Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Should I rebuild/replace thr turbo?
Posted by: Edpoe ()
Date: June 15, 2020 10:55AM

Hello! I just bought my first corvair, a 1963 Monza Spyder convertible. The previous owner says there is a tiny nick in one of the exhaust turbine vanes. Should I rebuild/replace the turbo? Thanks for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I rebuild/replace thr turbo?
Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: June 15, 2020 12:06PM

The question is how big is a tiny nick? Does that mean it just has a ding in it or is a chunk missing that would potentially throw the balance off and cause it to self destruct at the extreme speeds that turbos spin at? Without taking it apart to see the actual damage I don't know if there's much advice to be given besides the obvious that if one of the wheels is damaged, it should probably be replaced.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 15, 2020 12:31PM

I agree with Nate. But I will say if this is an original numbers matching car then you should repair/rebuild your existing parts as needed. Seems the original stuff is more sought after than the "Frankenstein" cars which we have no shortage of these days.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 15, 2020 12:51PM

This is what a cheap Endoscope is for

Plenty on ebay cheap![www.ebay.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 15, 2020 12:52PM

As already mentioned, unless the Turbo is completely worn out, rebuilding it would be the best solution.
There are folks around that are experienced and reputable in regards to rebuilding Turbochargers for Corvairs specifically. They would more than likely have sources for most parts that may require replacement.
Even if you were to source a New Old Stock, never been installed correct Turbo for your car, it would probably need to be gone through and looked at carefully to insure it would function properly. JMO
IF you decide to have your Turbo rebuilt and don't already know of a reputable place to have the job done, ask here and you will probably get the names of a variety of places.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: bmwtodd1 ()
Date: June 15, 2020 05:07PM

If your compressor is indeed bad, send me a PM, I upgraded mine, and you can have my old one for shipping cost.

Re: Should I rebuild/replace the turbo?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 15, 2020 09:33PM

You said EXHAUST TURBINE Which one? If it's the exhaust. Run it'til it blows! No harm on the exhaust side!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.