Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Clarks Corvair shut down due to Covid 19
Posted by: Barrist ()
Date: March 24, 2020 04:20AM

I got my order in early. Now just have to wait until I'm not an essential employee, so I'll have time to rebuild the front end.

Everyone Stay Healthy.............smileys with beer

Have a Great Day,

Bill

[www.corvairforum.com]

The Others...........[www.thesamba.com]

[www.corvetteforum.com]\\

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2020 04:29AM by Barrist.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: March 24, 2020 06:07AM

Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mikeycee Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > This whole thing has gone in the ditch. I want someone to keep a running total on all of the normal flu cases and attributed deaths neck and neck with this virus. Should be interesting race to see which pulls out to a lead. That cruise ship that was stranded in San Francisco harbor tells it all for me. What was it only 700 infected out of more than 3000 after a two week quarantine and no deaths? Turn off the boob tube and get back to work folks. angry smiley Mike
>
>
> THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MINUTE BUBBA. WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW ENTIRE STATES SHUT DOWN FOR THE FLU?

Because of over reacting governors etc. How many cases of normal flu strains are going on at the same time in NY and Ca.? These are also killing high risk persons too!

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 24, 2020 07:19AM

I have a feeling that many of you are not old enough to remember the time when whole communities shut down because of large polio outbreaks that was experienced back in the 1940's & 1950's. I lived it, and clearly remember not being able to play with other kids in the neighborhood. We all practiced self quarantine to avoid getting polio, a lifelong crippling and sometimes deadly disease. Today, many people don't have a clue as to how dangerous and infectious that polio was, and as a result they don't have their children immunized against the disease.
With time and research, we will defeat this virus with a vaccine. I only hope that we are all around to see that day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 24, 2020 07:59AM

Something isn't making a whole lot of sense here. I just Googled a bunch of auto parts stores in Mass. Everyone of them is open, looks like the same exemption as Pa. Since Clarks is nearly the only source for a lot of parts and there are still folks using Vairs as DD one would think they would be exempt.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 24, 2020 08:09AM

It is a fine line between a automobile manufacturing business that also sells parts and an auto parts store. Realistically, they are not a store, since there are no walk in sales. Without going into details beyond this, I believe that Cal & Joan decided for the safety of their workers, and to avoid any chance of being in violation of the Governors mandate, they chose to err on the side of caution and close the next 2 weeks. I am certain that they didn't make this decision lightly. Before you know it, the two weeks will be over with and they will be up and running again. In the mean time, since the website is still up, but not accepting orders, put your order into the wish list, and when the website comes back for ordering, move it to the order page. Not having ever place an order on their website, but I have on others, I believe this is how it works.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: March 24, 2020 09:33AM

junkman Wrote:
> I have a feeling that many of you are not old enough to remember the time when whole communities shut down because of large polio outbreaks that was experienced back in the 1940's & 1950's. I lived it, and clearly remember not being able to play with other kids in the neighborhood. We all practiced self quarantine to avoid getting polio, a lifelong crippling and sometimes deadly disease. Today, many people don't have a clue as to how dangerous and infectious that polio was, and as a result they don't have their children immunized against the disease.
> With time and research, we will defeat this virus with a vaccine. I only hope that we are all around to see that day.

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe current being "refurbished"
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 24, 2020 10:22AM

pvholgado Wrote:
> junkman Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I have a feeling that many of you are not old enough to remember the time when whole communities shut down because of large polio outbreaks that was experienced back in the 1940's & 1950's. I lived it, and clearly remember not being able to play with other kids in the neighborhood. We all practiced self quarantine to avoid getting polio, a lifelong crippling and sometimes deadly disease. Today, many people don't have a clue as to how dangerous and infectious that polio was, and as a result they don't have their children immunized against the disease.
> > With time and research, we will defeat this virus with a vaccine. I only hope that we are all around to see that day.
>
Yes I remember my mother telling me that when she was a child a friend died of polio. My mother lived in a small town as a child so polio spread everywhere until there was a vaccine.

Re: polio
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 24, 2020 10:31AM

I was the first kid in school to get the 1st polio shot. Nurse broke the needle off!! She whispered, "don't you dare make a peep!" It was in the Cafeteria....

It was a tiny needle.... but I got poked twice!! GG

Nothing like the Army's "Wall of needles" before going overseas.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 24, 2020 10:32AM

Hi Junk, not disagreeing with you, but how old are you? Where did you live? My wife and I are in out 70s and don't remember quarantines. We were both vaccinated before attending school. Maybe your memory is better than ours.I am very familiar with the polio. My uncle had it and walked with a slight limp all his life. He died at 52 of a heart attack while shoveling snow. He was always active in pretty good shape, but a smoker. My Mom always felt that the polio had a lot to do with sudden attack.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: March 24, 2020 12:13PM

Well, I've been holding out hope that Clark's would be able to ship my order out before they had to shut down at noon, but at 3:00 p.m. and no shipping confirmation I'm thinking that's not very likely.

Had a couple of PM's regarding potential alternate sources. Will be replying back shortly.

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: March 24, 2020 12:17PM

I was 7 years old in 1955 when everyone in school was given 3 injections of the vacine. In L.A. there was a special hospital dedicated to polio patients. Rancho Los Amigos.

Some people got well with minimal life long damage, others, like F.D.Rosevelt had major damage. Others just died.

All I am saying is that different people have different outcomes from the same event

But read about the Spanish flu in 1918 in both Philadelphia PA and in St Louis. Different decisions and different results

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 24, 2020 12:46PM

Is California Corvairs shipping parts? I keep things on hand but I'll be needing a few things.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 24, 2020 01:59PM

He hasn't said differently...and he has a small crew since he quite servicing cars....just wasn't worth it in Calif.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: March 24, 2020 04:21PM

I grew up just outside NYC in the early 50's. Just about every Saturday my parents and I would take the subway into the city. The subway's were filthy then as now so I can't imagine what I touched and could have gotten,but never came down with anything. I believe the spike in cases in NYC could come from taxi cabs as well. They surely are not wiped down probably not at all between fares.
I got the Salk vaccine I guess at about 10 years old (1954) but I was never told to avoid my friends. I know it was a big deal. Biggest event in my young days was breaking my leg playing stickball! EddieB Dade City,Fl

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: March 24, 2020 05:01PM

I am still open to process any orders you may need.
John Sweet
John's Corvair Parts

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: March 24, 2020 07:38PM

Born in 1941. I remember the polio scares. A girl down the street from me got it. Town pool and beaches closed.
The 1918 St Louis and Philadelphia responses to the "Spanish Flu" is a good epidemiological lesson.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Date: March 24, 2020 08:31PM

David, what do they attribute all the cases in NY / NJ to? Dense population?

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: March 24, 2020 09:38PM

Its probably a combination of population density (try the subway at rush hour) and visitors from all over the country and world.
Saw an interview with a senator from South Dakota on TV tonight saying he doesn't expect a large number of cases as few people visit.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: coppertop666 ()
Date: March 25, 2020 11:29AM

FYI I just spoke to Rafee and he is still open - [www.corvair1.com]

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: March 25, 2020 01:08PM

Money, parts, no time....
Money, time, no parts...
No money, no parts, time...

Can't seem to get this right.

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.