Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Rebuilding both primary carbs, float springs different
Posted by: clw ()
Date: March 23, 2020 09:57AM

In one case the floats naturally fall in the middle of their range. On the other the spring is different and does not hold the floats mid-range, they fall completely. Can the 2nd spring be adjusted to provide more tension? I read a lot of posts and somewhere I read the suggestion to adjust the spring.

Are instructions on this available?

Thanks

1966 Corsa Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rebuilding both primary carbs, float springs different
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 23, 2020 01:01PM

If both floats are identical.... check your "float Drop" adjustment

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: March 23, 2020 01:47PM

I was advised in a previous post (attached) to adjust the springs so that the float is "weightless" when holding the carb top in operating position.

[corvaircenter.com]

Here's what I did, and it worked for me: I first set the float drop to the factory spec without the spring installed. I then installed the spring and remeasured the float drop. I bent the spring arm as described in the attached post until the float drop was slightly (about 1/32") less than without the spring. This allowed me to setup all four carbs the same, and it solved a persistent venturi drip at idle I had with one of them.

One thing I noticed was the the stock springs were fairly close, but the Clark's repro springs (one of my carbs was missing the spring) were noticeably stiffer and wanted to almost hold the needle/seat closed. A little massaging with a pair of needlenose pliers had it behaving like the others.

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 23, 2020 08:48PM

What Jim said.thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 24, 2020 06:34AM

I'm going to be more careful with this.

When having trouble with drippy venturi clusters I cut the ignition and electric fuel pump, remove the carburetors and take the tops off the carburetors. Usually the fuel level in the bowl looks just fine, a little below (maybe 1/8") the top of the "ramp" adjacent to the main jet. If the inlet system was the trouble wouldn't it be evidenced by a high fuel level in the bowl?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: clw ()
Date: March 24, 2020 09:34AM

Jim times 2:

Only 1/8"? That's not much.

You have to consider that the floats will displace some gas in the float bowl. How much? That's a good question as I don't know how much of the iceberg (well float) is below the gas line.

In the dirt bike world we adjust the float shutoff angle to a bigger number to keep gas from purging out the overflow tubes. Not so much for performance, it's a better mileage trick so we don't have to stop for gas as often.

I'm thinking I'll adjust as Jim C. suggested and also make sure the shutoff angle is at the high end of correct.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 24, 2020 09:56AM

Bob Bellew:

[corvaircenter.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 24, 2020 09:00PM

I did a pair of Secondary carbs today. One float hanging free was towards the top of it's travel, the other one towards the bottom. I bent both springs so the float hung a little lower than halfway.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.