Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1964 Monza Front Drum Warped
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 18, 2020 05:11AM

What is the actual physical difference between 63 and 64 front drums? I'm sorry to say I don't know.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Six Gun Joe ()
Date: May 18, 2020 07:45AM

Thanks, I'm gonna look into it today if I have some time. It's a project car that wasn't drivable when I got it. I've been picking away at it little by little and once I get the brakes right I'll finally be able to get it inspected.
Regarding the pulsing you mentioned, I have not noticed it but I have only driven it a very short distance and the wheel wants to lock up under light braking. In my gravel driveway it's basically guaranteed to lock up when I touch the brakes.
I'll be sure to report back when I make some progress.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: May 18, 2020 08:01AM

Jim, the 1964 drums are like the late drums except 9" in diameter. There is a groove to capture the edge of the backing plate and a shield on the backing plate to keep water from splashing into the drum. The earlier design has the backing plate extending under the drum but does not prevent water from entering. The 64 is a better design but hard to get parts for. The 64 drum is also a little heavier probably due to extra material casting to make the groove edge and to dissipate heat.

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: May 18, 2020 11:54AM

Does that mean that the 63 drums won't work on 64, or just that they have a couple of engineering designs that make the 64 drums better? Would the 63 drums interfere with the backing plates on a 64? Just curious...

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 18, 2020 08:12PM

I recall an interference fit, but changing the backing plate fixed it. But it was years ago....eye popping smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: May 18, 2020 09:28PM

Chad, the designs are not interchangeable. That's why Joe can't use anything but 64 front drums. The 64 drums will not fit on the 60-63 without changing the backing plates to the later design. As Frank noted, installation of backing plates permits use on any early.

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 19, 2020 06:42AM

I checked, and the drums that I have are only for 1964 500,700, & 900 models. Sorry .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 19, 2020 09:45AM

Sorry? Original Poster has a 1964!

BTW, it also fits 1964 model 600.....winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 19, 2020 10:15AM

Can't see the drums that fit the 600, since I have both a 600 coupe and convertible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: May 19, 2020 02:17PM

My inspection guy found a place that turns drums, should be done by Thursday. I also ordered new shoes they should be in by Thursday as well.
Praying I have no more brake issues after this.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 19, 2020 10:26PM

Years ago, I was told by a Mechanic, that the way Brake Shops were able to sell full brake jobs, with Brake Shoes and Pads, that had "Life-Time" guarantees, was that before they installed them, they would always turn your drums or rotors (YES, even NEW ones), right down to the minimum specs! hot smiley
That way when you came back for your "FREE" pads or shoes, they had to sell you the more costly drums and rotors. angry smiley

TANSTAAFL ! ! !

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Date: May 26, 2020 02:48PM

After having the drum turned and replacing the shoes the brakes are now working properly. Thanks everybody for your help!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 26, 2020 02:56PM

Great! How far out was the drum?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 27, 2020 06:19AM

While we're at it, is there any reason a 64 rear finned drum won't work on 64 front? Just trying to get things straight in my mind.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 27, 2020 06:30AM

From Clark's Page 142

Note: 60-64 Car Brake Drums – 1964 must have 64 front drums. 60-64 rear drums are interchangeable, but '64 were originally ?nned.

So it looks like rears must stay on the rear. Gurus can explain why. Probably the backing plate design change on the front.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: May 27, 2020 07:05AM

Not sure how far it was out, he didn't measure it apparently.

Yes, the rear drums do not have the groove depth for the backing plate.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 27, 2020 09:10AM

On '60-'63 drums the front and the back are different widths. I think that the rears are wider by about a 1/4"? I would guess that the '64 might have different widths also.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.