Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
LOW PRICED Sound Mats on Amazon
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 17, 2020 07:13PM

Hey all,

I am still in the process of soundproofing my car, and 50mil has been all I really need. For those who feel the same, I just ran across this deal on Amazon:

Car Sound Deadener Foam 50mil 25 Square Feet - $11.69 and free shipping

That is SOOO much less than I have seen. The same amount and size in Kilmat goes for $45 or so. I bought lots. I figure if I get it and it looks like crap I can always return it. Amazon is easy like that.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LOW PRICED Sound Mats on Amazon
Posted by: Dave Decker ()
Date: May 17, 2020 07:31PM

Great tip, Thanks!

Dave, Kamloops, B.C. '65 Crown V8, 2017 Mazda CX3

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 17, 2020 07:51PM

It is a foam product. It is advertised as both a sound deadener and a heat insulator. I suspect it is not as good as an engineered sound deadener. Maybe a heat insulation blanket, but foam may hold water. So make sure it is not placed in areas water can get to it, like inside doors or coupe rear window area. Cost should not be prime reason when picking a product like this. Any product must be researched out to ensure detrimental effects to the car will not occur.

I used Dynamat on our Camaro roof for a sound deadener, then a Lowe's R22 insulation sheet for heat reflection. Dynamat and Hush mat will be used through cabin of the camaro and trunk area. Insulation to keep cool inside the car will be look at this year.

Our More Door got Dynamat on under rear seat floor and rear wall. It worked good to reduce noise from Harley pipes exiting straight out the back.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: May 17, 2020 08:54PM

It says "Foam," in the headline, but I don't see any evidence of that in the pictures. It looks more like the same Butyl product.

I'm also seeing that it is suddenly out of stock. Hope I don't get an email from Amazon canceling my order.

I still have some Kilmat, So I will compare when it comes; these descriptions and pictures are what made me pull the trigger on it, and made me conclude they were the same: (Pictures--Kilmat left, Aymario right)

KILMAT $33.99
Automotive self-adhesive insulation consists of butyl.
KILMAT sound deadening has a total weight of 0.35 lbs/1sqft.
This weight ensures optimum efficiency and sound insulation
that could be possibly gained from 50 mil thickness material.
KILMAT 50 mil is light weighted sound deadening material!
1 box of Kilmat 50 mil 25 sqft contains 12 pieces.
The size of 1 sheet is 20x15 inch.
8.53 pounds
Thickness 50 mil=0.05 inch=1.3 mm
Foil with Kilmat Logo

AYMARIO $11.69
Specification:
Condition: 100% Brand New
Material: Dampening Material
Color: Shown as Picture
7.59 pounds
Size: 15x20inch
Thickness: 1.3mm
Quantity: 12pcs
Total Coverage: 25sqft

Package list:
12 * Sound Deadening Mat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 08:57PM by playerpage.

Attachments:
Date: May 21, 2020 07:21PM

Got them in the mail. It's the same stuff as Kilmat. I've got all I need, hopefully they will restock and it will be a good source for someone else.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 21, 2020 08:06PM

Thanks for the update!

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 22, 2020 09:33AM

Who doesn't like a bargain, but years ago I looked at all the different soundproofing mats and ONLY ONE didn't have some kind of complaint posted online, and that was Dynamat. Dynamat has consistently gotten good reviews and is still around compared to a number of bargain companies that are now gone.

Just me, but sometimes it pays to spend extra, especially on a one time use product that can cause a lot of grief if it fails.

Date: June 25, 2020 12:35PM

I can't argue with those points you made, Vairman, but I thought I'd update this thread to let everybody know that the cheap mats are back in stock:

Car Heat Insulation/Sound Deadener Mat on Amazon

Since posting here, I have received a shipment of 75 square feet of the stuff, which as I pointed out before cost me the same as 25sqft of the Kilmat or Siless brands I bought previously. I have never used Dynamat so I can't speak to it, but the generic mats I received were EXACTLY like the other brands in every way, from packaging to thickness to adhesive.

I used them to line my wheel wells, and I already hear the difference. Unfortunately, almost every other reachable surface in the car has already been lined with the more expensive mats, so I will probably be grumbling for a while about how I wish I had found the others sooner.

Cheers!

MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Posted by: Willt65 ()
Date: June 26, 2020 09:02AM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Since posting here, I have received a shipment of 75 square feet of the stuff,

Curious, how much does 75 square feet weigh?
Thanks!

Will Teeter
Flintstone, MD
65 Corsa project
66 Monza parts car
49 Chevy 5 window project
08 Chevy 2500
13 Honda Odyssey
07 Honda 919
04 Honda Rancher
05 Honda Forman
96 Honda XR400R

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 26, 2020 09:07AM

Almost 30lbs according to the ad.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: June 26, 2020 10:22AM

Yeah it was pretty heavy. I bent down to pick up the box on my doorstep and it surprised me how heavy it was.

Since I had started the project months ago and was almost done by the time I discovered the cheaper stuff, I have of course a lot more than I will need on the car. But I'm going to hang on to the excess, because you never know where it'll come in handy! Besides, I have a lot of friends with other classic cars that can probably use it.

THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

Posted by: jetcat ()
Date: June 26, 2020 11:23AM

I used the Russian Noico mat. Not super cheap but works great! I like it because the foil is black.

Noico

Bob
Paso Robles, CA

Central Coast Corsa
1966 Turbo Corsa convertible
1966 Corsa 140 coupe but now with 110hp heads.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.