Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Need opinions of Clark's repro rechromed bumpers
Posted by: Tom Rahochik ()
Date: June 02, 2020 06:14PM

Wanting to hear the pros and cons of Clark's repro rechromed bumpers. Are they
triple plated? Someone said these are lighter than the originals. Is the chrome show quality? How do they align to the body? All comments are appreciated...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need opinions of Clark's repro rechromed bumpers
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 02, 2020 06:19PM

I've installed a front one. Fit well and the chrome was better than the NOS I've seen. They aren't Clark's by the way. I can't remember the brand but they are what other vendors are selling. I did buy mine from Clark's because everyone's prices were very close and I wanted to support Clark's.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 02, 2020 06:37PM

I bought a set of bumpers for my 66 coupe from Clark's. Bumpers are made by Auto Metal Direct. Very nice bumpers and mounted up easily. No trimming holes for brackets to fit.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: June 02, 2020 07:34PM

I have them on my 65 both front and rear. They fit perfectly and after three years now they still look good as new.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: June 03, 2020 05:45AM

Tom Rahochik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wanting to hear the pros and cons of Clark's repro rechromed bumpers. Are they
> triple plated? Someone said these are lighter than the originals. Is the chrome show quality? How do they align to the body? All comments are appreciated...

Hi Tom,

Not sure if you are looking at the early or late AMD repro bumpers.

Finish: as good as or better than NOS. AMD is a supplier to the Big Three for bumpers for current model trucks, so their standards are high. Would I say that they can be considered show quality? Yes.

Stampings: Very accurate, relative to the fit of the bumper brackets as well as the profile to the body.Edges are excellent.

Gauge: They are extremely close to original gauge, so these are not cheap stampings.

Overall: these are really excellent repro bumpers. I would have no problem using them on my cars.

OK, here are the issues if seen with some of them:

Late bumpers: the accuracy of the stamping to the original design details is slightly off. First, the front bumpers are a bit wider in profile to the back of the bumper, which makes it difficult if you are trying to get bumper guards to fit on them. Second, on both the front and rear bumper, thee a flat character line around the outer leading edge on the originals. ON the AMD repro, that is hinted at but not fully crisp (likely that the original character line is from an additional die operation in the GM version-AMD likely tried to combine steps and get the character line into one other process). Third, the character peak on the center top of the front bumper is not as pronounced as the GM version. The peak is far more raduised than the GM version, which is sharper in the original, and extends further to the leading edge of the bumper. The AMD repro does not do that. This is likely due again to reducing die steps by AMD to combine processes to save on tooling/operational steps.

The early versions, where they does not have the detail that the late bumpers have, are really difficult to tell teh difference between GM and AMD.

Hope this helps, Tom.

Best,

Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.