Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Turbo V-band clamp nut oddity
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: March 20, 2020 07:03AM

The V-band clamp that holds the center section to the exhaust housing has a threaded "puller" section that is a die formed thing around a threaded section, and the nut presses on the split ends of this die formed thing as the threaded section is being drawn when tightening the nut. It looks like there's supposed to be a special tube with "cap" end that goes over the die formed puller section to "capture" the splits and prevent the nut from spreading the puller as it rotates and pushes.
Mine has never had this cap thingy and when I tried to tighten the v-band, promptly split the puller. Anyone have a extra one of these caps?, or are they even a stock item? I couldnt find it at Clarks.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turbo V-band clamp nut oddity
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: March 20, 2020 07:50AM

Kevin even though it is a separate piece I think it always just was part of the band. It is a fairly tight slip fit over the end too. You might check to ensure you haven't damaged that and the small collar will no longer fit in place.

To answer your actual question yes I have either the bell shaped piece or another clamp complete. Probably someone near you in Wash/Ore has one which is closer to you too. Maybe in your club in Seattle??

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: March 20, 2020 08:05AM

USED TURBO HOUSING CLAMP

I will also check a couple of parts boxes might have one smileys with beer

Ken
'62 Spyder Coupe
Florida

Date: March 20, 2020 09:19AM

Steve and Ken... thanks for the replies, and the link. I went ahead and ordered the whole V-band. I cant believe that as long as I've had that turbo, and V-band,
I never knew about that collar thingy. It totally made sense that it should have had something like that, after I split the puller.

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
engine less 62 Spyder

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: March 22, 2020 06:09AM

I had a guy bring his spyder to me to make it run better and 1 of the many issues it had was the v ban clamp also missing that piece , I re sized the distorted piece and I think I used a piece of 3/8 fuel line over it . it worked perfectly easy fix .

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Posted by: truckin-on ()
Date: March 23, 2020 08:43PM

IIRC, the early turbo had a different band clamp than the later one. I don't know when the change was made - perhaps '65, but there was definitely a difference. The later ones didn't have the extra band around the clamp that the early did.

Date: March 23, 2020 09:15PM

Its truly amazing what a difference in spooling there is after tightening all of the exhaust bolts (and the v-band!!) I must have had slight seeper type leaks in all of the exhaust stuff leading to the turbo. WOWSER!

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
engine less 62 Spyder

Date: March 24, 2020 02:22PM

Epilogue: I recieved the v-band clamp today, and was all set to either remove the collar from the replacement, or replace the whole clamp assembly. Neither turned out to be a viable option... as Steve pointed out, that collar is on really tight, and despite my best efforts, could not remove it. Trying to take off the whole band was a really stupid idea, I guess I was hoping that the gasket on the housing would keep the assembly together if I removed the band only, but of course this didnt happen. The housing moved ever so slightly when the band was loose enough.
Fortunately, the band got stuck when the housing moved, and this prevented me from
making a potentially bigger mistake... getting the housing off-center enough relative to the turbine to cause it to stick. Not wanting to "do it the right way"
and remove all of the intake stuff and turbo to safely get the v-band clamp off,
I decided to attempt the repair suggested by roger65180. I re-tweaked the puller section as close to round again as I could, then cut a piece of stainless 3/8" tubing, and set about trying to put it on with my fingers. Of course that plan was doomed to failure also, because no matter how hard I tried
I couldnt get the piece round enough for my tube to go on, Then, noticing how close it was, I finally got the bright idea to put the tube on, then thread the nut on and viola!! the nut pushed the tube over the split section and I was able to torque the whole works down properly. This is the SLICK way to take care of that collar if it is missing!! It even looks like it is supposed to be there!! Thanks roger65180!

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
engine less 62 Spyder

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 24, 2020 03:13PM

63turbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Epilogue: I recieved the v-band clamp today, and was all set to either remove the collar from the replacement, or replace the whole clamp assembly. Neither turned out to be a viable option... as Steve pointed out, that collar is on really tight, and despite my best efforts, could not remove it. Trying to take off the whole band was a really stupid idea, I guess I was hoping that the gasket on the housing would keep the assembly together if I removed the band only, but of course this didnt happen. The housing moved ever so slightly when the band was loose enough.
> Fortunately, the band got stuck when the housing moved, and this prevented me from
> making a potentially bigger mistake... getting the housing off-center enough relative to the turbine to cause it to stick. Not wanting to "do it the right way"
> and remove all of the intake stuff and turbo to safely get the v-band clamp off,
> I decided to attempt the repair suggested by roger65180. I re-tweaked the puller section as close to round again as I could, then cut a piece of stainless 3/8" tubing, and set about trying to put it on with my fingers. Of course that plan was doomed to failure also, because no matter how hard I tried
> I couldnt get the piece round enough for my tube to go on, Then, noticing how close it was, I finally got the bright idea to put the tube on, then thread the nut on and viola!! the nut pushed the tube over the split section and I was able to torque the whole works down properly. This is the SLICK way to take care of that collar if it is missing!! It even looks like it is supposed to be there!! Thanks roger65180!

No pics.
It didn't happen.

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 24, 2020 03:13PM

Kevin, post pics of your shredded fingers!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 24, 2020 06:29PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin, post pics of your shredded fingers!!

Fortunately, no shredded fingers and no blood spinning smiley sticking its tongue out, I could tell it was futile to push hard enough to risk doing that so I stopped. Then I wondered what would happen if I used the nut in place of my fingers... kind of hoping that the tube thing would suck in the split section, which it did. easy peasy!
I will take a shot of the repair though.

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
engine less 62 Spyder

Date: March 24, 2020 07:45PM

As promised here's PROOF that it happened!! look at the shiny part adjacent to the nut on the V-band clamp on the right. This is the piece of 3/8" S.S. tubing that I cut using a hacksaw, and then cleaned up the end with a file. I would have liked to use a tubing cutter on it but it looked like it would be too short to work well with the cutter I had. Next pic is of the engine, without my favorite bell on it, so as to get a better warm up for this kind of weather. I swear, if I would have known what this cam, fan, guide vane bell / airflow pulley combo was going to be like, I would have jacked up the compression ratio to 8.5:1, at least!

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
engine less 62 Spyder

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.