Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"



Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 22, 2020 06:27AM

Steve has a great attitude that many others in the clubs have. We would rather see our stuff put to use and not just sit on our
shelves waiting for the inevitable. Years ago my wife and I drove our Corvair camper van from SW Colorado to Michigan for an
adventure and a Corvair show (The Homecoming- a great annual event). I hit a deer just a couple hours from our home and broke the
headlight, turn signals, and did some damage to the right front. I posted this info just for conversation. When we arrived a few
days later in Michigan a few of the club members were ready for us as they had seen the pictures posted and had gathered everything
we needed and installed it for us for the trip home. All parts and labor were done FREE. Again I thank Pete Koehler and John Sweet
for their kindness and hospitality. Just another reason I have always said "Corvair people are the greatest". On a different road trip
my fuel pump quit and I did not have a spare with me. I broke out my Corsa Club Roster and found Richard Downey lived nearby in Flagstaff
AZ. I called him up and a short time later he was there with the needed part to get me the 300 miles home. CORVAIR PEOPLE ARE THE GREATEST!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: TheRealHip ()
Date: May 22, 2020 07:23AM

Well that's cool!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Jaslinmnz ()
Date: May 22, 2020 12:25PM

FLSteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jaslinmnz Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > FLSteve Wrote:
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > > Welcome... Just one question are you mechanically inclined? Corvairs are fun cars that nowadays seem to be catching on and becoming very popular but still unique enough not to see any/many on a daily basis.
> >
> >
> > Unfortunately I’m not but if I were to get the car I plan on learning how to deal with it
>
> Great attitude!! These cars are very simple but because they are different many are afraid.
>
> The advice and direction you can get from this phorum is amazing. Just the other night I was speaking to a fellow Corvair club member about getting more youthful people involved in Corvairs. We both agreed to open up our parts stash to ensure sucess.
>
> Second question have you driven/ridden in a Corvair?

To answer your question, no I haven’t ever driven a corvair before.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: May 22, 2020 12:31PM

Resale white paint job. It never hurts to be skeptical and ask questions and do some due diligence. Good luck.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible
2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Ltd.
2020 Corvette HTC 3LT,Z51,FE4 (on order)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Jaslinmnz ()
Date: May 22, 2020 05:02PM

Caraholic4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jaslinmnz Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Yes, it is that one. So in regards to the paint job & undercoat being a possible issue, what should I look at or do to see if it is or not ?
>
> First off, I absolutely agree with the reply made by American Mel regarding a freshly painted and undercoated vehicle for sale.
> Ask the seller for "Before Photo's" and some of the repairs that were made. IF the seller says all they did was sand and paint it.....Run from it.
>
> Take a very light strength magnet with you when looking at the car. One that won't stick to metal through the equivalent of about four sheets of paper.
> Wrap some masking tape around the magnet so it is less likely to scratch the fresh paint.
>
> The critical areas to check for bondo with the magnet would be at the lower corners of the windshield, at the bottom of the front fenders in front of and especially behind the wheel opening. In the door jamb around the lower hinges and along the rocker panels below the doors. Also check the lower 1/4 panels behind the rear wheels. These are the areas most prone to rust besides the bottom of the trunk.
>
> Look in the engine compartment and be sure the rubber seal that goes between the sheet metal shrouds and the body is intact. Look at the rear motor mount and be sure it is good. Look under the engine to verify the lower shrouds are there and that the doors (Flaps) are in the closed position when the engine is cold, open when it is at operating temperatures. IF you can see the exhaust manifolds and push rod tubes, the lower shrouds are missing. Look to see if there are round flexible tubes going from the lower shrouds to the heater. IF they are missing or torn, your heat in the winter will be an issue. If the tubes are plastic or aluminum dryer hose they should be replaced sooner than later.
>
> IF you are anywhere near Gettysburg PA, and are able to drive the car to have it looked over, make an appointment with the folks at the Corvair Ranch [corvairranch.com] and ask them to give it a look. Pay them for this service if needed as it could save you from making a mistake. They also do PA Vehicle Inspections there.
>
> Also as mentioned, if you are not near Gettysburg PA, try to get someone local to you that is familiar with these vehicles to look at it on your behalf.
>
> P.S.
> I just looked on Map Quest. It appears that Temple Pa is just over 100 miles from Gettysburg PA. Having multiple choices within a couple hours of you for parts and service will be a good thing.

