Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wix Oil Filter
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 28, 2020 06:36PM

An engineering drawing of the Corvair oil filter. No other engine other than the Corvair shared the Corvair oil filter. In the world of oil filters, this is unheard of! There was a generator that used the same top pattern as the Corvair oil filter for the generators fuel filter. The filter on the outside is exactly like the Corvair oil filter, however at the bottom of the filter there is a drain plug. I have a couple in my oil filter collection. I have been collecting Corvair oil filters since 1982 and have about 200 different filters in my collection. I fist showed the collection at the Corvair Atlanta meet in 1994(?). At that time, I had about 90 on display in 4 cases. After that, a few other Corvair hobbyist started collecting them also.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wix Oil Filter
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: March 28, 2020 06:44PM

Nice. I've never seen a blueprint for any oil filter, let alone Corvair. Seems like the perfect thing for an oil filter collector. As I understand it, Wix was the OEM that made Corvair filters for GM.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 29, 2020 05:42AM

LOL, I still have my small collection of filter in a small display case.

The Corvair oil filter collectors club was short lived but interesting.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: jb_supermoto ()
Date: March 29, 2020 11:07AM

I can't seem to attach a picture but is a Kralinator L21 an oddball?

JB
1963 900 Monza Coupe 102/4sp
1960 700 Sedan 80/PG

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: March 29, 2020 12:51PM

Attachments:
Date: March 29, 2020 01:25PM

This is a first generation Kralinator. You can tell the difference between the 1st generation filter of any brand, because it is larger in diameter than the 2nd generation filters. The reason for this is because GM caught the aftermarket filter manufacturers by surprise with a smaller diameter filter as seen by the AC filter posted below. The manufacturers didn't have the smaller can in their inventory to use, so they did the next best thing that they could. They used the larger can and adapted the newly designed top to fit, since the only thing that was different was the lower portion of the canister.
I have many duplicates that I would be willing to trade if you also have duplicates. I was also thinking that we could create a tradition of posting different oil filter brands and brand variation to this thread. Please PM me if you want to trade, or even if you want to sell one outright. I am always adding to the collection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

AC oil filters through the years
Date: March 29, 2020 01:39PM

Factory installed and used by dealership

Factory installed and used by dealership

Factory installed. Dealership use unknown. Picture from the Lambrecht auction white coupe Corvair.

First generation filter for over the counter sales and dealer use that wasn't black (assumed)(issued in 1962) Dark Blue

Second generation filter for over the counter sales and dealer use. Lighter Blue

Date: March 29, 2020 02:04PM

The second generation of the lighter blue filters remained the same for 1964.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 29, 2020 04:16PM

I don't understand--is there something different about the WIX 51038 of yesteryear, vs. the WIX 51038 of today?

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: March 29, 2020 04:45PM

Kralinator, of Preston Ontario. I used to live on a farm in Preston, mind you that was over 45 years ago. My grandparents had an upholstery shop in Preston - Brothers Upholstery.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible
2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Ltd.
2020 Corvette HTC 3LT,Z51,FE4 (on order)

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 29, 2020 04:57PM

Though I have owned Corvairs since 1977 and fist joined Corsa in 1981-82 and have attended 16 conventions
and many many regional events I have never heard of the "Corvair oil filter collectors" club. Was this a SIG
sanctioned by Corsa? Were there annual meetings at the conventions? Officers? I am not surprised there were
many filter types by GM as well as many aftermarkets produced with 1.8 million vehicles made.

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: March 29, 2020 05:33PM

When was the last production by GM/AC?

Date: March 29, 2020 05:57PM

Picture from JB_supermoto

Date: March 29, 2020 06:01PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand--is there something different about the WIX 51038 of yesteryear, vs. the WIX 51038 of today?

Not certain that I understand your question, so I will attempt to answer best that I can.
Todays filters are manufactured with modern filtering media, that may or may not be different than the medial that was used the filters in 1990 (approximate date of the drawing), and the logo might have also changed. Through the years, Wix has used many different logos and colors for their filters.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 29, 2020 06:08PM

Thank you. That pretty much answers my question. Currently, I order Wix filters online, and they are white with black lettering. They don't appear to be any different than your schematic, so I was wondering what the significance of it was. Of course it is significant to have an original schematic from the 1990s!

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: March 29, 2020 08:00PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Though I have owned Corvairs since 1977 and fist joined Corsa in 1981-82 and have attended 16 conventions and many many regional events I have never heard of the "Corvair oil filter collectors" club. Was this a SIG sanctioned by Corsa? Were there annual meetings at the conventions? Officers? I am not surprised there were many filter types by GM as well as many aftermarkets produced with 1.8 million vehicles made.

I believe that we were a Corsa Special Interest Group, and it was formed by Tom Malone and myself around 2002. We created a Yahoo group which grew to 6 members. We communicate with each other and posted pictures of our filters, and for a brief while, we had a printed newsletter produced by Tom. Once we ran out of filters to discuss the club ended. I haven't heard from Tom in years, nor do I know what became of his collection. I also remember him being a CorVanitics member back then.

Date: May 17, 2020 03:23PM

Just wanted to bring this back, since there is an interest in Corvair oil filters. Not sure if it is common knowledge or not, however, the Corvair is the only car that GM produced that had its own proprietary oil filter that was not used by any other car. Having said that, many years ago, I came across this filter, that has all the physical qualities of the Corvair oil filter, and it also has a drain plug at the bottom. Its origins were a mystery for a while, until I found out ......to be continued... Junk

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 03:26PM by junkman.

Attachments:

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 17, 2020 03:49PM

I was hoping you would post a picture of the "Corvair-like" gas filter. I wonder if the guts are the same as a Corvair oil filter?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: May 17, 2020 04:12PM

I am inclined to say that it is, because it filters diesel fuel, not gasoline. The bolt at the bottom is a drain for water, which will settle out at the bottom of the filter. All that a filter is, is a particle trap, and I don't believe that the filter knows the difference what type of oil it is filtering. I would cut it apart, but I don't want to waste a rare filter.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 17, 2020 04:12PM

gasoline filter with drain?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 04:29PM by MattNall.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.