Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1961 Monza White Smoke
Posted by: OBC Radio ()
Date: June 25, 2020 08:48PM

Hey everyone!

Been lurking on this forum for a long time, finally got first Corvair a few weeks ago. She’s a 1961 Monza coupe, with 39k miles. The story goes that the previous owners grandmother was the original owner, and she barely ever drove it. Car has been garaged all but 1 year of it’s entire life. The previous owner inherited the car about 25 years ago, and had the engine, brake system, ignition, fuel system/carbs, completely rebuilt in 2006 or so. Everything except main bearings. Heads machined, new pushrods rockers and lifters, pretty much everything on the engine is “new”. Unfortunately do you some sort of circumstances, the car sat from the time of it’s mechanical restoration to present in a garage.

After bringing it home, I drained the 15 year old gas and oil, rebuilt the carbs, replaced the fuel pump and plugs and got it running. It seems to at least idle and rev up well (haven’t driven it yet), but after about two to three minutes of running, it starts to billow white smoke out of everywhere. It wants out of the fan area, tail pipe, and road draft tube on the bottom of the engine. If you pull the oil cap, it seems wafts out of the filler tube (not really any air/blow by coming out of the filler tube, just smoke). Like I said, carbs and fuel pump were just gone through and replaced. There are no oil leaks (I spoke with the mechanic who did the rebuild, all seals we’re replaced in ‘06).

The car has put on maybe 5-10 miles in the last 15 years. Could it just be smoking from sitting. Compression reads about 155-160 on all cylinders except #6, which read about 135. There was a lot of “tapping” noises when started up, so I “hot adjusted” the valves on the drivers side and the noise went away. The white smoke seemed to even permiate through the valve body.

Could it be trans fluid (it’s a powerglide)? Mechanic did say he replaced the modulator, but that was 15 years ago... I’m stumped. I’ll try to upload a video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 08:49PM by OBC Radio.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1961 Monza White Smoke
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 25, 2020 09:18PM

Welcome to the CCF!

Your numbers sound good! And it runs! Have you looked under the fan's shroud
for seat insulation, etc... typical of mouse nests.

Bad modulator,,,leaking ATF into the Balance tube to the carbs, would be white smoke out the tailpipe only!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 25, 2020 09:42PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welcome to the CCF!
>
> Your numbers sound good! And it runs! Have you looked under the fan's shroud
> for seat insulation, etc... typical of mouse nests.
>
> Bad modulator,,,leaking ATF into the Balance tube to the carbs, would be white smoke out the tailpipe only!

Here’s a pretty crappy video showing the issue. It shows the smoking towards the end of the video. Is it normal to see what looks like exhaust coming out of the road draft tube?

YouTube video of the car

Date: June 25, 2020 10:43PM

Smoke out the tailpipe and road draft tube is fine for an engine not broken in yet.

Seal it up and I've had them smoke badly for a few miles...before stopping! drive it around the block 20 laps!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 26, 2020 06:41AM

As an aside, it's somewhat normal for some lifters to take a while to pump up when it's been sitting for a long time. It sounds worse than it is. Sometimes you have to go for a drive for a pesky one or two to finally pump up. I hope your readjustment is okay. I wouldn't think a cause for smoking but it jumped out at me. Lifters too tight are not good.

Some new fuel pumps put out too much pressure and overwhelm the carburetor inlet needles. Probably not causing white smoke though.
Some fuel pumps fail by leaking gas into the crankcase oil. Just be aware that the oil level isn't rising and doesn't feel or smell "gassy". This was more of a problem with some fuel pumps 20 years ago than ones made today. If the crankcase fills with gas it has to go somewhere.

Like Matt said the transmission vacuum modulator can leak ATF into the vacuum balance tube. You could remove the hose and plug it for testing and to look for presence of ATF. It might take a while for the ATF to dissipate. You need a thin open end to remove the VM, I think it's 1", I made one from a piece of 3/16 stock. Local auto parts sell a V-8 VM which may not be correct. VM ATF burns white but just out the exhaust pipe.

Just some thoughts from a distance and I could be off. I didn't watch the video, sorry I'm just not much for that.

A little blow-by out the road draft tube is okay. It often gets better when the engine "runs-in". This is better accomplished on the road with some load on it, not just sitting in the driveway.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 06:42AM by JimBrandberg.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 26, 2020 09:23AM

The commonly available Powerglide modulator won't fit unless you grind down your modulator valve or drill out the new modulator.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 10:09AM by MattNall.

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: June 26, 2020 08:02PM

I think there is WAY to much oil/fluid coming out at idle,but when you are showing the valves. It comes out a little but it looked like you were losing a quart or more in a minute.

Date: June 26, 2020 08:26PM

Thanks for the reply’s everyone. Turns out it basically just needed to run. I fired it up and let it run for a good 40 mins or so. I immediately tested to see if it was the transmission by disconnecting and plugging the tube that goes through the firewall to the trans, sure enough after a couple minutes it started smoking. I decided to just let it run. It smoked like hell for a solid 10-15 mins and then immediately began to clear up. The engine seemed to quiet down a little, and smoothed out.

Long story short, it just needed to run. I bet it was a stuck ring in #6. I tuned it while it was running, and hopped in and took it off a drive. It runs and drives great ???? Thanks Guys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 08:28PM by OBC Radio.

Date: June 26, 2020 08:55PM

That's what we like to hear! Have fun!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.