Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Vent Window Handle/Pin
Posted by: vairboy ()
Date: April 03, 2020 12:58PM

Ok....I have my vent window out and I am not putting it back together. Having a fun time getting the vent handle pin back in to secure the handle on. This seems like it should be realllllllly simple. But I'm having a tough time getting the pin back in. Any hints? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks...PS... this is for late model coupe 1966

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vent Window Handle/Pin
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: April 03, 2020 02:17PM

Once again, from my old memory banks. The pin is what is commonly known as a roll pin, that is made of spring steel. The ends have a rounded edge on them, and you set the edge of the pin onto the hole, and gently tap with a hammer to drive the pin into the hole. As the pin goes into the hole, it compresses closing the gap that runs from one end of the pin to the other. For larger roll pins, there is a specific driver for them. Something as small as the vent handle, you only need a very light hammer tap, such as using a tack hammer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: April 03, 2020 02:38PM

They do make very small roll pin punches, some pretty small roll pins are used in industry, and guns. Having the parts in some kind of fixture will help for sure, but you've probably noticed that.

Date: April 04, 2020 06:16AM

Actually, that is exactly what I did. I set the roll pin in the edge of the hole in the handle and then used a tack hammer. I get about half way in and it jams. Tried different angles etc. I'll give it a try again today. Sometimes you just need to step away and come back later. Just thinking this is taking me longer to do than it took to take the whole vent frame out of the door.....lol

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 04, 2020 06:33AM

Handle needs to be pressed in so pin goes in groove. A little spring load, if I remember right.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: April 04, 2020 07:07AM

I'm thinking there is a wavy washer in there as well. Its been a while since I did it.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: April 04, 2020 09:57AM

Vairboy, working from outside the car. Put a little grease in the groove, get the pin just started in the handle then squeeze the handle into place to compress the wave washer. Squeeze the pin through with channel lock pliers

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2020 09:58AM by Brizo.

Date: April 05, 2020 05:11PM

I'll give that a try Dan. I do have the wavy washer on there. I will report back. Thanks again everyone for the comments.

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: April 05, 2020 05:30PM

I just put a vent window handle on my 64 conv...I think I started it in the window closed position...from the outside of the car...I put a small piece of wood on the the inside of the new handle and used my channel lock pliers as a press...went right in....if you hammer it, you will spread the pin...something has to give by hammering. You may need to close up the pin a little now.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: April 05, 2020 08:19PM

I use needle nose vice grips to squeeze it into place. It can easily get off center where it does not want to go into the far side of the handle. New repro handles I usually have to slightly grind the entry hole as there is usually some flash in it making it very hard to start the pin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: April 05, 2020 09:00PM

Pictures?

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.