I figured out how to attach images! So he sent me maybe 10-12 images but since I can only attach 3 I chose the most gnarly looking ones. He said those were the before photos of the car that he got from the guy that sold it to him. Said guy was restoring it little by little he said.

Please let me know your thoughts on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachments:


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 22, 2020 05:37PM

Now I am REALLY leery of it.
I do not see how he could have that rust work done CORRECTLY, and still be able to afford to sell the car for $4500.oo
If he is a REAL bodyman, he could have done it himself, but then he is giving his work away for free!
To truly repair that windshield rust correctly, the entire windshield would need to be removed, and all of that rust CUT-OUT, and new metal welded in.
Why would someone go to ALL of that work, get it painted, and sell the car the same week?
Wouldn't YOU want to drive it for a while and enjoy what you have done, at least for a short time, before just selling away immediately?
DEFINITELY take a Corvair person with you to check it out!
Or take it to the Corvair Ranch and have them inspect it.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
.
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Jaslinmnz ()
Date: May 22, 2020 06:01PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now I am REALLY leery of it.
> I do not see how he could have that rust work done CORRECTLY, and still be able to afford to sell the car for $4500.oo
> If he is a REAL bodyman, he could have done it himself, but then he is giving his work away for free!
> To truly repair that windshield rust correctly, the entire windshield would need to be removed, and all of that rust CUT-OUT, and new metal welded in.
> Why would someone go to ALL of that work, get it painted, and sell the car the same week?
> Wouldn't YOU want to drive it for a while and enjoy what you have done, at least for a short time, before just selling away immediately?
> DEFINITELY take a Corvair person with you to check it out!
> Or take it to the Corvair Ranch and have them inspect it.


Ok, thank you for the advice. Are there any questions you think I could ask him now on message ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 22, 2020 06:43PM

Along the lines of American Mel's comments, I'd say very simply, just ask him why he is selling it. You will get a lot from his answer as well as the way he says it. If he doesn't care about the car, then he didn't take care of it or repair it properly.

Just like someone flipping a house.

____________________________________________

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 22, 2020 07:04PM

I would also ask him if the is a PA car or was it imported from a rust friendly state. Mine has lived in Pa all it life, I've owned since it was a year old. It was my DD for more than 20 years. I started restoring it in the 90s. It was a rust disaster. I don't want to discourage you, but I don't to see you get hurt on the deal either.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: May 22, 2020 07:43PM

Jaslinmnz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> American Mel Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Now I am REALLY leery of it.
> > I do not see how he could have that rust work done CORRECTLY, and still be able to afford to sell the car for $4500.oo
> > If he is a REAL bodyman, he could have done it himself, but then he is giving his work away for free!
> > To truly repair that windshield rust correctly, the entire windshield would need to be removed, and all of that rust CUT-OUT, and new metal welded in.
> > Why would someone go to ALL of that work, get it painted, and sell the car the same week?
> > Wouldn't YOU want to drive it for a while and enjoy what you have done, at least for a short time, before just selling away immediately?
> > DEFINITELY take a Corvair person with you to check it out!
> > Or take it to the Corvair Ranch and have them inspect it.
>
>
> Ok, thank you for the advice. Are there any questions you think I could ask him now on message ?

Ask him if he would take 2500? Drive it for a year or so and have fun

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: '66Corvair ()
Date: May 22, 2020 08:16PM

Jaslinmnz, guessing you're a teenager? I just bought a Corvair as my first car (I'm 18, and had been previously just driving one of the family cars). It's been an incredibly fun experience. I'm still pretty new to 'Vair's, so I don't have much advice to offer you on the specific car. But I will say that Corvairs are very enjoyable to drive and are quite reliable (at least mine has been; it's never left me stranded). It's also a '66. Best of luck!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Jaslinmnz ()
Date: May 22, 2020 08:16PM

FLSteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jaslinmnz Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > American Mel Wrote:
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > > Now I am REALLY leery of it.
> > > I do not see how he could have that rust work done CORRECTLY, and still be able to afford to sell the car for $4500.oo
> > > If he is a REAL bodyman, he could have done it himself, but then he is giving his work away for free!
> > > To truly repair that windshield rust correctly, the entire windshield would need to be removed, and all of that rust CUT-OUT, and new metal welded in.
> > > Why would someone go to ALL of that work, get it painted, and sell the car the same week?
> > > Wouldn't YOU want to drive it for a while and enjoy what you have done, at least for a short time, before just selling away immediately?
> > > DEFINITELY take a Corvair person with you to check it out!
> > > Or take it to the Corvair Ranch and have them inspect it.
> >
> >
> > Ok, thank you for the advice. Are there any questions you think I could ask him now on message ?
>
> Ask him if he would take 2500? Drive it for a year or so and have fun

