Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
'60 Corvair Does Not Want to Idle
Posted by: 4wd430 ()
Date: June 24, 2020 07:32AM

Good day everyone. Recently, I have been having trouble getting my Corvair to idle. She starts right up easily but I need to keep my foot on the gas pedal in order for her to keep running. If I take my foot off the gas, she runs really rough and then dies. However, with my foot on the gas, the engine runs great!

The engine and carbs were rebuilt less than a year ago by one of the Long Island Corvair Club members. The mechanic put later model carbs on my '60 as the choke situation on the '60 was a bit tricky. The car was running just fine however. In the cold, I would have to keep my foot on the gas for a bit until she warmed up and then the car would run fine. However, even to just a few weeks ago, the car started up and ran and idled fine with this setup. The car has been sitting and when I went to start her up a couple weeks ago, she would not idle.

The accelerator pumps work well and shoot out a healthy stream of fuel. I was told the idle jets could be clogged so I took a .025 Mig Wire and put it down the two holes in the attached picture and tried to clear out any obstructions, on both side carbs. Holes seem clear but the car still does not want to idle. Car definitely does seem to run better if I spray carb cleaner down those two holes. But still doesn't want to idle and dies out when I remove my foot from the gas pedal. Any suggestions?

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2020 07:33AM by 4wd430.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: '60 Corvair Does Not Want to Idle
Date: June 24, 2020 12:21PM

Try taking out the mixture screws and spraying some carb cleaner into their bores. If there is some stubborn debris in the circuit, you could also try revving the engine and then covering the top of the carb with your hand for a second or 2. That sometimes pulls the crap out.

If this doesn't work, it's time to pull the carbs and give them a cleaning. There's probably some junk in the idle circuit you can't get at.

Canadian 1961 #00214, 700 4DR 80HP/PG
Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Date: June 24, 2020 01:35PM

Sorry, had forgot to mention. I had taken the mixture screws out and sprayed carb cleaner in there, with the same result.

I guess I might have to pull the carbs unfortunately

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 24, 2020 01:38PM

Follow the carb cleaner in the mixture screw holes with compressed air.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: June 25, 2020 06:16AM

I find the 60s don’t run without the air tubes installed because there is no choke on the carbs. In this case, you installed later carbs but did you install choke coils on the heads?

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 06:19AM by caroseiii.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 25, 2020 07:04AM

caroseiii Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find the 60s don’t run without the air tubes installed because there is no choke on the carbs. In this case, you installed later carbs but did you install choke coils on the heads?
>
> Crawford

By looking at the picture, one can see that the choke is wired securely in the open position.
No choke rods visible.
Unless this is an older picture, I would have to guess he did not.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: June 25, 2020 08:32AM

He said it was running fine until it sat for a few weeks so he is used to running it without chokes.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: June 25, 2020 10:11AM

My experience was that 1960 engine will not run without the central choke operating correctly and the air tubes installed. So if you has a few good weeks flooring unchoked carbs to warm up, that's lucky. Long term, it will not be reliable. You need to install a mechanism to operate the chokes by putting the correct coil parts under the head (because the 60 heads have the holes drilled for the rod to go through) or reinstalling the 60 carbs and learning how to adjust the choke mechanism because it works well if all of the parts are present.

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Date: June 25, 2020 03:45PM

There isn't anything different about a '60 engine that makes it need a choke when other Corvair engines don't. I've driven many cars over the years with no choke. They don't run great until warmed up a little but it is no big deal. I'm sure plenty of others here run without chokes too. The OP did successfully for a while which proves that isn't the problem.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 25, 2020 09:00PM

Did the balance tube hoses get a hole in them or loose from the tube or heads? I see some electrical tape or such on the balance tube in the photo.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: June 25, 2020 10:34PM

Frank, That's not electrical tape. the 1960 balance tube bolts rigidly to the head via that metal strap that you are seeing.

As far as it used to run ok until recently, Joel, that's just luck. Having chokes wired open without any choke hardware is not good practice and, naturally, there is difficulty. Its murder on YH Carter carbed turbos to get started if the choke is not just right, for example. Adjust the choke parts correctly and it will be fine.

4wd430, I am thinking you cannot get the 1960 air cleaner elbows over those 62 carb top pads without massive air leaks. Do you run an alternative air cleaner of some kind?

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Date: June 26, 2020 09:39AM

I guess all my cars that run fine with no chokes are all luck? I need to start buying lottery tickets.
Granted you don't want to try to run a YH without a choke but that is only because it has a vacuum operated accelerator pump so you can't pump fuel in to start it. That isn't what he has. Properly working chokes are completely out of the picture after a few minutes.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: June 26, 2020 09:45AM

Sorry guys, been a little busy so haven't been able to try spraying carbs cleaner once again with the idle mixture screws removed. Will try again today.

However, my Corvair has always ran with an inoperable choke. After I first got the car started after sitting for 30 years, the choke was inoperable. The car even had a blown head gasket and I still would be able to start her up and have her idle and even take her on drives and it would be fine.

After the mechanic rebuilt the engine and put in these carbs, it idled and drove just fine with the choke wired right open. On multiple occasions. I had another '60 owner told me he has his choke wired open too to avoid the hassle of the tricky '60 choke. I even went on multiple drives in the winter with the chokes wired right open. Just had to feather the throttle in idle until she was warmed up and then driving was mostly fine.

Also, I use the stock '60 air cleaner with these carbs

60' Corvair Deluxe 4dr

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 09:47AM by 4wd430.

Date: June 26, 2020 10:54AM

Your results may vary! The hassle of 60 choke for GM was that it cost more than a cheap coil in the head.

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 26, 2020 12:47PM

Unrelated to your issue but I would take a shop vac and clean all the loose leaves and debris in your engine compartment. This is one of my pet peeves (especially on Corvairs).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.