Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wix Oil Filter
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 17, 2020 04:29PM

NO it is not a gasoline filter.. It is a diesel fuel filter. Diesel fuel filters usually have a drain, since there is usually water in the fuel. The water is a result of heat and cold causing condensation to accumulate inside of the tank. In gasoline, we used to put alcohol into the gasoline so the water could be absorbed in the alcohol and burned through the carburetor. Today, we no longer need to add alcohol, since it come with the gasoline that we purchase.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 17, 2020 05:01PM

My memory is that "Dry Gas" is isopropyl alcohol, and your fuel is blended with ethanol alcohol. How they're different is for a chemist.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 17, 2020 06:39PM

Just to confuse the issue WM, some dry gas, but not all, is methanol, I buy it up cheap at the end of winter around here for my water meth injection.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: May 18, 2020 12:07PM

Paul,
I never knew Tom Malone, but while the Corvair Museum was located in Decatur, Illinois, there was an oil filter collection with over 85 variations displayed. There was a placard above the collection, but I didn't notice the name. Do you remember if this is how Tom displayed his filters, or maybe someone will chime in with a credit?

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:
Date: May 18, 2020 04:33PM

Are you certain that was taken at the museum, and that it isn't a picture of the display that I had at the Atlanta Convention? I built the boxes at my father-in-law's shop in Florida, and hastily put together the display. My only guess is that if that was truly at the museum, that someone had copied my display box design. I recently completed 4 additional boxes because my collection has grown over the past 2 1/2 decades

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Attachments:

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: May 19, 2020 11:17AM

Hi Paul,
If you're talking about Atlanta 1980, I had duty at Eglin AFB Friday evening, so drove up to Marietta Saturday to pick up my copy of Tony Fiore's THE CORVAIR DECADE. Not sure I owned a camera then, on Air Force pay. Haven't been to another convention until five years ago, so no to 1992 Atlanta. Maybe Mike Hall will pitch in with information on the oil filter collection at the museum?

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Date: May 19, 2020 11:51AM

It wouldn't have been Atlanta 1980, but I believe that the Atlanta convention was in 1991 or 1992.

Date: May 19, 2020 12:02PM

It wouldn't have been Atlanta 1980, but I believe that the Atlanta convention was in 1991 or 1992. If you took the picture above, then it most likely was either Tom's or possibly a collection put together by Smitty. I was told that he started a collection after seeing my collection in Atlanta. I just find it strange that the boxes are so much like the ones that I designed and built, not that it would be that difficult to make if you took pictures of mine along with measurements. Whomever did it, did a good job.

Posted by: jgalfo ()
Date: May 21, 2020 12:49PM

the Wix oil filter is available from o'reilly's auto parts they have them in stock, purchased one earlier this year

Date: May 21, 2020 02:06PM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LOL, I still have my small collection of filter in a small display case.
>
> The Corvair oil filter collectors club was short lived but interesting.

Care to share with some pictures of the filters in your collection?

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: May 21, 2020 07:31PM

Not sure if I missed it but when was the last GM/AC Corvair filter made?

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: May 22, 2020 07:36AM

junkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you certain that was taken at the museum, and that it isn't a picture of the display that I had at the Atlanta Convention? I built the boxes at my father-in-law's shop in Florida, and hastily put together the display. My only guess is that if that was truly at the museum, that someone had copied my display box design. I recently completed 4 additional boxes because my collection has grown over the past 2 1/2 decades

The picture of the. Filters displayed on the blue epoxy floor is 100% the Decatur Corvair Museum, when it was there.

Eric P
DeWitt, IA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.