Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
AFTER Valve adjustment it wont start SOLVED!!!
Posted by: kevair1 ()
Date: June 09, 2020 11:29AM

I swapped out all the o-rings for vitons and threw the exhaust on after book adjusting the valves, and now I cant get the engine to run or even fire at all. Is it possible I overtightened the rockers so now the valves are slightly open and its not getting compression? I have no air compressor or tester to check

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2020 02:40PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Valve adjustment wont start
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 09, 2020 11:31AM

I would say it is highly likely that the valves are too tight. Common mistake.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: June 09, 2020 11:34AM

I just had this very problem. The best advice I can give is to tighten (or loosen) the rocker nuts until there are 2 threads showing on the stud and then adjust them with the engine running. I adjusted mine by the book 3 times before I got it to start and then ended up doing this.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 09, 2020 11:38AM

Do what Chad says!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 09, 2020 01:22PM

Don't worry. Many people have trouble determining zero lash on their first attempt and adjust them too tight. There is a certain finesse required to adjust the valves cold but it is simple after you understand the procedure. It's pretty easy to accidentally go past zero lash and then when you tighten the nuts further by 3/4 turn you're leaving the valves open.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: kevair1 ()
Date: June 09, 2020 02:20PM

it worked, thanks for the help fellas

Re: AFTER Valve adjustment it wont start SOLVED!!!
Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: June 09, 2020 03:49PM

thumbs up thumbs up

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 11, 2020 05:58AM

I hardly ever adjust them running. The more I do it the luckier I get.

I do one cylinder at a time at TDC where it fires as indexed at the distributor rotor. If the engine is out I make lines on the pulley 120 degrees apart. I have everything at hand including socket and ratchet. I insert the pushrod and lift it up into the lifter pocket. I put on the rocker arm and pivot ball while keeping steady pressure on the bottom of the rocker arm to keep the pushrod in the pocket. I keep track of the lash when tightening by the space between the rocker arm top and the valve tip. I like zero lash + 3/4 turn.

I abandoned the twirling pushrod method a long time ago. I've developed procedures that might be wrong in another's estimation.

I only do it running when there's a problem. Sometimes the problem is a lifter that doesn't bleed down with the 3/4 turn so it's holding the valve open. Sometimes I will adjust one like that at zero lash like it's a solid lifter, add some Rislone to the oil and try it again after some use.
Lifters are odd. Some of them you can push down against the hydraulics and some you can't. But then they pump up firm or bleed down appropriately in use. They're little modern marvels, I can't believe they can make, ship and sell them so cheap.

Adjusting them running is interesting except for the adverse physical conditions.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2020 06:02AM by JimBrandberg.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 11, 2020 06:46AM

Use an .001" feeler gauge to determine zero lash, its way too easy to mess up the spin method. I do one cylinder at a time as indicated by the rotor. Does it longer, yes, do I have to through doing it over NO.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.