So it’s that bad ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Jaslinmnz ()
Date: May 22, 2020 08:18PM

'66Corvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jaslinmnz, guessing you're a teenager? I just bought a Corvair as my first car (I'm 18, and had been previously just driving one of the family cars). It's been an incredibly fun experience. I'm still pretty new to 'Vair's, so I don't have much advice to offer you on the specific car. But I will say that Corvairs are very enjoyable to drive and are quite reliable (at least mine has been; it's never left me stranded). It's also a '66. Best of luck!

Kinda I’m just about 20, & that’s good to hear, if not this one I’m definitely gonna look into getting another. Can I ask, how much did yours go for ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 22, 2020 08:19PM

How far are you or the car from Bethlehem?

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Jaslinmnz ()
Date: May 22, 2020 08:21PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How far are you or the car from Bethlehem?


I live in Temple which is in Berks county, the car is in South Philly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 22, 2020 08:26PM

OK I thought it might be easy for me to help, but I really don't like driving in south Philly, or any part of it for that matter. Sorry

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Jaslinmnz ()
Date: May 22, 2020 08:27PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK I thought it might be easy for me to help, but I really don't like driving in south Philly, or any part of it for that matter. Sorry


No it’s fine I understand, thanks tho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: May 23, 2020 05:23AM

After looking at the "Before" photo's posted, I would agree with the comments regarding what would be needed to correctly repair the rusty areas that were visible.
Given how much appears in those photo's, I can only begin to guess how much rust was in the other critical area's. I am thinking the repair success or failures may become obvious within a year or two.

Back in the mid 1980's a friend had a very nice late coupe that was being restored. After getting well into body work, the windshield area along the top was discovered to be in need of extensive repairs even though it was not obvious when the restoration began. There was a lot of metal removed and replaced to properly repair this area. It was NOT done quickly, or inexpensively, but it was done well and eventually began to fail again after about thirty years.

This friend still has the car and is in process of going through it again. I have advised him to find a better body and transfer the rest of his components to it.

My suggestion to you if you want a Corvair as a daily driver is to be patient.
Learn as much as you can to learn what to look for in a potential vehicle, where the problem area's might be, then take your time looking.
Eventually the right vehicle will become available and you will know it when you see it.

IF you jump in with both feet without being cautious, you are more likely to purchase a vehicle that will not only be a disappointment, but could turn you off on these vehicles all together and that would be a shame.

There are probably a lot of better Corvair's out there for the money you are willing to spend. I don't think the white '66 500 coupe you are looking at would be a good investment at this time regardless of the price.

Start another thread, add your general location to the "Signature Line".
Within that thread let others know you are in the market for a Corvair as a daily driver.
List some of your most basic preferences:

Early Model (1960-1964), Late Model (1965-1969), or Forward Control (F.C. 1961-1965)
Automatic or Manual transmission. Coupe, Convertible, Four Door, Van etc...

Again, Do Not be in a Hurry to purchase the wrong vehicle. Take your time. JMO

P.S.
Buying a vehicle that is presentable but will need paint at the same price point as a freshly painted one may often be the better deal in the long run.
In today's economy, a properly done complete, same color re-paint of a Corvair without a lot of body work (Excluding rust repair) can cost $4,000.00 and up.

A vehicle with fifteen year old paint that is solid and runs well will be a better option.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2020 05:28AM by Caraholic4life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: Jaslinmnz ()
Date: May 23, 2020 10:39AM

