Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Jaslinmnz ()
Date: May 21, 2020 12:12AM

Hi ! I’m new here & to corvairs in general. I’m planning on buying a 1966 this weekend. The guy did a a lot of work on the inside & out.

This is gonna be my first car ever, I’m not sure if that’s exactly a good thing (hoping y’all could help). I’m just absolutely infatuated with old, vintage, classic cars, so when I first saw the corvair I was smitten.

Bc it will be my first car (therefore my only car) I plan on using it as a daily driver, mainly to & from work which is roughly 3.5miles from my house & I work Mon-Fri. I’m almost 20 tho so I do plan on going out with it & such. I live in Pennsylvania btw, it snows.

So the basis of my question is:
1) is this a good idea ?
2) if so, can someone explain the maintenance I may have to do ?

Thanks !

Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 21, 2020 01:04AM

WELCOME TO CCF ! ! !
#1.) I think it is a GREAT idea! (But others will disagree with me I am sure.)
I use mine as year-round daily drivers.
After all, GM made them to be DRIVEN!
Corvairs drive fine in the snow.
BUUUUUT, . . . . Do they salt the roads in Penn.?
If so, then you might want to avoid driving ANY classic car in the Winter there. Salt will turn it to RUST and DEVOUR you awesome little Corvair. sad smiley
#2.) As for maintenance, we can walk you through anything that you need to do. Ask LOTS of questions.
As for this car that you want to buy, there are many questions that you should be asking before purchase, and many things that you should be looking for too.
It would be good for you to create a "Signature Line" in your profile, and include your location(where in Penn.), so that we can know where you are.
There may be someone very close to you, that can help you evaluate this car as to whether it is a good candidate for purchase or not.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 01:06AM by American Mel.

Attachments:

Date: May 21, 2020 01:21AM

Just went on CL and looked at Penn. Corvairs for sale.
Is it this one?

> > Click here for CL '66 Corvair < <

If so, I would be very careful about it.
Have someone who knows Corvairs, or at LEAST old classic cars go with you to check it out.
Two things that are GIANT red-flags for me are,
The fact that he painted it the same week that he is trying to sell it.
AND,
He has applied brand NEW undercoating!
BOTH of these things point to a Flipper, that has simply thrown a bunch of body putty into all of the rusty holes, and covered-up the rusty floors with a thick coat of undercoating.
It is really late, and WAAAAAY past my bedtime.
Other will chime in here soon as the sun is about to come up on the East coast.
They will give you some really sound advive.
Listen to what they have to say.
No one on here is out to steer you wrong.

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 21, 2020 02:14AM

I say, if it is a well sorted out car, then go for it. Whicph means it usually has maintenance records and a high dollar associated to it. If it is a 54 year old car parked for years, buy a reasonable price modern car first for daily transportation. Buy the Vair or another one and take your time to make it reliable. Try to figure out why it was parked. People don't park great running cars. Rubber will be hard and rotted in suspension, worn out steering probably present if over 60k miles. Axle bearings need repack or replacing. Engine, transmission, differential could be worn out. Electrical wiring is 50 years old and maybe all cut up by previous owners. What about body rust in the quarters, windshield frame, doors, subframe.

Lots to look at. Have someone knowledge with Corvairs check out the car with the knowledge you want to buy it as your primary car. Most Vair people will give you the straight scoop.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: FL103Dave ()
Date: May 21, 2020 07:12AM

I suggest finding a club or mech in your area for support. I drove a Corvair as my only car from 16 into my 30s. No issues and they make good cars for commuting. The maintenance is fairly low but buying a 50+ year old car may require some up front work to get it into daily driver condition to start with

Dave

Naples, Florida
1968 Monza Coupe 140 4 Speed, Quick Steer, HD Suspension, Tele Wheel - My Dad bought new in Jan 1968 - 265,000 miles
1974 Corvette - 350 Auto.
2016 Cadillac ATS-V
2003 Harley-Davidson Road King

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: May 21, 2020 07:35AM

Welcome to CCF. In addition to finding a club near you and adding your city here there are two places in Penn of help. First is CORVAIR RANCH and the other is John Sweet. You can find John here that is his sig name.

Also if you look in 'stickies' here for FAQ you will find a checklist for buying a Corvair. That still isn't as good as taking someone with you that knows the cars.

