Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Small Parts and a Big Part
Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: May 22, 2020 12:59PM

Today I have questions concerning a few more small parts, but first, a question about a big part:

I have a used Corvair crankshaft, just one. But I no longer remember where it came from, and I do not know whether it is for a 145-cid or 164-cid engine. What visual difference might I see to make that determination?

Now, on to today’s photos, below.

#1 shows three Corvair engine oil dipsticks. They’re all the same length, but as you can see they are different at the top. What, if any, significance is there to these differences?

#2 shows a small bracket. I am about 99 percent sure of what this is, but I am seeking confirmation (or contradiction).

#3 shows two pairs of bolts, each sharing a common nut. The nut is about 2-7/16" long.

Thank you for your help. I’m having fun sorting through all the parts I have accumulated through the decades; I hope you don’t mind these periodic questions.

–Bob

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Small Parts and a Big Part
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: May 22, 2020 01:20PM

The center dipstick matches the one in my very original 28,000 mile 62 Monza Sedan (84 hp).

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: Vern in Bend ()
Date: May 22, 2020 04:37PM

Bracket #2 goes on the clutch end of an FC clutch cable. Clevis pin goes through the big hole, rear cable spring through the small hole.

Regards, Vern

Bend, Oregon

'64 Corvan, daily driver - 45 years
'64 Rampside, personal driver - 27 years
'67 Monza Cpe, original owner - 33k miles
'80 Vanagon stalled project - 2.8 Corvair & T5 5-speed
'81 Vanagon high-top panel van - Now with Subi EJ253 & Subarugears 5-speed

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 22, 2020 07:09PM

Bob
I have a used Corvair crankshaft, just one. But I no longer remember where it came from, and I do not know whether it is for a 145-cid or 164-cid engine. What visual difference might I see to make that determination?

How about the large casting number? That is a very visible part that is different between 145 and 164. grinning smiley

BTW, you got an answer back in 2012.... smileys with beer

[corvaircenter.com]

This is why having a Junkyard Primer is important.thumbs up Helps the memory bank.winking smiley

So important, I took mine apart and scanned it to load into my phone and iPad. I also loaded the shop manuals from the Corvanatics site into my devices. very handy for tech sessions.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 22, 2020 07:10PM

OK, too much suspense, if the casting number is 8409, it is a 164 crank.

And if there is an ampersand (&) stamped in the rear front flange grinning smiley, near where a pilot bushing would go, it is a nitrited crank from a turbo or 140.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 07:13PM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: May 22, 2020 08:29PM

The 1st pic the one on the right does not look Corvair at all, the other 2 can't tell if it's the pic or what but looks like there is a bead or wire wrapped around from top to bottom.

Posted by: Wrencher ()
Date: May 22, 2020 09:24PM

FLSteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 1st pic the one on the right does not look Corvair at all, the other 2 can't tell if it's the pic or what but looks like there is a bead or wire wrapped around from top to bottom.

That's funny, the one on the right looks just like the one in my two '65 Monza engines made one day apart.

Hans

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 23, 2020 02:21AM

Oil dipstick on the right was on all LMs I scrapped. Also my Coupe and my More Door (80 hp). Greenbrier's 80 hp was changed out to the one on the right from the one on the left.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: May 23, 2020 08:13AM

Vern in Bend Wrote:

> Bracket #2 goes on the clutch end of an FC clutch cable. Clevis pin goes through the big hole, rear cable spring through the small hole. <

Vern, thank you, but I think my photo misled you. There is no big hole nor small hole, both holes are the same size. Here are two more photos that I hope will show the part more clearly.

Attachments:
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 23, 2020 05:03PM

#3 is for a 65 standard transmission shifter at the rear where the "reaction rod"(?) attaches to the
transmission cross member.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 24, 2020 09:50AM

Tim that is what I first thought but the part that you are thinking of is 5/16"x 18 course threads and those look like fine threads and those bolts are too long. Your application would be for all late models with a manual trans. That bracket also looks a little too thick.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: May 24, 2020 02:41PM

Okay, #3 is proving to be a stumper so I'll throw in my own guess.

I think they are related to securing control arms to crossmembers, possibly on Forward Control models, maybe also earlies but certainly not lates.

But I really don't know.

--Bob

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 24, 2020 05:04PM

You may be right Bob. What size are the threads? 3/8s or 5/16s?

Date: May 26, 2020 04:29PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:

> You may be right Bob. What size are the threads? 3/8s or 5/16s? <

3/8ths.

WhyImWhenIm64

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: May 30, 2020 08:39PM

Hi guys, I'm rebuilding a 65 180 turbo engine. The bearings that were in it were all std size. The crankshaft has the part # 8409 on one side of the throw between main journals # 3 &.4, & 16 B on the other side. It has the letter R stamped on the throw between mains # 2 & 3. Also has G M T on throw between mains 1 & 2. I could not find any ampersand anywhere on the crankshaft. The area around the flange near the pilot bushing has no marks.
Do you think this is a standard shaft, not a nitrided one ? The engine s/n indicates that it is in fact a genuine 65 140 or turbo Any feed back ?
Doug Ward

Date: May 30, 2020 09:56PM

Yep, no Ampersand means no nitriding.

Here is a link to a picture on corvairforum.com

[www.corvairforum.com]

Unless you are going to run it hard a lot, I would not worry about it, just use a good harmonic balancer, not an old one that has dried up. Other might chime in.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.