Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question on Late Monza Rear Grills
Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: May 30, 2020 06:21PM

Question just for confirmation:

When did GM stop painting the inner grill area on the Monzas argent silver and kept it body color?

Was it in 1968?

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on Late Monza Rear Grills
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 30, 2020 06:28PM

So you're saying GM painted more rear grill inserts argent silver than on a 66 Corsa?

Posted by: avairnut ()
Date: May 30, 2020 07:07PM

All Monzas and Corsas inner grill areas were factory painted argent silver right though the 69 models. The 500 series cars where all painted the body color of the car. The Corsa models also had a chrome trim piece attached surrounding the inner area.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 30, 2020 07:16PM

And I thought the same thing Wayne but I did not want to say anything after Rich T. (who has won the Bill Mitchell award MORE THAN ONCE OR TWICE) asked this question.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 30, 2020 09:59PM

Usually when a car has anything different than what avairnut stated, the car had been repainted or grill replaced. Back in the day, I could always tell from that (and the front valance panel) being painted as to whether it had been reshot or had the factory paint.

-Mark

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 30, 2020 10:12PM

I'm with Tim and Nut, all Monzas have the Argent Silver (That's silver silver if you translate) vent. The 500 models did not. 65 to 69.

Not a great picture, but you can see the Argent Silver in this 69 brochure:

[1969corvair.com]

5997 was only spot painted, and still sported an Argent Silver rear vent.

This one says only 40 miles, so I doubt it has been painted:

[i1.wp.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 31, 2020 08:42AM

avairnut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All Monzas and Corsas inner grill areas were factory painted argent silver right though the 69 models. The 500 series cars where all painted the body color of the car. The Corsa models also had a chrome trim piece attached surrounding the inner area.

I am well aware that the 500 models did not have a argent silver painted inner area.

I have asked this question because over the years, I have seen my share of 68 and 69 Monzas that did not have the argent silver in that area. Further, after checking the paint type of some of those, they clearly looked like single stage lacquer, which was the original finish from the factory. Single stage enamel does appear different and I can tell the difference.

Granted, the ones I saw could of been repainted at some time with single stage lacquer along the way.

Just seemed to be something I have seen quite a bit over the years.

Rich

Date: May 31, 2020 08:42AM

LOL. Thanks Tim Shortle! smiling smiley

Posted by: Sportsedan ()
Date: June 13, 2020 10:09AM

I’m glad I searched this subject and found a recent discussion. I’m third owner of a‘65 Monza with just over 18,000 miles. The car has had one repaint, done for the second owner. The rear grille panel, including the louvers, is body color (Regal Red). I didn’t know the difference.

The last time I had looked closely at second generation Vairs was the autumn of ‘68. I was finally out of school and in the market for a new car. I couldn’t find a Chevy dealer with a Corvair in stock, or even willing to discuss one. “You really want this great thing called a Nova.” Not. Bought a Dodge Dart GT instead.

I recently found the specs calling for the silver louvers on Monzas. I searched online for hours for any photo showing a Monza with this. Didn’t see one. Apparently it’s been the usual practice to paint over the louvers and forget them. Or to overlay Corsa trim pieces, probably back when they were relatively cheap. I was happy to see Frank’s posted photo above of the black original ‘69. I contacted Mark (airvair 67) a few days ago and received good guidance on painting mine with “Argent Silver.” Seems to be same or similar to the paint on early rally wheels or the paint used on the cove of Corsas. I haven’t decided on a source. Maybe VHT high temperature wheel paint for Chevy (not the Ford Argent Silver). I’m amazed how many versions of “argent” there are, including Ford and Mopar.

I have an original ‘65 brochure. There’s an illustration of a Monza convertible, showing just the right rear corner of the car. This car (surely preproduction) has body colored louvers. Maybe it was a late decision to use the silver.

Gil

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: June 13, 2020 05:14PM

Here is my 1969

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 13, 2020 07:49PM

irfgt Wrote:
> Here is my 1969

Thanks for sharing that. thumbs up
I was wondering just exactly where the break-off line was.
Sadly, it looks like a Cat has "Marked" your car in the second picture. sad smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: June 13, 2020 07:53PM

I believe that the assembly manual shows where to paint the silver.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: June 14, 2020 10:26AM

Yea, very possible since I have 49 cats!

Date: June 14, 2020 11:15AM

eye popping smiley

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: June 15, 2020 05:24AM

Sportsedan Wrote:
> I’m glad I searched this subject and found a recent discussion. I’m third owner of a‘65 Monza with just over 18,000 miles. The car has had one repaint, done for the second owner. The rear grille panel, including the louvers, is body color (Regal Red). I didn’t know the difference.
>

>
> I have an original ‘65 brochure. There’s an illustration of a Monza convertible, showing just the right rear corner of the car. This car (surely preproduction) has body colored louvers. Maybe it was a late decision to use the silver.
>
> Gil

The 1965 lower rear grill is different than the 1966-69 grills. I am pretty sure that Monzas and the 500 model were simply body color. Corsas had aluminum inserts.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Date: June 15, 2020 08:42AM

1965 and later Chevrolet dealer albums shows the silver painted rear air grill as a feature for the Monza series:

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: June 21, 2020 06:28AM

As a relative newbie to Corvairs, I have lots of questions, no answers. It’s not for me to say for certain that every ‘65 Monza came with silver painted rear air outlet grills.

I concentrated for years on a couple of Studebakers: a very special ‘55 President Speedster and a ‘56 Golden Hawk boasting its big block Packard-built V8. In those model years there were constant running changes, some major, many involving paint schemes and trim pieces. After fifty years of ownership of the Hawk, I and others were still discovering idiosyncrasies in a lot of details, depending upon the assembly plant and week of production. Example: Speedster and early GH interiors included highly polished chrome-like stainless trim moldings elegantly outlining the windshield and rear window. Mid year ‘56 they announced a switch to non-reflecting and cheaper matte painted trim. In its final week of operations, output of the California plant included a few Golden Hawks a day, including my own. Each of them still had the supposedly discontinued polished window garnish trim. Only a couple of years ago, several of us finally realized that the California Golden Hawks were built with radiators from a different manufacturer, Modine. Fine radiators, but hose support brackets soldered to the fan shrouds were placed differently to accommodate routing of the radiator hoses... details never mentioned in the parts book or service literature. So variations can be elusive.

GM must have been a very different place. I imagine that a change in specifications would be documented somewhere in correspondence with dealers. I searched online and on eBay listings last night for ‘65 print ads. Every one showing rear views of a Monza had the silver rear grills.

Gil

Date: June 25, 2020 06:46PM

After obsessing over this grill for a few days, I’m hesitating to pick up that spray can of silver stuff. The guy who repainted the ‘65 Monza for the previous owner years ago did a really good job. When in doubt...

Attachments:

Date: June 25, 2020 08:35PM

GO FOR IT ! ! !
Just take your time, and do it correctly.
Make sure that you mask the backside also when you do it so the excess paint does not blow through the grill and go onto unintended places.
When you are finished with the grill, you can use some Black Paint to clean up the red over-spray on the bottom of the engine that was left behind by that "guy who painted it years ago".

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 25, 2020 08:49PM

What Mel says.thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.