Caraholic4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After looking at the "Before" photo's posted, I would agree with the comments regarding what would be needed to correctly repair the rusty areas that were visible.
> Given how much appears in those photo's, I can only begin to guess how much rust was in the other critical area's. I am thinking the repair success or failures may become obvious within a year or two.
>
> Back in the mid 1980's a friend had a very nice late coupe that was being restored. After getting well into body work, the windshield area along the top was discovered to be in need of extensive repairs even though it was not obvious when the restoration began. There was a lot of metal removed and replaced to properly repair this area. It was NOT done quickly, or inexpensively, but it was done well and eventually began to fail again after about thirty years.
>
> This friend still has the car and is in process of going through it again. I have advised him to find a better body and transfer the rest of his components to it.
>
> My suggestion to you if you want a Corvair as a daily driver is to be patient.
> Learn as much as you can to learn what to look for in a potential vehicle, where the problem area's might be, then take your time looking.
> Eventually the right vehicle will become available and you will know it when you see it.
>
> IF you jump in with both feet without being cautious, you are more likely to purchase a vehicle that will not only be a disappointment, but could turn you off on these vehicles all together and that would be a shame.
>
> There are probably a lot of better Corvair's out there for the money you are willing to spend. I don't think the white '66 500 coupe you are looking at would be a good investment at this time regardless of the price.
>
> Start another thread, add your general location to the "Signature Line".
> Within that thread let others know you are in the market for a Corvair as a daily driver.
> List some of your most basic preferences:
>
> Early Model (1960-1964), Late Model (1965-1969), or Forward Control (F.C. 1961-1965)
> Automatic or Manual transmission. Coupe, Convertible, Four Door, Van etc...
>
> Again, Do Not be in a Hurry to purchase the wrong vehicle. Take your time. JMO
>
> P.S.
> Buying a vehicle that is presentable but will need paint at the same price point as a freshly painted one may often be the better deal in the long run.
> In today's economy, a properly done complete, same color re-paint of a Corvair without a lot of body work (Excluding rust repair) can cost $4,000.00 and up.
>
> A vehicle with fifteen year old paint that is solid and runs well will be a better option.

Thank you for the advice it’s well appreciated. & yeah I asked the guy about how the rust problem was solved.
He said (& I quote): “there was no rust under the car the rest was taken off & body filler & painted”

Now me not being mechanically inclined I’m not sure if that was a good or bad thing, thoughts?

But I’ll definitely try reaching out on here to try to find a Corvair.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a ‘66 Corvair, advice ?
Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: May 23, 2020 11:01AM

Jaslinmnz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Caraholic4life Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > After looking at the "Before" photo's posted, I would agree with the comments regarding what would be needed to correctly repair the rusty areas that were visible.
> > Given how much appears in those photo's, I can only begin to guess how much rust was in the other critical area's. I am thinking the repair success or failures may become obvious within a year or two.
> >
> > Back in the mid 1980's a friend had a very nice late coupe that was being restored. After getting well into body work, the windshield area along the top was discovered to be in need of extensive repairs even though it was not obvious when the restoration began. There was a lot of metal removed and replaced to properly repair this area. It was NOT done quickly, or inexpensively, but it was done well and eventually began to fail again after about thirty years.
> >
> > This friend still has the car and is in process of going through it again. I have advised him to find a better body and transfer the rest of his components to it.
> >
> > My suggestion to you if you want a Corvair as a daily driver is to be patient.
> > Learn as much as you can to learn what to look for in a potential vehicle, where the problem area's might be, then take your time looking.
> > Eventually the right vehicle will become available and you will know it when you see it.
> >
> > IF you jump in with both feet without being cautious, you are more likely to purchase a vehicle that will not only be a disappointment, but could turn you off on these vehicles all together and that would be a shame.
> >
> > There are probably a lot of better Corvair's out there for the money you are willing to spend. I don't think the white '66 500 coupe you are looking at would be a good investment at this time regardless of the price.
> >
> > Start another thread, add your general location to the "Signature Line".
> > Within that thread let others know you are in the market for a Corvair as a daily driver.
> > List some of your most basic preferences:
> >
> > Early Model (1960-1964), Late Model (1965-1969), or Forward Control (F.C. 1961-1965)
> > Automatic or Manual transmission. Coupe, Convertible, Four Door, Van etc...
> >
> > Again, Do Not be in a Hurry to purchase the wrong vehicle. Take your time. JMO
> >
> > P.S.
> > Buying a vehicle that is presentable but will need paint at the same price point as a freshly painted one may often be the better deal in the long run.
> > In today's economy, a properly done complete, same color re-paint of a Corvair without a lot of body work (Excluding rust repair) can cost $4,000.00 and up.
> >
> > A vehicle with fifteen year old paint that is solid and runs well will be a better option.
>
> Thank you for the advice it’s well appreciated. & yeah I asked the guy about how the rust problem was solved.
> He said (& I quote): “there was no rust under the car the rest was taken off & body filler & painted”
>
> Now me not being mechanically inclined I’m not sure if that was a good or bad thing, thoughts?
>
> But I’ll definitely try reaching out on here to try to find a Corvair.

Sounds like he might be telling a tall tail. There is rust you can see in the pictures. The rust might not have been under the car but it definitely was on top. Just using filler will get you more rust soon than later.
Good luck!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Current Page: 2 of 3


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.