Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
WTB Nice Rear Air Grille for 1963 Car
Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: March 22, 2020 08:11PM

WTB nice condition rear air grille for my 1963 Monza.

needpart

B'ham, AL
1961 Monza coupe 98hp, 4spd
1963 Monza coupe 102hp, pg
Vulcan Corvair Enthusiasts
[corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 08:34PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB Nice Rear Air Grille for 1963 Car
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 22, 2020 08:49PM

That is the same as the 1962 rear air grille. They have been scarce for at least 20 years, since they were discontinued as soon as the 1964 cars went into production. I have my own belief as to why, after examining them in relationship to the 1964 rear air grille. I believe that GM used the same tooling and reworked it for the 1964 rear air grille. There is no other reasonable explanation why the 1962/1963 grille was discontinued so quickly. Normally, there was an abundance of trim parts for all GM models for at least 5 or 10 years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: March 22, 2020 10:07PM

Ask Cal Clark... I WTB a couple of them as well. If you are not a perfectionist, buy one for the 62 wagon. Those are still out there.

Crawford Rose

Date: March 23, 2020 05:55AM

I don't see a reproduction of the rear air grille happening in the future. The costs involved with a reproduction such as this, and the state of our economy today I don't see this as a reality. Just the cost of the dies to do the stamping will most likely cost at least $25,000. Add to that the material production cost and labor to stamp them, a minimum run of 500 pieces, what would you need for a retail price for a return on investment. Most reproductions can take years before the initial investment is recouped, and a profit is seen. How many buyers would there be if they were priced at $200 each?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 23, 2020 06:33AM

caroseiii Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ask Cal Clark... I WTB a couple of them as well. If you are not a perfectionist, buy one for the 62 wagon. Those are still out there.
>
> Crawford Rose

Are you also planning to add the half round body opening for the exhaust to match the grill?

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: March 23, 2020 06:59AM

Here is the story on the 62-63 grille: GM was at point where they were replacing them due to damage in a short amount of time for new owners. The structure of the grill itself is fragile at best, and they found that stones and rocks were thrown up during driving and they would bend of break the areas between the grills very easily.

The 64 style grille afforded them a most robust structure in the final piece, which added more surface area of aluminum than the previous grill, and it was far more rigid. The 62-63 grill was discontinued by GM in early 1966. The 64 grill became the universal replacement for 61-64 cars.

Having been at a company here in the US that had quoted the tooling for the 64 style grill to Clarks, I can tell you it required multiple progressive dies for all the operations to create a final finished piece. Not to mention, you would need to invest in racks for anodizing as well. We didn't even quote a buffing step, as we suggested to do this in whats known as "one side brite" aluminum. The costs to do this state side in the late 1990'was around $175K alone. Clarks had passed at that time.

I've kept an excellent used 62-63 grill for a future project of refinishing it for the right car I may come across.

If you can find a straight used one, you may want to consider having it stripped, buffed and re-anodized. It will cost you, but if originality is what you are looking for, it may be your only path forward.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Posted by: antkoto ()
Date: March 23, 2020 07:31AM

ForSale one NOS 62-63 rear grille. Expensive as it is the only one I have left.
It is still in the GM wrapper. It is not for the station wagon.

Date: March 23, 2020 10:12AM

PM sent

Posted by: blackspyder ()
Date: March 23, 2020 10:27AM

Jp, I sent you an email

Roger Fedor
Whitehall, PA
1963 Spyder Coupe, currently undergoing re-restoration

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: March 23, 2020 10:29AM

I have an Oct of '64 parts book for the start of the '65 module year and it still shows the '62-'3 grille. The '60 and '61 style had been discontinued and superseded to the '62-'3 style. I have had 1 NOS '62-'3 grille and it was in the newer turquoise and white wrapper so it was probably one of the later ones made.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: TomW ()
Date: March 24, 2020 03:43PM

I have a NOS 62-63 Rear Air Grill, still in it's (deteriorating) brown corrigated cardboard package. I'm selling my 1962 102/4 Coupe (w/ 87,000 orig. miles) so I won't be installing the new Grill. PM me if you still need it.

Date: March 24, 2020 04:28PM

PM sent.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: March 24, 2020 04:43PM

RThompson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> . The 62-63 grill was discontinued by GM in early 1966. The 64 grill became the universal replacement for 61-64 cars.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Rich

This makes me wonder if points would be deducted at a Corvair event if a car had a 64 grill as a factory replacement, but wasn't a 64?

Hope this makes sense.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: March 24, 2020 07:19PM

Ive got an answer for you...

There would be no point deduction in the score for the car, as long as the grille itself was both and in excellent condition.

NOW, where the 64 universal replacement grille comes into play, is for CLASSIFICATION. If you are seeking a Factory Stock Restored or FS Original class, the car must have the grill style correct for that year car. hence, a 62 and 63 would need its original grill, as well would a 61, and a 60 model. If you use a 64 grill on any of these model years, that can remove you from consideration for a Factory Stock designation.

Hope this helps!

Rich

Date: March 24, 2020 07:30PM

A Casco lighter can get you disqualified from factory stock!

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: March 25, 2020 04:45AM

Great info Gents. Thank you.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: texascorvairs ()
Date: March 28, 2020 05:00PM

hello I just found 2 real nice ones off a 62 car .they were in old schoolbus for 30 years .lol these are for a car not the wagon .thanks jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.