Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Covid-19 effect on Corvairs
Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: June 25, 2020 08:11AM

I imagine many people are in the same boat, where we have been stuck at home. In my case, since March 10. In theory, people over 60 are not allowed out of their houses, although I go out every morning for a 3 mile walk up and down my ? mile street.

After the first month, I was able to get someone get to my office and smuggle some oil and a filter to me, using back roads where the police are not present, so I jumped my electric fuel pump safety, filled the carbs, started my Corvair and drove up and down the street, then changed the oil, drove again, and parked it.

My battery is about 6 years old, and my chargers are at the other house, so, after the second month, I jumped the pump again, started it, and it ran fine for the first lap, then died. Eventually, with the help of jumper cables after checking spark and fuel from the accelerator pump, I got it going, but it would not idle, and barely got it back into the garage.

I got someone to smuggle me a bottle of Techron and 5 gallons of fresh gas to add to the ¼ tank. With the help of the cables, I got it started, ran it for 20 minutes to run the Techron treated fuel through it.

It now runs perfectly. Lesson learned again.... The drying of gasoline in our carburetors will clogg things up. No need to panic (as I did at first). Just add a bottle of Techron to clean things up.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Covid-19 effect on Corvairs
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 25, 2020 09:01AM

Techroline in America is a product of Chevron sold as "Techron". This stuff for sure works. It comes in their premium gas as well as in bottles over the counter.
As far as "the virus" in America this year all my Corvair events/travels have pretty much been put on hold. I am still hoping to make it to the Homecoming as well as the Fan Belt Toss but we will see.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: June 25, 2020 12:47PM

Whether the danger of the virus is based on lies or half-truths is kind of beside the point. Based on the information, the governments we are variously living under (State/local/federal) have chosen to react the way they have, and now we are stuck in this situation.

Thanks for the heads up! I try to run the car at least once a week lately, and I have a bottle of Techron around just in case.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 25, 2020 01:04PM

A couple of my Covairs have it but that's no surprise since they don't social distance.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: June 25, 2020 02:42PM

Covid 19 actually benefited my Corvair. It sat for 25 years and in Oct. of 2019 I decided it was now or never. I had planned on doing it as a "winter" (as in a few winters) project as this spring I intended to work on my "20 years on jackstands," Sunbeam Tiger.

Covid 19 brought my son home from the University and he is a bit like Charles Schultz "Pig Pen." So the Tiger project is getting delayed and the time went to the Corvair..., until I hurt my back last week. angry smiley It is always something, isn't it.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: June 25, 2020 03:20PM

We're not that restricted here where I am. Definitely limiting travel, using masks and social distancing. Anyway...

If they were to limit car travel... I have been well prepared to venture out on the bike since this started!

eye rolling smiley

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 25, 2020 03:36PM

My city is in a declared state of emergency to have access to any federal funds that might be made available but we have no restrictions.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 27, 2020 06:20AM

I've always got a backlog of Corvair work lined up. People are not quite as anxious these days since there's not much going on anyway.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: June 28, 2020 06:17AM

I've driven mine more than usual lately due to nice weather.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

smileys with beerwinking smileyRe: Covid-19 effect on Corvairs
Posted by: jimc ()
Date: June 28, 2020 10:06AM

Isolation gave me time to upgrade my interior on my Corsa. Pontiac GP setas in Graphite before and now off-white that matches the Clarks door panels. Changed seat belts from black to white Chevy Bowtie. Headrests changed as well, but I like the look without the headrests.

First day out, I got several thumbs up, except for the guy in the Mustang who was not as appreciativewinking smiley

Before.

After.

Jimc
1965 Corsa Coupe, two owner history

HACOA Member
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: TheRealHip ()
Date: June 28, 2020 10:28AM

My car was running a little hot and coughing for a few days but it seems ok now...... I think I will quarantine it for a little while.........

Re: smileys with beerwinking smileyRe: Covid-19 effect on Corvairs
Posted by: McFry ()
Date: June 29, 2020 01:31AM

jimc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isolation gave me time to upgrade my interior on my Corsa. Pontiac GP setas in Graphite before and now off-white that matches the Clarks door panels. Changed seat belts from black to white Chevy Bowtie. Headrests changed as well, but I like the look without the headrests.
>
> First day out, I got several thumbs up, except for the guy in the Mustang who was not as appreciativewinking smiley
>
> Before.
>
>
> After.
>

Very productive idle time! Incredible results

Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: July 01, 2020 02:09PM

Having trouble finding a mask to fit 'Baby'.... so far none of them are big enough.. I think she put on a little weight while under quarantine.. winking smiley

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Posted by: Beers ()
Date: July 01, 2020 07:53PM

Haven’t we all! Lol

63 Spyder convertible
SF Bay Area, CA

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: July 03, 2020 09:53AM

These are the days when you can make a statement with a car bra. Just don't leave it on to the point that it rusts out your car.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.