Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Way OT - nissan CVT trans treatment?
Posted by: hjackson3149 ()
Date: March 21, 2020 08:47AM

good afternoon all

I have 2012 altima 2.5 with CVT trans in it.
just recently it started to have a random studdering under light accel.
this is very random .
I was looking at different additives for these but not real sure what to try if anything

hoping Richard1 might chime in with his suggestions on any treatment that might help

any and help will be much appreciated

thanks in advance

Hank Jackson
South Florida
69 Monza PG
everybody has to believe in something and
I believe I will have another.
one for the Road!

The Three Stages of Christine

;;

Re: Way OT - nissan CVT trans treatment?
Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: March 21, 2020 08:56AM

As I'm sure you know, CVT transmissions use specific fluids. "Usually" when there is an issue with a CVT, there is an issue with the CVT and snake oils will usually not take care of it. As far as CVT snake oils, I do not know of any without googling. We have seen a few Subarus with CVT's going a bit too early IMO, mostly in the Crosstreks for some reason. I do not know much about them.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: March 21, 2020 10:15AM

I looked for TSB’s on your concern. None specific to this but from my experience with CVT transaxles is the first course of action is a fluid change. Factory procedures call for the return hose to be removed from the cooler at the radiator. Route the hose to a drain pan and refill as fluid comes out of the cooler. Engine running. Repeat until fluid changes color. Next it describes clearing the fluid deterioration date with the scan tool. I’m not sure if this clears the adaptation values or just a service reminder. Use fluid the conforms to Nissan NS-2 spec. Looks like a 10quart service.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 21, 2020 11:30AM

Fluid change would be my suggestion also. How many miles were on it and when was there last time you changed it?
Does it have a serviceable filter?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 21, 2020 12:41PM

Sorry to say but those Altima's CVT transmissions are total junk and have a history of failing prematurely, there are numerous lemon law suits going on and Nissan actually increased the warrantee period to cover problems with this transmission, you might check with your dealer and see if your car falls under the extended warantee period? Also, IMO those cars are problem prone from the time they left the factory, My wife has a 2010 2.5 Altima that was given to us a year ago with 80,000 miles and a cracked header pipe and leaking oil cooler (2 other know'n problems with these cars) the transmission was already replaced in this car at about 50,000, the oil cooler was a pain for me to fix, I welded all the cracks up in the header pipe as a new one cost more than the car is worth, in the last year I have Replaced, the oil cooler, header pipe, water pump, radiator and all plastic connectors that crumbled in my hands including the main connector with the radiator cap and overflow can with cracks in it and leaked and all hoses, fuse block at the battery just fried for no apparent reason, front wheel bearing, idler pulley, belt that got soaked with coolant when the water pump died. I have replaced 1/2 the light bulbs in the car and just this morning I noticed its making a new noise I have not looked at yet! If I would have know'n what junk these cars are I would have not even taken it for free! IMO trade that thing in and get a Honda or Toyota if you want a Japanese car. NISSAN are junk! [www.lemonlawcase.com]

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 12:43PM by davemotohead.

Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: March 21, 2020 12:57PM

My good friend is a Nissan tech and says these CVT are problematic and are changed out at 50K with regularity.
A fliud change at the beginning of shuddering fixes nothing.
It will come back.
If covered by a warranty or a TSB, get it fixed.
Then trade it in for one of Dave's suggestions

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 21, 2020 01:29PM

My DIL gave hers to had Dad when she got a new car. It was newer than what he was driving. Within a year it started falling apart and repairs were more than it was worth. He is not a wrench! He dumped it and got a KIA and is happy with it as we are with both of ours.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: March 21, 2020 01:43PM

Nissan started having the tech do a belt inspection depending on the codes set. This requires a bore scope and removal of the valve body. If the belt and pulley look ok they replace the valve body. If they don't, they replace the transmission.Most of the time once it gets the "judder" it need a transmission. Pretty much all of the manufacturers that use or have used CVT transmissions have problems with them. It's an inherently weak design.
Nissan is reportedly in the process of planning conventional transmissions in future models because of the damage from class action law suits.

Lee J

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: March 21, 2020 01:56PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He dumped it and got a KIA and is happy with it as we are with both of ours.
-------------------------------------------------------
My sister traded her problematic ford explorer in for a KIA and she is very happy with it so far, I have heard good things about KIA.

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Dave Decker ()
Date: March 22, 2020 09:12AM

My daughter had an '04 Mini with a CVT. Class action lawsuit in the states was won and Mini would have been on the hook to replace it regardless of mileage. Had other problems too. Traded it in on my Tacoma and gave her my Mazda CX3. Couldn't be happier!

Dave, Kamloops, B.C. '65 Crown V8, 2017 Mazda CX3

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: March 22, 2020 04:37PM

I have never been a fan of CVT transmissions. When Audi designed their own in-house CVT it was riddled with reliability issues. Mini had loads of problems, Nissan has problems with some of the models. Know someone with a Rogue and they have close to 200K and still going. Subaru had their share of problems but have gotten better as of late. Remember the Saturn Vue? Loads of CVT issues. Give me a torque converted transmission any day over the belt drive units.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: March 23, 2020 09:22AM

Do not buy any car new or used with a cvt trans.They are garbage.

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: March 23, 2020 10:12AM

JATCO transmissions, CVT and geared automatics, are POSs.

Nissan can't sue JATCO because they own the company.

Also, NEVER flush a transmission to change the fluid.
Ask me how I know.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.