Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fc PG questions
Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: May 17, 2020 03:27PM

I have a 65 greenbrier, PG I’m working on. It flares/slips on 1st to second Shift. I checked the fluid, looked good, was over full. I sucked out enough so it’s just below the full mark. I found the small rubber hose at the balance tube to the modulator was leaking, replaced that. I adjusted the kick down as it wouldn’t down shift until I was below 30mph. Now it has a shutter starting off along with the flare going into second. Assuming my last resort is to try and adjust the band or is the trans plain ole ready for a rebuild?

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fc PG questions
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 17, 2020 03:31PM

Adjust the low band on the PG in the Van. Just take-off panel over it and perform task. Hope your heater box is not secured to it. If it is, good time to secure to body structure and not then panel. I'll post photo of heater box mounting, if you need to see it. Easy to make and install.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 17, 2020 03:40PM

I wouldn't adjust anything quite yet. Your comment about the leaking at the modulator, did you replace both the modulator and the hose? The modulator needs vacuum to properly work, so if you find oil in the hose, it means that the modulator is defective and needs to be replaced. There is no adjustment, you just screw in the replacement, and hook up the rubber hose that connects to the steel tube. The other end of the steel tube is connected to the carburetor vacuum balance tube in the center of the front of the engine. You will find that this small rubber hose also needs to be replaced, if it is old. Next, read the service manual, because some transmissions need to have the oil checked in neutral, and others while it is in park. The oil should also be at operating temperature. Make sure that it is properly filled to the "full" level. Then add 1 16 ounce can of Sea Foam Trans Tune Transmission Treatment. Don't worry about it now being over filled, just go out and enjoy yourself a long drive. It might take a while to fix your transmission, just like it took a while before you noticed a problem. I can't make guarantees, however, unless the transmission is burned up inside, the Sea Foam treatment should have all your problems solved. In a month after adding it to the transmission, it will have evaporated, and everything should be back to normal. My transmission rebuilder told me about this, and it resolved a shifting issue in one of my old cars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 17, 2020 03:44PM

Did you check the fluid with the engine running? It's normal to read "high" when the engine is off. The first line in the "shift flare on upshift" list is "low fluid level"

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: May 17, 2020 03:59PM

Yes, checked the fluid level warm/hot. Checked multiple times, once after a 15 mile drive.

I replaced the small rubber hose in the engine compartment from the modulator steel line to balance tube. It was leaking due to too large of a rubber hose, was not a tight fit. No sign of trans fluid in the modulator line.

I didn’t have the shudder starting off until I lowered the level to full, removed over a pint. And replaced the leaking hose. I did notice the Van does have an external trans cooler. Not sure if this would effect anything.

Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net

Date: May 17, 2020 04:10PM

Modulators are inexpensive, under $10 usually, so I would start with that. How did you make the adjustment to the kick down? I am not that familiar with Corvair transmission adjustments, but I am familiar with the Powerglide transmission, and unless it is abused, they go 100,000 miles before they need a rebuild. My 1955 Chevrolet didn't need a transmission until I started beating on it at 105,000 miles. It was a cast iron Powerglide, and a bear to muscle it down and back up after being rebuilt. Today, I couldn't even lift it, no less remove it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: May 17, 2020 04:28PM

The kick down is adjusted at the throttle cross shaft, adjustable rod goes from it to the kick down on the side of the trans.

Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 17, 2020 05:18PM

"Yes, checked the fluid level warm/hot."
But was it running?

Junk. $10? Where? No Corvair PG has park but even it it did there would be no difference between park and neutral for checking fluid.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: May 17, 2020 05:31PM

Yes, sorry, running, in neutral.

Clarks is almost $30 for a modulator. Oriellys has two, an adjustable one for about $24 and a basic one for $12.

Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: May 17, 2020 05:48PM

4carbcorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, sorry, running, in neutral.
>
> Clarks is almost $30 for a modulator. Oriellys has two, an adjustable one for about $24 and a basic one for $12.

Couple over here too if needed.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Date: May 17, 2020 06:02PM

joelsplace Wrote:
> "Yes, checked the fluid level warm/hot."
> But was it running?
>
> Junk. $10? Where? No Corvair PG has park but even it it did there would be no difference between park and neutral for checking fluid.

Who ever said anything about PARK... I didn't just fall off a turnip truck. I might not have owned as many Corvairs as you own, but I have owned them from when they first hit the streets. I have had both automatic Corvairs, and standard transmissions. As for the $10 modulator, forgive me, I was off by $2. I am here to help people with my experience. I don't just drive my cars, but I also fix them.

Date: May 17, 2020 06:14PM

junkman Wrote:
> Next, read the service manual, because some transmissions need to have the oil checked in neutral, and others while it is in park.

Don't need to mention position of transmission if it isn't in the Vairs.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 17, 2020 06:26PM

How about that weather?
Nice Spring we are having, eh?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 17, 2020 06:30PM

I'll bet those at O'Reilly's won't fit. Everything I've seen listed was for big car Powerglides which aren't the same.
Here's what you said Junk "Next, read the service manual, because some transmissions need to have the oil checked in neutral, and others while it is in park." <<<

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 06:31PM by joelsplace.

Date: May 17, 2020 06:33PM

Sunny and a nice warm 85 degrees down here. Didn't work on Vairs, though. Had to finish leveling 8 yards of dirt. Watched the race and glad KH won.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 17, 2020 08:58PM

I have not seen a Corvair modulator for $10 ,ever!!!

Sure, the big Powerglides, but not a Corvair modulator. Nope, not even $12. Not even in the early 80s.

And yes, Junk, you did write Park.... I type things wrong too.... DOn't worry about itsmileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 17, 2020 10:17PM

Kelsey Hayes won the race? I have bought vacuum modulators for $10 at the GWFBT. In fact a few years ago a NOS one was given to me (thanks again DaveM.) in Palm Springs.

Date: May 18, 2020 02:46AM

Ronnie has been on this site since 2005. I wonder how many times he read to check the PG transmission when fluid is hot, while engine running and in neutral. Probably at least 100 times.

Seeing it was his post, I didn't feel the need to tell him to do something so basic when he said in original post he pulled some fluid out to make it read full.

JMO but if he is confident that fluid level is right and modulator is not leaking fluid into modulator line and its hoses are tight, then low band adjustment is next before removing PG transmission rebuild.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: May 18, 2020 03:56AM

Weather is finally starting to improve here. grinning smiley

I’m working on the FC for someone else.

Anyone happen to know the length of the FC power glide dipstick from the tip to the cap that sits on the fill tube? Same as a car dipstick?

Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net

Date: May 18, 2020 04:32AM

I can get you the measurement in a little bit.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.