Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT: PTO powered Wood Chipper Info?
Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: March 24, 2020 06:52PM

I'd like to see if anyone here uses a tractor PTO driven wood chipper with hydraulic feed. I'm planning to buy one and see numerous brands available. My tractor is an L3800 Kubota, 38 hp diesel with about 30 hp at the PTO. The chippers look to be anywhere from about $2700 to $3200 for my size tractor. Brands include Woodland Mills, Woodmaxx, DR and a couple others. Does anyone have experience with a chipper like this and can give a recommendation for which brand & model?

Thanks,
Wade

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2020 07:16PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: PTO powered Wood Chipper Info?
Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: March 25, 2020 06:42AM

grinning smiley Don't do it Wade. You have so much to live for. Putting yourself into a chipper will not help anything. You can still work on your Corvair even if your quarantined. smoking smiley grinning smiley

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 25, 2020 06:48AM

Has anyone seen Tucker and Dale vs Evil? The chipper they use works great.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: 63spyder ()
Date: March 25, 2020 06:49AM

I use the Chinese wood chipper with mechanical power feed. Love it. It will chip right up to what I cut for firewood. No more piling brush to burn during the winter. And my wife uses the chips in her
gardening

Wayne in Glide Oregon
63 spyder conv.(wifes car finished ,owned 17 years)65 monza conv.unfinished 14 years and never driven,yet!!!.61 rampside (new toy and distraction)

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: March 25, 2020 12:15PM

Wayne, one reason I want one of these I the same as you mentioned; not having to have brush piles to burn, nor hauling it off out of the way. I have 148 acres of forest land in the Virginia mountains. Although that sounds like plenty of room to burn, I don't have much that is in the open where I can burn. The open areas are either near my house or under power lines. I can also make good use of the chip.

I want one that has hydraulically driven feed rollers with a safety bar feed cutoff. I understand the ones without feed rollers can be dangerous because of how they yank the wood in. If someone gets caught in the debris, there is not much time prevent getting hurt whereas the ones with feed rollers control the feeding speed have the safety cutoff.

I'm considering something like the one at this link.

[woodlandmills.com]

There are bigger ones, but I have to consider how much weight I can safely transport on my tractor's 3-point hitch in some hilly areas and through some streams.

Wade

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 25, 2020 12:34PM

Thought about one a few years back. We only have 12 acres, but I keep a couple mile of trails open for walking and playing with the dirt toys. We decided to just make brush piles, pretty easy for us, just load the trailer and tow it with the the UTV. It makes good critter cover and keeps the dog amused. Its amazing how some of our largest piles are down to almost nothing over the years. Anyway it works for us and its one less piece of equipment to maintain.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 25, 2020 07:26PM

I have a Kubota also, and looked into buying a tractor mounted chipper, and started to explore other types. I bought a Vermeer BC600 used chipper directly from Vermeer, the manufacturer. It was a trade in from a rental company, and was well maintained. I can tow it with either my car or my tractor, and leave it wherever I want to use it, and go back the next day and continue to chip. It has a Koehler 23 HP gas motor, hydraulic feed, and excellent safety features that stop the chipper and rollers instantly whenever you touch the safety bars around the opening. Very easy to reset, and the engine doesn't shut down when it goes into safety, so it is all very convenient. I wouldn't buy a tractor mounted chipper, because of the very reasons that you outlined, about going through streams etc. Look into a Vermeer, they are the Rolls Royce of the chippers and stump grinders in my opinion. A stump grinder is going to be my next purchase.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2020 07:33PM by junkman.

Posted by: 63spyder ()
Date: March 27, 2020 10:35AM

I agree the hydraulic feed is much nicer, it's nice to be able to back up the feed to clear a jam. I have a 27 hp 4wheel drive and it gets me down into areas I wouldn't be able to get to with a trailer style. I also found I can pack my chipper clear full if I try to chip rotten logs. Then I have to take all covers off and dig the sawdust out to free it up. Lol

Wayne in Glide Oregon
63 spyder conv.(wifes car finished ,owned 17 years)65 monza conv.unfinished 14 years and never driven,yet!!!.61 rampside (new toy and distraction)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.