Good luck and yes they can be used daily but as Mel stated your weather/road conditions in Penn will not be good on the body for long.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 21, 2020 08:48AM

Nothing wrong with your plan. I bought my first car when I was 17 years old, a 67 Corvair 500 110HP 3 speed.
I had a lot of fun with this car it was pretty reliable with minimal maintenance. I learned a lot with this
car and drove it far distances back then. This was back in the late 70s. I have owned Corvairs since 1977 and
continue to drive them long distance. I drove my 69 Monza coupe to Chicago last summer from SW Colorado with no
issues AT ALL. I keep my cars well maintained and keep a close eye on them. Join Corsa (our mother club) and receive
some complimentary books on how to keep your Corvair alive. WELCOME!

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 21, 2020 11:19AM

Welcome! I drove my first Corvair at 16 in 1989. A great car to start out on.

Here is a 19-page guide about what to look for when buying a Corvair. I have included the first nine pages here as jpgs for you to peruse.

Pre-buy Checklist on a Corvair

Today begins for what will be a life-long love affair. There is an old Sam Adams commercial which I will now paraphrase:

"Corvair! Always a good decision."

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Attachments:

Date: May 21, 2020 11:45AM

Yes, it is that one. So in regards to the paint job & undercoat being a possible issue, what should I look at or do to see if it is or not ?

Date: May 21, 2020 11:52AM

I hope I’m replying to these right, still learning how to use this forum.

Anyway, about the snow. My block is typically last of the area to be taken care of & I work early so on that hand we’re fine. However, I’m not entirely sure if they salt it or just plow it. If salt is an issue, is there anyway around that or no ?
Thanks for the reply.

Date: May 21, 2020 11:57AM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just went on CL and looked at Penn. Corvairs for sale.
> Is it this one?
>
> > > Click here for CL '66 Corvair < <
>
> If so, I would be very careful about it.
> Have someone who knows Corvairs, or at LEAST old classic cars go with you to check it out.
> Two things that are GIANT red-flags for me are,
> The fact that he painted it the same week that he is trying to sell it.
> AND,
> He has applied brand NEW undercoating!

> BOTH of these things point to a Flipper, that has simply thrown a bunch of body putty into all of the rusty holes, and covered-up the rusty floors with a thick coat of undercoating.
> It is really late, and WAAAAAY past my bedtime.
> Other will chime in here soon as the sun is about to come up on the East coast.
> They will give you some really sound advive.
> Listen to what they have to say.
> No one on here is out to steer you wrong.

I replied but I’m not sure I did it correctly so here’s what I said if you didn’t see it: Yes, it is that one. So in regards to the paint job & undercoat being a possible issue, what should I look at or do to see if it is or not ?

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: May 21, 2020 12:15PM

Where are you in PA, I am in Phila. area upper bucks county Pa.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Date: May 21, 2020 12:48PM

firevair66 Wrote:
> Where are you in PA, I am in Phila. area upper bucks county Pa.

I’m in Temple which is Berks county. 1hr from Philly.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: May 21, 2020 12:57PM

Jaslinmnz Wrote:
> Yes, it is that one. So in regards to the paint job & undercoat being a possible issue, what should I look at or do to see if it is or not ?

First off, I absolutely agree with the reply made by American Mel regarding a freshly painted and undercoated vehicle for sale.
Ask the seller for "Before Photo's" and some of the repairs that were made. IF the seller says all they did was sand and paint it.....Run from it.

Take a very light strength magnet with you when looking at the car. One that won't stick to metal through the equivalent of about four sheets of paper.
Wrap some masking tape around the magnet so it is less likely to scratch the fresh paint.

The critical areas to check for bondo with the magnet would be at the lower corners of the windshield, at the bottom of the front fenders in front of and especially behind the wheel opening. In the door jamb around the lower hinges and along the rocker panels below the doors. Also check the lower 1/4 panels behind the rear wheels. These are the areas most prone to rust besides the bottom of the trunk.

Look in the engine compartment and be sure the rubber seal that goes between the sheet metal shrouds and the body is intact. Look at the rear motor mount and be sure it is good. Look under the engine to verify the lower shrouds are there and that the doors (Flaps) are in the closed position when the engine is cold, open when it is at operating temperatures. IF you can see the exhaust manifolds and push rod tubes, the lower shrouds are missing. Look to see if there are round flexible tubes going from the lower shrouds to the heater. IF they are missing or torn, your heat in the winter will be an issue. If the tubes are plastic or aluminum dryer hose they should be replaced sooner than later.

IF you are anywhere near Gettysburg PA, and are able to drive the car to have it looked over, make an appointment with the folks at the Corvair Ranch [corvairranch.com] and ask them to give it a look. Pay them for this service if needed as it could save you from making a mistake. They also do PA Vehicle Inspections there.

