Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Wiper and heater
Posted by: Mertz ()
Date: May 21, 2020 11:17AM

I finally got my 68 Monza 140 running and polished ready for the road. It has sat for about 20 years. All the accessories were working somewhat. The wipers worked and the heater fan was slow at high speed and then quit. Now the wipers don’t work. I needed to repaint the dash so I took it out cleaned things up cleaned the ground strap tried to get the clock working. I put it back in today and hooked up the yellow wire from the wipers directly to the fuse box. Tried the wipers and they worked fine then I turned on the heater fan and it did not work and now the wipers don’t work. The connection on the fuse box is no longer hot. I tried plugging the yellow wire into the radio terminal which is hot and still no wipers. I’m also getting the test light coming on on the top 3 fuses but not on the rest. The terminals say they are fused. Where are those fuses? I don’t really need the heater but would like the wipers to work.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wiper and heater
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 21, 2020 11:28AM

The fuse box is under the dashboard attached to the chassis. It's the part of the car that would be the firewall in another car. (The back of the car is the firewall in a Corvair.) If you look underneath and still can't find it, go pop your "frunk" and look at the upper portion next to the Master Cylinder. See those two screws poking through that are covered in plastic? Those are the attachment screws for the fuse box. (Ah! The simpler 1960's.) When you get to it, you'll see the fuses are the old style cylinder-shaped ones. They are clearly labeled (that is, if the labels are still clear) and you should see what you are looking for. You also may want to invest in the upgraded fuse box sold here on this forum by cnicol (username).

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: May 21, 2020 11:36AM

I know where the fuse box is just not sure where the fuses are for the fused terminals on the fuse box. I’m going under and cleaning the rusty fuse holders and see what happens. There was no problem with the connections until today.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 21, 2020 11:47AM

Cleaning will most likely fix it.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 21, 2020 11:49AM

Is there anything on the back of the fuse box that needs cleaning?

Date: May 21, 2020 01:03PM

Just a paper insulator...never hurts to look at it

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 21, 2020 01:03PM

I cleaned all the fuse connections and still no wipers. I ran a jumper wire to the wipers and they work. I think maybe the yellow power wire has a break in it somewhere. I’m going to run a new wire and get them working again.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 21, 2020 01:32PM

Remember the switch is GROUND. Do NOT run 12V through thee switch

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 21, 2020 01:36PM

When checking for power in the fuse box touch the terminals that hold the fuse and not the fuse. That way you know that the power is getting thru both of the connections at the fuse. When you say that 3 fuses had power but the others didn't, some fuses are battery powered and hot all of the time and some will need the key on to power them. Then there are some that would be hot with the lights on.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: May 21, 2020 02:34PM

I’m not running power thru the switch I ran a jumper wire from the radio fuse to the yellow wire on the pump. Then cut the yellow wire to the wipers from the harness. I now have wipers. I have another recurring problem that might be related. I have a substantial constant draw on the battery that went away when I unplugged the horn relay but came back when I pushed the horn button. I bought a new relay and that didn’t fix it and now unplugging does not work. I have to take out the clkltr fuse and the draw goes away but I need that circuit for the turn signals. Again this seems to come and go. Unplugging the steering column harness did not help.

Other electronic issues include heater fan not working, I suspect a grounding issue. The fuel gauge is pegged a way past full pointed at about 3:00. Also is probably a grounding issue.

Re: Fuel gauge pegged!
Date: May 21, 2020 02:45PM

60's GM gauge is just the opposite of most... FULL = 0 ohms

Most likely NO ground / Sender open [ng]. Ground the wire at the sender and gauge should go to empty.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 21, 2020 03:07PM

Matt your troubleshooting advice is correct but "0" ohms at the sending unit - EMPTY (not full)

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 21, 2020 03:20PM

Mertz wrote: "clkltr fuse and the draw goes away but I need that circuit for the turn signals."

Craig replies: The Clock / Lighter / Courtesy / Hazard fuse is not involved with the turn signals. The turn signals are unfused and rely on the flasher itself to limit current. THe 4-way flashers are powered by this fuse but that circuit is separate from the turn signals.

I would look at the items powered by that fuse as the source of your battery train. First on the list is the clock.

And yes, there are connections on the back of the fuse panel. (thanks to Dale Smalley aka oldgmguy)

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Date: May 21, 2020 04:05PM

Thanks for the picture of the back of the fuse box. I just tried to remove it but could not loosen the bolts. There is something going on under the dash. First I found the jump wire on the back of the jumper plug was plugged into itself. I assume that should have gone to the clock. I unplugged it and the short went away. I reached under dash to see if I could reach the clock and the draw came back. The wire is now completely unplugged and I still have the short. I have traced everything I could reach. When I had the dash out I found a small black wire and a yellow wire unplugged and could not determine where they should go. Other than that I could not find any bare wires. I have had mice in the car but they don’t seem to have bothered any wiring.

You are correct I do have turn signals with the fuse out but the right one stays on when the lights are on. Left one works lights on or off.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 21, 2020 04:10PM

Mertz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the picture of the back of the fuse box. I just tried to remove it but could not loosen the bolts. There is something going on under the dash. First I found the jump wire on the back of the jumper plug was plugged into itself. I assume that should have gone to the clock. I unplugged it and the short went away. I reached under dash to see if I could reach the clock and the draw came back. The wire is now completely unplugged and I still have the short. I have traced everything I could reach. When I had the dash out I found a small black wire and a yellow wire unplugged and could not determine where they should go. Other than that I could not find any bare wires. I have had mice in the car but they don’t seem to have bothered any wiring.
>
> You are correct I do have turn signals with the fuse out but the right one stays on when the lights are on. Left one works lights on or off.

You have a ground issue in your lights system somewhere.
Not saying that this is your issue.
Just another issue.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Date: May 21, 2020 04:11PM

I grounded the sending unit wire and it went empty. Should I assume a bad sending unit. If I need a ground house that done. I assume the tank is grounded to the frame. The tank has sat with some gas in it until last year when I drained what was left. I suppose it could be a stuck float.

Date: May 21, 2020 04:24PM

Tank Sender is NOT grounded. It's insulated by rubber RING that seals it.

Yes a dedicated wire from the sender to the body nearby is required.

Date: May 21, 2020 04:30PM

I did not see one. I will check for one tomorrow. Is there a attachment on the unit?

Date: May 21, 2020 04:50PM

yes approx 6" wire with ring terminal for sheetmetal screw to hold it against body metal.

Date: May 21, 2020 05:04PM

Thanks I will check for the connection and make sure the ground is good.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.