Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Cigarette Lighter Replacement Procedures....?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: June 24, 2020 10:42AM

Hey all,

I have an adapter plugged into my cigarette power, so that I can plug more than one thing in, charge my USB devices, Etc. The plug comes to the very convenient voltage readout oh, so I can tell how much power I'm drawing overall on the car.
Anyway, the other day it went completely dead. I plugged something else in and it worked, and then I tried plugging the adapter in again and the readout was only 7.5 volts. I tested the wire directly, and also plug the adapter in another car. All checked out fine, so what I figure is happening is the cigarette plug casing itself is so worn out that I'm not getting a good ground depending on what is inserted.

I want to go ahead and replace the whole set up with a new one, I've already got a rechromed outer ring from California Corvairs, but the procedure eludes me. Everything is very tight and I can't understand how it comes out. I haven't been able to find reference to this job in the shop manual, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Does anybody have a procedure or directions on how to find it in the shop manual?

Thanks ever so.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cigarette Lighter Replacement Procedures....?
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 24, 2020 10:57AM

You list all LM cars. The "experts" will chime in, but I recall two different lighter designs were used (different suppliers).

First disconnect the power wire. As best I can remember the lighter "outer" shell behind the dash board screws off and you pull the remaining assembly out the front. After all these years things tend to be "crusty".

At one time reproduction parts for the one design were available, but not the other design. That may have changed.

If the car is pre-67 then I'd add a fuse to the cigarette lighter wire since it is NOT fused in 65-66 models.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 24, 2020 10:58AM

Wire pulls off the back. backshell unscrews. you must hold the front.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 24, 2020 11:05AM

I could kind of see that there was some sort of unscrew procedure involved. Just my luck that the front doesn't rotate in the back does.

This is why last month I installed a quick release on to my steering wheel. Very tired of removing it every time I needed to get under there or behind it!

I bought a generic lighter plug online that looked like it was the correct kind. Listed as a General Motors style anyway.

We'll see!

Also, good call on the fuse installation. I've noted before that it doesn't have one, and I should really take care of that!

Any thoughts on the amperage?

MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2020 11:07AM by playerpage.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 24, 2020 12:39PM

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 24, 2020 01:45PM

Here are three photo's of the lighter removed from my '65.
In the first photo, you will notice three components. The trim ring and the inner and outer sleeve.

The second photo shows the trim ring in place over the inner sleeve (RH Item) that has the electrical connection.

The inner sleeve with the trim ring then slides through the hole in the dash.

The outer sleeve then threads over the inner sleeve from behind the dash which when snug, holds the assembly in place.

The third photo shows the unit assembled.

When the assembly has been in place for a long time, it can be difficult to disassemble but it can be done.

IF you have all new or good replacement pieces to replace what is already installed and your goal is to remove it without damage to the dash, consider this:

Make sure the electrical connection is unplugged from the lighter assembly.
Insert something inside the inner sleeve from the front to hold it secure from turning.
Maybe a broken broom handle or wood scrap with enough length to allow a good grip would work.
Grab the outer sleeve behind the dash with a pair of channel lock or vise grip plyers.
Be mindful that it only needs gripped firm enough to apply turning pressure.
Do not grab it firm enough to bend it out of round, or crush it as this will make things worse.

Gently turn the outer sleeve with the plyers while firmly holding the inner sleeve still.

It might not hurt to apply a lubricant to the threaded area if possible before trying to accomplish your task.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2020 01:49PM by Caraholic4life.

Attachments:

Date: June 24, 2020 04:06PM

Thank you! Very helpful.

Date: June 25, 2020 02:58PM

So I got the lighter out. On advice, I used graphite spray to lubricate it. I will just say here that it is important to avoid damaging your paint by having something to wipe away the excess graphite. I used hand sanitizer. Gentle and worked wonders.

Here it is. Definitely time to replace it when compared to Catholic4Life's.

For a replacement, I order this:

12 Volt Cigarette Lighter

The replacement seems to be an excellent reproduction with a more robust ground. I'll let the forum know when I get it in.

THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 25, 2020 03:02PM

AH.
That don't look bad.
A little cleaning should have that in fine order, right quick.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: CorvairHaven ()
Date: June 25, 2020 03:09PM

Not bad at all. You probably have corrosion on the inside of the assembly; at least that's what it looks like in that little square hole.
Use something like a battery brush to clean it up. Make sure there are no loose bristles remaining when you are finished.
Then a very light coating of dielectric grease or vaseline should prevent future corrosion.

Date: June 25, 2020 03:10PM

Maybe. But I like shiny things. And for seven bucks I want to see it. If it turns out to be a waste of time I can return it.

Of course there are a LOT of little parts around my garage that I had that attitude about, but I ended up keeping them without installing them.

If anything, this has made me finally get around to installing that fuse on the lighter power circuit.

Good idea, I will clean up the dash hole either way.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 03:11PM by playerpage.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 26, 2020 10:05AM

CorvairHaven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not bad at all. You probably have corrosion on the inside of the assembly; at least that's what it looks like in that little square hole.
> Use something like a battery brush to clean it up. Make sure there are no loose bristles remaining when you are finished.
> Then a very light coating of dielectric grease or vaseline should prevent future corrosion.

You have to be careful when using dielectric grease, since it is an insulator, and designed to prevent electrical current from flowing. Probably one of the most misunderstood products that are routinely recommended for all the wrong reasons. This is what I use to lubricate contacts that I don't want to arc. MG Chemicals Carbon Conductive Grease, 80g Tube by MG Chemicals. It is quite expensive compared to dielectric grease, however, it is well worth the cost of $18.39 for 80 grams on Amazon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: June 26, 2020 10:19AM

Thank you junk man!

I'm almost done installing the fuse, I'm going slow cuz I want to use "liquid tape" epoxy on the splices so I don't have to do this again!

The new lighter has been delayed and won't get here until tomorrow, so maybe I'll spend the day cleaning the old one so that when the new one comes in if I don't like the looks of it I can just pop the original back in.

THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.