with less work and expense.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: June 26, 2020 09:31PM

I did not actually think I would get a response!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 26, 2020 09:32PM

DOUG WARD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was scammed last week on a similar ebay ad. NOTHING was true. All contact numbers, addresses, phone #'s didn't exist. Ebay didn't even find the ad. It was fake as well. Fake UPS shipping & tracking info also didn't exist. No records of anything anywhere. But they got the money out of my bank account. Be careful, you guys. I'm not too savvy on the internet & really got scammed. My bad.

This why you use PAYPAL! 100% safe up to $2,000.00

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: June 27, 2020 04:20AM

For those of you thinking this is junk, I have often considered how can I get the Mustang II front suspension to work on a Corvair! It is considered one of the best front suspension systems around for handling.

Would I buy this kit? No. Also LTL freight is not cheap and Ebay shipping estimates are sometimes way off.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 27, 2020 05:14AM

I think this is a real item but it is a computer generated ad that puts in all kinds of different makes to sell the same kit. Look at his other items. He is selling this kit for Ford & Chevy pickups and lots of other vehicles with the exact same ad text.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 27, 2020 05:26AM

The ad looks like all those universal turbo kit auctions with twenty different ads showing the exact same parts and instructions but each ad makes it sound like the kit was made exclusively for your vehicle.

Lso...2017 thread about Mustang II suspension
[corvaircenter.com]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: acardon ()
Date: June 27, 2020 06:24AM

Doug Ward
Who in the world would even consider rear wheel steering for a Corvair.

"Rear steer" means that the steering linkage is "behind" the front axle, instead of in front. Not rear wheel steering. I don't know of an advantage or disadvantage for either, though.

Don
Southlake, Texas
The Trunk Belongs in Front, Ask Any Elephant
Caution: Images in This Mirror May be Waterpumpers

Date: June 27, 2020 06:36AM

The advantage is proper Ackerman. The disadvantage is sensitivity to worn steering parts and tie rods in compression. I'm sure there are others.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: June 27, 2020 09:18AM

One big disadvantage is that the gas tank is in the way.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: June 27, 2020 09:29AM

I was speaking in general terms. It would take major changes to make a rear steer setup fit a Corvair. Think about how much the steering column has to move.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 27, 2020 10:57AM

They are hoping to use this as "the gift that keeps on giving" (for them).

require additional add ons

available options

upgrades

I think I will STEER clear of this one.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 27, 2020 12:06PM

I've installed several of these on street rods. Yes, "Rear Steer" means tie rods behind the axle instead of in front of it.

These things are very much "do it yourself". The major thing that varies between kits is the width of the central crossmember. The cross member and sides capture and surround the frame rail so it has to be right for a given car or truck.

They don't include the steering rack to allow for personal selection (power/no power, regular/fast ratio, metric/std).

There are also options for brake size, wheel lug pattern, A-arm style (stamped/tubular) and finish (plated, powdercoated, painted, bare).

The product is incredibly flexible and many variations make them a good fit if you know what you're doing. I even put one on a 1-ton Studebaker dualie in place of the solid axle. That went from a wild "two hands, eyes wide open" to a two-finger cruiser!

The ad on ebay is not the way to buy one. Work directly with Heidt's or Fatman Fabrication and get something tailored to your needs. Expect to spend $1800 to $3000 depending on options.

Below: One I installed on a '62 Corvette. This is an in process shot - note minimal A-Arm clearance after alignment. I had to cut the upper plate off and reposition it. Not fun but got it done right in the end.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: June 27, 2020 01:12PM

Fat man has already done at least one for a Corvair. (hearsay evidence only)

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: June 27, 2020 01:15PM

Thanks for clearing that up Ken.thumbs up

I was at first thinking rear wheel steer kits could be made from old completely warn out and sagging rear transmission mounts! the looser the more steer!!! hot smiley

grinning smileygrinning smiley

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.