Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM Rubber Floor Dimensions
Posted by: 62George ()
Date: June 25, 2020 11:01AM

Hey everyone, I have a 1962 Corvair 500 3 speed and I am replacing the original rubber floor (it is fully deteriorated) with some rubber flooring I found that closely matches it. My question is does anyone on here know the dimensions of the front flooring? For instance, the location of the cut outs for the shifter, gas pedal, and dimmer switch? I would love to make all the cuts using a dimensioned drawing as opposed to a trial and error method.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM Rubber Floor Dimensions
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 25, 2020 12:09PM

Welcome to the CCF!

Sadly, these haven't been reproduced, that I know of. And the floor isn't really flat.

Also, the mat is most likely in two pieces, like the carpet.

They sell "molded" and flat carpets [with cuts]. I would borrow a set of those and use as a template.

Note: IIRC, Clark's is the only one that sells a carpet [premium] with all the cutouts already done.

"ATTACH" some pics of the floor and possibly someone will have a better idea.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: June 25, 2020 02:11PM

Did you throw out the "fully deteriorated" original? It can be used as a template. Without a template I often carpet my cars with black indoor/outdoor carpeting from the Big Box stores.

1. I lay the material out in the car and often do the front and back as separate overlapping pieces.

2. I worked in film/TV and had access to sand bags but you can make your own with decent strength bags and dry sand. I place the bags in all the areas that the material needs to "contour." With carpet I would dampen it and let it sit a while. How this will work with rubber I do not know.

3. Work from the center out. Often the material will bunch up and needs to be cut so the cut lines will overlap. Think that through as to where the cut line will appear AFTER the cut. This is critical at the.., well a Corvair doesn't have a trans tunnel but, that type of area. I use chalk to mark out the cuts.

It will not be perfect but with time and thought it can be decent. Hopefully what works with carpet will work similarly with rubber.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 25, 2020 02:15PM

Hello George!
WELCOME TO CCF ! ! !
I have heard that the Rubber Flooring can trap moisture and increase the opportunity for rust to form, and destroy your floor.
I have not had a rubber floor, so I can NOT swear to that, but it makes sense.
Unless you are wanting to keep it as close to 100% original as possible, this is a perfect time to "Upgrade" your floor.
The Clark's Carpets are really nice. The "Molded Carpets" are only available for the Late Model(LM) Corvairs.
Here is a link to the Clark's Early Model(EM) carpets.
> > > Click here for Clark's EM Carpets < < <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 25, 2020 02:26PM

It may be possible to make a template from paper, either from a roll or even notebook size pieces taped together.
No, it would not be perfect, but it would get you close.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: June 25, 2020 08:18PM

Thanks for all the information. I called Clark's and asked if they could share a drawing of the carpet with cutout dimensions, but they told me that their carpet does not come with cut outs, the customer is supposed to make the cuts. They suggested removing the shifter, pedal, and dimmer switch then putting the mat down and start the cuts that way. I was hoping to not have to do that and make the cuts beforehand.
I have also heard about the rubber floors possibly contributing to corrosion on the floorboard, that may be true. But in my case I want to keep the car as close to original as possible and I am not using it as a daily driver, so it never is out in the rain anymore, it sits in the garage until it is nice out.
My original rubber floor was broken into many pieces, I did my best to reassemble them and used that to make an Autocad drawing of the rubber floor with the holes located as good as I could. I was just hoping to compare my dimensions to either an official drawing or someone else's dimensions.
This is my first question on the forum, but I have been reading it for years!

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 25, 2020 08:28PM

You know, it might not hurt to ask if anyone has an old rubber mat that they would sell, or even give away, for the cost of shipping.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: June 26, 2020 12:17PM

I did look around for a NOS rubber mat for a long time, but it doesn't seem like any exist out there. The problem with shipping one is when you try to roll up an old one they tend to break apart. If anyone has a NOS one I would certainly be interested in it. I will update the forum on if I am able to reproduce a decent one using the material I have acquired.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.