Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
65 Monza Centercaps
Posted by: Supergirl76 ()
Date: May 14, 2020 07:10PM

Hello all! I thought I could be artistic and repaint my Centercaps... I removed the old-worn paint with thinner. Now I am trying to repaint them with Testors model paint. I’ve tried with silver and chrome. The issue is that the paint is nice and shiny from the inside where painting, and dull and terrible on the side that shows. Any help would be appreciated! Can’t attach pics cause the file is too large.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 65 Monza Centercaps
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: May 14, 2020 07:21PM

WELCOME!!!

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: May 14, 2020 07:33PM

Does the outside of the center cap need to be polished? They can get scuffed up over the years and can become cloudy.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: May 15, 2020 12:22AM

What's a center cap? Also, if you open any picture in the basic Windows Paint program, resize it to 800 pixels wide, and re-save it (use a new name to keep the old file untouched), the resulting file will be under 500 kilobytes.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 15, 2020 11:51AM

The full wheel covers have a removable center trim about 3" in diameter.
I wonder if the stuff made for polishing up modern headlight plastic covers would work on that plastic "window".

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: May 15, 2020 08:16PM

I bet the thinner changed the plastic and would need to be polished before painting.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 17, 2020 02:59PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The full wheel covers have a removable center trim about 3" in diameter.
> I wonder if the stuff made for polishing up modern headlight plastic covers would work on that plastic "window".

"The Stuff" used to polish headlights is just mild polishing/rubbing compound.
Conveniently packaged in a SMALLER amount, and sold for four times as much!
I have seen modern plastic headlights polished and brought back to life by using any of the following products. . .
Comet,
Bon Ami,
Fiberglass boat polish,
Tooth Paste,
Meguiar's,
etc.
How well each of these works is all dependent upon the severity of the UV damage the plastic has encountered.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 17, 2020 03:14PM

The inside of the plastic when it was originally molded with done on a mold that was highly polished, so the plastic also had a highly polished surface when the part came out of the mold. They then used a silver paint that would appear like chrome from the outside. This same procedure was used on the front emblem of the 1964 Corvair also. It can't be duplicated once the original paint has chipped or worn away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.