Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
LM Rear Quarter Window Adjustment
Posted by: SkidRo ()
Date: March 25, 2020 07:31AM

Hi all,

I am trying to adjust the rear quarter windows on my 1966 Corsa. So far I have managed to make it a lot worst than it was (the passenger side).

The issue is, with the new weatherstripping installed, the rear of the quarter window was hitting the weatherstripping well before the window was close to being closed. Additionally, it is leaning too far in at the top. It also appeared to have to move forward a little bit. Basically, it was adjusted to fit the old dried out weatherstripping.

I have the Chassis shop manual but it doesn't have windows, regulators, tracks, etc. in it. Does anyone have a diagram of how it works and the adjustments?

Thanks in advance,
Rory

Rory
66 Corsa
63 Rampside
Silver Spring, MD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM Rear Quarter Window Adjustment
Posted by: corvairgreg ()
Date: March 25, 2020 07:39AM

You need the body service manual for those procedures. Send me a pm with your email and I'll send you a scan of the pages.

Greg

Greg Hanlin
Dayton OH

1964 Monza Convertible
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Corsa Convertible
1963 Greenbrier

Dayton Corvair Club
CORSA

Date: March 27, 2020 12:15PM

Thanks go out to the group members who have PM'd me with information. So far I have managed to get the window to fit pretty well.

One issue that I am having though is that when I roll the window down (and up) is that the chrome/rubber trim on the leading edge of the the quarter window catches on the front roller guide. It makes rolling the window down tough/stiff. When rolling up the chrome trim gets stuck in the same roller guide. There are two upper adjusting screws and two lower adjusting screws. I have surmised that the upper adjusting screws moves the lower edge of the window in and out. I have it centered in the window opening. The lower ones appear to move the top of the window in and out. As of now, the window appears to be centered.

I just cannot figure out why the chrome trim is dragging on the guide. Once I figure that out it will not get caught in the guide on the way up. I should note that the window did this prior to me "adjusting" it" but to a lesser degree.

Does anyone have any tweaking advice on how get get these guides adjusted so it goes up and down smoothly.

One last item - the chrome trim on the window is rusted through at that lower portion. Can this be replaced?

Thanks,
Rory

Rory
66 Corsa
63 Rampside
Silver Spring, MD

Date: April 06, 2020 06:29AM

I wanted to follow up on this topic. With the help of the Fisher Body manual and a lot of patience and adjustments I was able to get the quarter window to operate perfectly. So much so that I also adjusted the drivers side quarter window.

The moral of the story for me is to have the manual, read it several times to understand what each screw, nut and track does and then take you time making little adjustments.

Rory
66 Corsa
63 Rampside
Silver Spring, MD

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: April 06, 2020 06:58AM

Good work!! The 1/4 windows are a pain in the rear to adjust. So many adjusters and so little timesmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.