Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Convertible Top Cover, Remove It?
Posted by: CorvairJimbo ()
Date: May 15, 2020 10:30AM

Hey everyone,

I have a 1964 Spyder convertible, and the leather cover used to cover the top when down often comes unlatched when driving and the buttons are all very loose, along with warped leather that doesn't allow me to button it down near the rear windows. I was thinking of just removing it completely until I can afford to refurbish or replace it.

Do any of you drive with this cover completely removed? I realize it might look funny, but the thing is more of a pain than anything.

How do you stow it when the top is up? People riding in the back have to deal with it when the top is up.

Also, any pointers on how to re-install it? I heard it was an awful process and any pointers on installing a new one would be great.

1964 Corvair Spyder Convertible 150hp turbo.

Re: Convertible Top Cover, Remove It?
Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: May 15, 2020 10:53AM

I drive mine all the time with the "parade cover" off, no issues at all. Installing or removing the cover is easy, just slide the cover out of the steel holder, I pull mine to the drivers side, it might only come out that way. When the top is up I usually tuck mine behind the seat, but sometimes the sides can be a pain for the folks in the back. It is more of a pain than anything...

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 15, 2020 11:12AM

I've never seen a leather one. I'll bet that is really expensive.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: BILLG ()
Date: May 15, 2020 04:30PM

I have a 64 Monza convert. Top down cover is on. Top up cover is tucked into the top well and sides folded over the main cover. Cover slides out easily to drivers side. If not, put a little candle wax on the rubber that goes inside the permanent holder.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 15, 2020 07:44PM

The PROPER name for what you are talking about is a "Top Boot".
A "Parade Cover" would be made out of fiberglass, or some other solid material (and sometimes padded), so that passengers could sit up on it without damaging the convertible Top.
> Clark's replcement Top Boots <
And yes, as many have already stated, there is ZERO problem with driving around without it on.
From the sounds of it, yours is ready for replacement.
I can not truly speak to EM boots, but on my LM, whan I want to put the Top back up,
I usually fold the sides in to the middle, and flip it forward over the back-seat.
Raise my Top.
And the flip the Boot over the back of the seat, into the well.
When I want to drop the top again, I reverse the process.
Flip it back over to the front of the seat.
Lower the Top.
Flip the Boot back over the seat, and unfold the sides.
Easy Peasy.
But, mine is an old one, on a driver quality car.
IF I had a Nice New Top BOOT, I would be sure to remove it from its groove after each use and give it a proper storage.
By the way, unless someone had a truly custom Boot made, Joel is quite correct.
They are not Leather, but rather a heavy grade of Vinyl.
Hope this has been helpful.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: blue hen ()
Date: May 16, 2020 05:59AM

I have an old one that came with the car. It has its own plastic gm bag/sleeve thing.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 16, 2020 06:11AM

Me too

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 16, 2020 10:13AM

One trick that you can try is to leave the top boot out in the sun, and then try to install it while the vinyl is warm. Many times they will shrink when left on the car over the winter. They should be stored in a cool dry place when not in use for long periods of time. Also, when putting the top down, you should pull the top material out from between the bows as you are lowering it. Then fold the top material ends toward the center, and the excess top material folds over the top bow. This will allow the top frame to go deeper into the top well, and the top boot to fit properly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: CorvairJimbo ()
Date: May 20, 2020 01:45PM

Thanks all! I think I'm just going to remove the current one and get a new one eventually.

1964 Corvair Spyder Convertible 150hp turbo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.