Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT - Formula 1 Documentary on Netflix
Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: March 31, 2020 02:57PM

Never been one to get much into NASCAR, Cart, or Formula 1. I ran across a 2 season documentary on the 2018/19 Formula 1 seasons and now I'm addicted. Wow, the money, team rivalries and dynamics. The show is very well done. Mostly focuses on the mid field teams with lower funds. Give it a look if you're locked in at home. I had a chance to go to the Montreal F1 race about 10 years ago but it wasn't a good time. Now regretting it. Show is called "Formula 1 Drive to Survive".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Formula 1 Documentary on Netflix
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 31, 2020 03:00PM

Glad you found it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 31, 2020 03:13PM

If you want something to binge, you'll love this:

Hyperdrive on Netflix

Eric C. Player, Fargo, ND, USA
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club. Those may change. winking smiley
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: March 31, 2020 05:51PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you want something to binge, you'll love this:
>
> Hyperdrive on Netflix

Will check it out!

Posted by: racingguy2 ()
Date: March 31, 2020 06:12PM

I've fallen asleep in the garage during more than one NASCAR race, when working garage crew. Monday morning question when I wasn't at the track was "did we win?". When I started, they didn't have a clue what a budget was.

F1 is a whole different world. I worked for Machinist Union Racing Team, and they were excited when they qualified. As a low budget team, they spent more fielding one car than RCR does with five. An F1 exhaust system costs about what an entire NASCAR vehicle did at the time.

I ALMOST went back to F1 a couple years ago, but my friend on the team explained that he was only home 3 days in the entire year. Not me. I love what I do, but I work to live, not live to work. The lifestyle is pretty insane though.

Eric
Plymouth, Michigan
74 Kelmark GT (Mid engine Corvair 140)
02 Maserati CambioCorsa Spyder
06 Porsche Cayenne
89 Jaguar XJS 12
86 Alfa Romeo Graduate (7200 miles!)
1902 Curved dash Olds
70 Fiberfab Avenger
57 Ford Custom 300 (factory 312Y)
80 Mercedes-Benz 450SL
05 Audi TT
Cylinder head and valvetrain engineer, PhD Nuclear Engineer
Originator of strange ideas and over-complicated solutions!

Attachments:

Date: March 31, 2020 06:53PM

racingguy2 Wrote:
> I've fallen asleep in the garage during more than one NASCAR race, when working garage crew. Monday morning question when I wasn't at the track was "did we win?". When I started, they didn't have a clue what a budget was.
>
> F1 is a whole different world. I worked for Machinist Union Racing Team, and they were excited when they qualified. As a low budget team, they spent more fielding one car than RCR does with five. An F1 exhaust system costs about what an entire NASCAR vehicle did at the time.
>
> I ALMOST went back to F1 a couple years ago, but my friend on the team explained that he was only home 3 days in the entire year. Not me. I love what I do, but I work to live, not live to work. The lifestyle is pretty insane though.

It definitely seems like a life commitment from what I see. "Christmas is an inconvenience" was a quote that stuck with me when Haas Team spoke about "off-season". Year 'round intensity.

Date: March 31, 2020 07:46PM

Once you're in the racing for a living world, its rare to leave. And everyone knows everyone else.
"off-season" is always the busiest in the shop. Christmas for the NASCAR folks is a bit different, being in the bible belt of the south. They always threw a huge Christmas party, convention center, black tie, big name country entertainers, etc.. What I love is that they treat each other like family should.

I'll have to watch it, but did Haas mention how the F1 team is bleeding them dry financially? It's actually caused production problems because they can't afford components to make CNC machines after paying the F1 commitments.

Eric
Plymouth, Michigan
06 Porsche Cayenne
89 Jaguar XJS 12
1902 Curved dash Olds
70 Fiberfab Avenger
80 Mercedes-Benz 450SL
05 Audi TT

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: April 01, 2020 01:13AM

It's been a really good series and quite an insight into the sport.

Many years ago when doing work experience at school I worked at McLaren for a week spending a day in a different department. Machining, fabrication, composites, gearbox and R&D. It was an amazing week getting to see how the cars were made and the effort that goes into the components. I got to make a few bits too such as carbon brake ducts and I fabricated a foot rest.

