Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Questions about Drain Tube O Rings
Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: March 21, 2020 02:08PM

1st Question: Since I have a great many red Silicone O rings, I wonder How they hold up vs Viton. I have always been reluctant to try them.

2nd Question: I have many O rings that are years old. I know that Viton rings used to be sold without being colored brown. Is there any test to find out which is which?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions about Drain Tube O Rings
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: March 21, 2020 03:55PM

As far as the silicone o-rings you just need to make sure there are no sharp edges on the o-ring ramps to nick the silicone. They are very susceptible to getting nicks in them and after that they will NOT seal. They will take higher temps and they even swell a little to help seal.

Unless the black o-rings you have are marked I have not found a way to tell them apart. I have heard the viton was a little larger OD but that would be very hard to measure. I forget what the difference was in dimension.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 21, 2020 04:46PM

I can always tell 'after the fact'. Buna will swell triple or more in size when placed in carb cleaner but Viton remains very close to normal size.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 21, 2020 08:06PM

with the effort required to change them, I would not guess or take a chance. I would buy fresh known viton o-rings and install them. They are not that expensive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: March 21, 2020 08:42PM

That's what I have always done. That's why they are still laying around.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 21, 2020 08:43PM

Viton O-Rings are still available in Black. I buy them for sealing things at work, not Corvairs. Also come in different durometers.

[www.marcorubber.com]

For years Clark's C4314 were sold in black color.

Silicone was the Corvair O-Ring choice for several years, maybe around 1974, until Viton took over as the golden child.

OD should be the same between material types, as they are AS568 standard sizes.

[www.applerubber.com]

[www.applerubber.com]

If you buy the Viton from Marco a thousand at a time, they are real reasonable!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: March 22, 2020 01:15PM

On air conditioning units I have been using Viton green O rings, and have had a difficult time finding some of the smaller O rings that GM used through the years. Without being an engineer, how do you know how to specify and order these types of O rings? In the GM catalogs, they gave a part number and a dimension in some instances, but not always. When removing them, they are usually as flat as a pancake.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 22, 2020 02:40PM

I have replaced leaking red silicone o-rings that someone else put in. I think that's what comes in Fel-Pro sets. For the 10 or 15 dollars and a few days to get Viton I will just go with that myself.
Put the bottom of the pushrod tube through the head before you put the o-ring on no matter what you're using.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 27, 2020 10:40AM

I feel your pain junkman. A/C o-rings are tough. If you figure it out let me know.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 27, 2020 10:43AM

[www.harborfreight.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 27, 2020 10:46AM

I've got 3 assortments like that and still often don't have there right size.
The hardest one to find in recent memory is the correct o-ring for GM oriface tubes. The new tubes I've bought lately come with the wrong o-ring and won't fit. I found someone at Napa that spent the time to locate the correct one but now I can't remember where I wrote down the part number. :-(

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2020 10:50AM by joelsplace.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.