Also as mentioned, if you are not near Gettysburg PA, try to get someone local to you that is familiar with these vehicles to look at it on your behalf.

P.S.
I just looked on Map Quest. It appears that Temple Pa is just over 100 miles from Gettysburg PA. Having multiple choices within a couple hours of you for parts and service will be a good thing.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2020 01:02PM by Caraholic4life.

Date: May 21, 2020 01:18PM

Jaslinmnz check your PM's.

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: May 21, 2020 05:09PM

Caraholic4life Wrote:
> Jaslinmnz Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Yes, it is that one. So in regards to the paint job & undercoat being a possible issue, what should I look at or do to see if it is or not ?
>
> First off, I absolutely agree with the reply made by American Mel regarding a freshly painted and undercoated vehicle for sale.
> Ask the seller for "Before Photo's" and some of the repairs that were made. IF the seller says all they did was sand and paint it.....Run from it.
>
> Take a very light strength magnet with you when looking at the car. One that won't stick to metal through the equivalent of about four sheets of paper.
> Wrap some masking tape around the magnet so it is less likely to scratch the fresh paint.
>
> The critical areas to check for bondo with the magnet would be at the lower corners of the windshield, at the bottom of the front fenders in front of and especially behind the wheel opening. In the door jamb around the lower hinges and along the rocker panels below the doors. Also check the lower 1/4 panels behind the rear wheels. These are the areas most prone to rust besides the bottom of the trunk.
>
> Look in the engine compartment and be sure the rubber seal that goes between the sheet metal shrouds and the body is intact. Look at the rear motor mount and be sure it is good. Look under the engine to verify the lower shrouds are there and that the doors (Flaps) are in the closed position when the engine is cold, open when it is at operating temperatures. IF you can see the exhaust manifolds and push rod tubes, the lower shrouds are missing. Look to see if there are round flexible tubes going from the lower shrouds to the heater. IF they are missing or torn, your heat in the winter will be an issue. If the tubes are plastic or aluminum dryer hose they should be replaced sooner than later.
>
> IF you are anywhere near Gettysburg PA, and are able to drive the car to have it looked over, make an appointment with the folks at the Corvair Ranch [corvairranch.com] and ask them to give it a look. Pay them for this service if needed as it could save you from making a mistake. They also do PA Vehicle Inspections there.
>
> Also as mentioned, if you are not near Gettysburg PA, try to get someone local to you that is familiar with these vehicles to look at it on your behalf.
>
> P.S.
> I just looked on Map Quest. It appears that Temple Pa is just over 100 miles from Gettysburg PA. Having multiple choices within a couple hours of you for parts and service will be a good thing.

I got before pix from him but it’s not letting me put them in here

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: May 21, 2020 07:25PM

Welcome... Just one question are you mechanically inclined? Corvairs are fun cars that nowadays seem to be catching on and becoming very popular but still unique enough not to see any/many on a daily basis.

Date: May 21, 2020 07:47PM

FLSteve Wrote:
> Welcome... Just one question are you mechanically inclined? Corvairs are fun cars that nowadays seem to be catching on and becoming very popular but still unique enough not to see any/many on a daily basis.

Unfortunately I’m not but if I were to get the car I plan on learning how to deal with it

Date: May 21, 2020 07:55PM

Jaslinmnz Wrote:
> FLSteve Wrote:
> > Welcome... Just one question are you mechanically inclined? Corvairs are fun cars that nowadays seem to be catching on and becoming very popular but still unique enough not to see any/many on a daily basis.
>
>
> Unfortunately I’m not but if I were to get the car I plan on learning how to deal with it

thumbs up That is the correct attitude right there! thumbs up
They are not hard, you just gotta learn to use the "search" on here, and ask plenty of questions.

As for pictures, you are probably trying to post too large, or wrong format.
Everyone has their preferred method for resizing.
I use Paint and resize to 1000 pixels wide, and resave as a Jpeg.
Works fine for me.

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: May 21, 2020 11:04PM

Jaslinmnz Wrote:
> FLSteve Wrote:
> > Welcome... Just one question are you mechanically inclined? Corvairs are fun cars that nowadays seem to be catching on and becoming very popular but still unique enough not to see any/many on a daily basis.
>
>
> Unfortunately I’m not but if I were to get the car I plan on learning how to deal with it

Great attitude!! These cars are very simple but because they are different many are afraid.

The advice and direction you can get from this phorum is amazing. Just the other night I was speaking to a fellow Corvair club member about getting more youthful people involved in Corvairs. We both agreed to open up our parts stash to ensure sucess.

Second question have you driven/ridden in a Corvair?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.