Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corvair Underground Idler Pulley
Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: March 23, 2020 11:46AM

Hello all,

Last year, I bought what I believe to be the last or one of the last Idler Pulleys from Lon at Corvair Underground, but it didn't come with any instructions or diagrams. I'm sure I can figure it out, but there are several small pieces that I'd rather not tinker with if I don't have to. Does anyone have such a thing if they exist?

Thank you,

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair Underground Idler Pulley
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 23, 2020 01:04PM

Should be the Robson idler, post some pics...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 23, 2020 01:39PM

Pardon my not posting a picture. I have struggled with that since I joined the forum.

Thanks again,

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 23, 2020 01:55PM

You just need to press the pulley on. And remember the Stud and bolt attaching it to the adapter have to allow movement.

I'd use 2 studs and self locking nuts.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 23, 2020 02:56PM

Thank you!

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 24, 2020 05:20AM

When I install those I use a thin SS washer against the filter adapter and nother on the outside to capture the bushing. The bushing will work it's self into the aluminum and then become sloppy and loose. The same goes for the spring end.

I do install a removed stud from another oil filter adapter and then use a prevailing torque lock nut, not the nylon insert, with part of the locking removed with a tap, you only need a little self locking. Or you can run the nuts on a bolt or two first and when you install on the stud lube the threads.

As far as putting the pulley on I heat the pulley and slide it on the bearing, actually slide the bearing into the pulley. I have made a stop tool so the bearing stops at the correct spot. Then you can heat up the aluminum of the holder and then just slide the bearing shaft so it is flush.

Also your picture is assembled backwards!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: March 24, 2020 10:56AM

Thanks Ken! That was just for purposes of providing the picture and I'd like to say that I'd figure that out when installing, but weirder things have happened. That's why I ask questions! Between this project and learning how to keep bees, I'm super busy these days!

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.