Despite being an F1 fan for many years it was only 2017 when I went to my first grand prix. I went to Abu Dhabi, in fact I went for 3 years in a row. Not going this year though.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30

Date: April 01, 2020 12:03PM

racingguy2 Wrote:

> I'll have to watch it, but did Haas mention how the F1 team is bleeding them dry financially? It's actually caused production problems because they can't afford components to make CNC machines after paying the F1 commitments.

YES! Haas is actually a big part of the show. Their team principal, I think his name is Steiner is a real character, really drops the f bombs. But yeah, I guess they had a really good year in 2018 finishing in the midfield. Then in 2019, new car, and they were horrible, finished 9/10 only ahead of Williams. There's video of Steiner talking to mr. Haas himself....he's not happy. Anyway, great show, trying not to binge it too much because I'm going to miss it when its over. Even the wife is interested. I think thats because all 20 drivers could be on the cover of GQ magazine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 12:07PM by goatsnvairs.

Date: April 01, 2020 12:05PM

dolomitefan Wrote:
> It's been a really good series and quite an insight into the sport.
>
> Many years ago when doing work experience at school I worked at McLaren for a week spending a day in a different department. Machining, fabrication, composites, gearbox and R&D. It was an amazing week getting to see how the cars were made and the effort that goes into the components. I got to make a few bits too such as carbon brake ducts and I fabricated a foot rest.
>
> Despite being an F1 fan for many years it was only 2017 when I went to my first grand prix. I went to Abu Dhabi, in fact I went for 3 years in a row. Not going this year though.

Wow, that would have been interesting, especially knowing what I know now. Once the virus is over I'm going to try to attend a U.S. one, probably 2021.

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: April 01, 2020 12:16PM

COTA is a great track. I went to the IndyCar there last year. Technically it's a great circuit and visibility is excellent.

What does impress watching F1 live is the cornering speed and the braking. You don't quite get that impression watching on tv. The Indy was impressive, especially the racing but they have nothing on the F1 machines.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30

Date: April 01, 2020 01:38PM

Yes, cornering and braking is incomparable (as long as all the suspension stays attached). The usual goal is to keep the center of gravity below the centerline of the wheels.
COTA looks awesome, but I haven't been there. My F1 time was in the early 90's. The only U.S. tracks I drove were Laguna Seca, and MIS.

Eric
Plymouth, Michigan
06 Porsche Cayenne
89 Jaguar XJS 12
1902 Curved dash Olds
70 Fiberfab Avenger
80 Mercedes-Benz 450SL
05 Audi TT

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: April 01, 2020 03:16PM

Eric - Old Laguna Seca or New Laguna Seca? Fun course either way!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Date: April 01, 2020 03:38PM

Laguna Seca circa 1991

Eric
Plymouth, Michigan
06 Porsche Cayenne
89 Jaguar XJS 12
1902 Curved dash Olds
70 Fiberfab Avenger
80 Mercedes-Benz 450SL
05 Audi TT

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: April 01, 2020 11:36PM

The old Laguna Seca was a real gut check. In our cars - Yenko Stingers - we were full on the gas and up through the gears - all the way from the old turn 9, basically before start-finish to the auto bridge. (No Andretti hairpin then). Maybe a slight lift at one of the kinks. The Can-Am guys had to major lift there, maybe even brake. That is what 600 HP would buy you! I will tell a Laguna Story. In the heyday of the Can-Am one of the car owners imported a British driver to drive his imported McLaren. Never having driven at Laguna Seca, the guy was a lot faster than all but the 3-4 factory cars. All of the other drivers asked the guy his secret. He told them that, after the bridge, and going up the hill, he just kept on the power and drifted out to the row of bushes along there. (This was pre-guard-rail). The other drivers told him, "What bushes? Those are the tops of oak trees. If you go off there, you end up in Salinas!" During the rest of the weekend, he never got within 2 seconds of his earlier time. (Please note - whether or not this is a true story, it is a great story!)

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.