Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Powerglide Problems
Posted by: AlexP ()
Date: June 22, 2020 01:42PM

OK long time Corvair owner. First time asking for help. This problem is from my 63. Got a Clark’s rebuild about 10 years ago and It was my daily driver for about 7 years and never gave me any issues other then a bad modulator. So stopped driving it and PG was giving me problems wasn’t up shifting etc.. Got some Trans X n problem solved. Now I know worst thing for any car is to let it sit so I would drive it intermittently next year n a half and was flaring on up shift. Thought I had a bad modulator again so just ignored the problem cuz it wasn’t driving it regularly. Then one day I’m backing into a spot and PG seems to lose pressure and stops reversing. I ended up pushing into spot and let it sit. Few days later started it up and ran fine. A week or so later tried to go but wouldn’t go into gear (forwards). After about 5 minutes of reving the engine it kicks in gear and drove normally. Problems have persisted. Both not going into gear n losing power when put in reverse. The strange thing is it is not always like this. Sometimes it operates normally and will drive trouble free including reverse. I haven’t checked pressure but I don’t think it’s necessary the problem because the PG goes stretches with no problems. I think it’s a pickup issue because I have overfilled it b the problems seem to go away. I switched out the gasket for the pickup but it just didn’t feel right. It doesn’t take much to attach it but I still don’t feel like it sealed. It has all the symptoms of low fluid including flaring in corners. The only issue that perplexes me is the losing power in reverse. Searched the forums and can’t find anything on that issue. Has anyone else had that issue??? Is there a trick to seating the pickup? HELP

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Powerglide Problems
Posted by: AlexP ()
Date: June 25, 2020 01:49PM

No one? Expected a little more from the Corvair Community. Was it too much to read???????????????

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 25, 2020 02:02PM

I apologize on behalf of my fellow forum brethren.
This is NOT typical of what goes on around here.
I can't answer your question, because when I ran a PowerGlide(PG), I NEVER had any issues.
Well, it did act a bit weird once, but I quickly realized that I had let it get low on Tranny Fluid.
Once it was topped-off, it was fine.
I hope someone more knowledgeable about the inner workings of a PG will chime in soon.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: June 25, 2020 02:28PM

Sounds like either a problem with the pick up or the front pump triangle came lose, Question, when you installed the new PG did you set the running clearance properly? When ever you install either a new diff or PG you need to adjust the running clearance with the shim stack on the pinion shaft, no one ever does this and most do not even know about it, if this critical step is not done properly you have issues down the road. Here is a Vid I made on the subject a few years ago.

[youtu.be]

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: June 25, 2020 02:32PM

To be honest the single run-on paragraph does make one shy away from reading it.

Perhaps the problem is a fluid level. For years I had a Plymouth Valiant that leaked out the selector seal. Hardly saw any fluid on the ground nor streaked under the car but every 50 miles it needed another quart. Follow the proper procedures for warmed up, gear selector position, level ground etc. Overfilling causes the fluid to foam and not function properly.

The pump may not be turning (Edit: As mention above by Dave Motohead). I'm sort of new to this transmission but there is round washer with three prongs that turns the pump. The internal splines or the ears can fail. The test is to check the level, put the car in gear and if the level does not change it is indicative of that part failing.

It may be that there is a failure somewhere in the selector cable sheathing and the valve body is not being set to the proper location even though the selector may be in the correct location. This would be like having a loose cable sheath on a bicycle brake/shift cable. That can be tested to some extent (at least visible that the the cable end (at the transmission) moves with the selector movement) by removing it from the transmission an observing. HOWEVER, there is a proper procedure to reinstalling it that must be followed. Others have talked about it here but i do not know the specific post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2020 02:34PM by wittsend.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 25, 2020 02:51PM

"After about 5 minutes of reving the engine it kicks in gear and drove normally."
This has probably ruined the transmission. Automatic clutches and bands last a really long time as long as you don't slip them. 5 minutes of slipping can totally fry brand new parts.

" I switched out the gasket for the pickup but it just didn’t feel right. It doesn’t take much to attach it but I still don’t feel like it sealed. I think it’s a pickup issue because I have overfilled it b the problems seem to go away"
This does seem to be the problem. If the pump wasn't turning it wouldn't work at all.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.