Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Wiper and heater
Posted by: Mertz ()
Date: May 26, 2020 02:13PM

Update. My clock was working until I reset the time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 26, 2020 03:01PM

You just can't win! Reset it again Most likely the contacts are dirty

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: May 27, 2020 12:09PM

What was your OHM reading when you measured the short through the dome light lamp?

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: May 27, 2020 12:29PM

I didn’t take an ohm reading. I used a test light on the battery. If the light was on I had a draw when it went off the draw was gone.

BTW. There is a mouse hole in the headliner but the drivers side visor. I figure a mouse did something to wire.

Date: May 27, 2020 03:05PM

Just started the Corvair and noticed the fuel gauge seems to be working. It’s showing about what I should have in it. Clock still hasn’t come back to life.

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: May 28, 2020 07:27AM

Mertz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn’t take an ohm reading. I used a test light on the battery. If the light was on I had a draw when it went off the draw was gone.
>
> BTW. There is a mouse hole in the headliner but the drivers side visor. I figure a mouse did something to wire.
how did you connect the the test light to the dome light? The resistance of a cool filament can easily be low enough to light a test light, which is not indicative of a short.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: May 28, 2020 08:22AM

I disconnected the negative battery terminal and connected the test light between the cable and the negative post on the battery. As long as there was a draw on the battery the light would stay on. With the bulb in the light was on with it out the light went out. It worked the same way as when I was checking fuses. That’s how I found which circuit had the short. It was a lot easier than doing ohm readings because I could see right away if I found the problem.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 28, 2020 08:32AM

So you had the doors closed when you did that test? If not, it did exactly what is expected from a good system.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: May 28, 2020 09:07AM

I did it both ways. With the bulb in and not Lite, door closed, it would light the tester. I have the fuse in now for a few days and the battery has not run down like it did before I pulled the bulb.

Date: May 28, 2020 11:12AM

Went back to check it again and with bulb in and door closed there is no longer a draw. It seems to come and go. First it was the horn relay and then it wasn’t.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 30, 2020 10:10AM

Did you check the glove box light? Sometimes they don't turn off like they should.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: May 30, 2020 12:15PM

I could not find the glove box light. I have the door open but don’t see any light. It isn’t in the hole in the cardboard. Door is open to keep the mice out.

Re: Fuel gauge pegged!
Posted by: Coho Cliff ()
Date: June 10, 2020 03:33PM

I'm new to this post but have a similar issue with my fuel gauge. The tank was out during restoration and a new sender was installed during that time. Since reassembly I've put about 3-4 gallons of gas in the tank but the gauge remains at zero. The sender registers about 40 ohms to ground now. The ground wire for the sender is correctly attached to clean metal on the body. The "hot" wire for the gauge reads about 8.4 VDC to ground when disconnected from the sender. Wiring diagrams show little to nothing about how this part of the instrumentation is supposed to work. Nothing in the shop manual either. What should I be looking for at this point?

Thanks for any help.

Date: June 10, 2020 04:12PM

Sounds like its a '65-9 car? 0-90 ohms... add 4 more gallons and see what it reads.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Coho Cliff ()
Date: June 11, 2020 07:27AM

Yes, it's a 66 Monza Coupe. The resistance of the sending unit seems to make sense , 40 ohms, with some gas in the tank. But the 8.4 VDC reading for the hot wire when disconnected from the sender seems low, especially when measured with high impedance meter. Any idea where I might find a wiring diagram of the whole fuel gauge circuit?

Date: June 11, 2020 07:38AM

Someone here has it! gg

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 11, 2020 08:02AM

I.can get one later today, but it is in the shop manual.

Fuse box inst power fuse to gauge, brown wire from gage to sender. Good luck pulling instrument panel to access gauge. Black wire on sender to body structure.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.