Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: OT-About the coronavirus from a biologist
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 22, 2020 11:11AM

Hey Steve, I was told this virus does not like warmth which might explain lower numbers in warmer areas (Phoenix has very few). The same person told me I should breath hot air from a hair dryer!?! Is there any facts to these statements?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: March 22, 2020 11:13AM

Tim, I tried sticking a hair dryer up where the sun don't shine, and I feel so much better!!! You should try it ????

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 22, 2020 11:15AM

Thanks Andrew. Great advice. BTW, my wife is the one that shared this with me. She got it off of... FaceB (where I don't go). I hope to see you in SD this summer.

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: March 22, 2020 11:30AM

Tim,
It may more likely be the dryness than the heat. Coronaviruses are surrounded by a membrane, and do not hold up well on dry surfaces. They spread most effectively in aerosols, the little droplets of moisture we release when we exhale. In dry environments those aerosols evaporate quickly, which leads to quicker inactivation of the virus. The data I've seen was that heat inactivation of Coronaviruses requires ~56oC (~130oF), and I don't believe it gets that hot even in Phoenix; but maybe Durango?
Steve

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: March 22, 2020 12:26PM

My sister who is an emergency medicine MD agrees. The person to person contact spread will probably change little at most but the spread from contacting contaminated surfaces should decrease as the moisture surrounding the virus dries faster.
There is some hopeful optimism the spread may slow with warmer temperatures but currently there is no real data to confirm.
While Albuquerque is similar to Phoenix with relatively few cases, the number of daily cases in both cities is definitely ramping upwards.

SteveInMarietta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tim,
> It may more likely be the dryness than the heat. Coronaviruses are surrounded by a membrane, and do not hold up well on dry surfaces. They spread most effectively in aerosols, the little droplets of moisture we release when we exhale. In dry environments those aerosols evaporate quickly, which leads to quicker inactivation of the virus. The data I've seen was that heat inactivation of Coronaviruses requires ~56oC (~130oF), and I don't believe it gets that hot even in Phoenix; but maybe Durango?
> Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 12:28PM by NMCarNut.

Posted by: jfrese ()
Date: March 22, 2020 05:25PM

Social distancing means JUST THAT! I have seen FB posts about fishing clubs that practice "social distancing" by going out in separate boats which is commendable but then all posing for a group picture with their arms around each other! I have also seen posts where they brought presents to grandma and the grandkids brought the presents up to the porch and then grandma poses for a picture with her arms around the grandkids! This, folks is not social distancing! All age groups can be contagious, the young are not exempt! Now that spring break is drawing to a close, I believe we will see an increase or a second wave of this disease. Is common sense a feature that is limited to us older folks????

'65 Monza vert, 140, 4 spd
Halfway between Knoxville and Gatlinburg

Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: March 22, 2020 06:21PM

Pretty sure my wife and I have it but can't get a test so we are self quarantining. Fortunately both in good health. Andrew Cuomo's daily press conferences are must see TV in our house. Straightforward, no BS, optimistic but serious, and even some light hearted humor.

Date: March 22, 2020 07:23PM

Tonight my girlfriend says her chest is feeling weird, and she has a headache. And her son works in an extremely busy grocery store in Southern (Rockland County-Money) New York, in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. And his wife is probably pregnant.

I just left there, I was there for 10 days, I attended synagogue, went to the wholesale supply, and did things everybody does every day. I've been back for a week. And I have terrible asthma, but I feel fine...

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: March 22, 2020 08:29PM

UGLYTRUK Wrote:

>
> I just left there, I was there for 10 days, I attended synagogue, went to the wholesale supply, and did things everybody does every day. I've been back for a week. And I have terrible asthma, but I feel fine...

Thanks for helping to spread this around.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 22, 2020 08:33PM

jfrese Wrote:
> Now that spring break is drawing to a close, I believe we will see an increase or a second wave of this disease.
=============================================

Look at NYC / State this week after last Wed-Friday's Rush to return to the US. "Guesstimates" are 35,000+ ???

How many were sick when they got here?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: FL103Dave ()
Date: March 22, 2020 08:49PM

Murphy Wrote:
> UGLYTRUK Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > I just left there, I was there for 10 days, I attended synagogue, went to the wholesale supply, and did things everybody does every day. I've been back for a week. And I have terrible asthma, but I feel fine...
>
> Thanks for helping to spread this around.

I agree - this is the type of activity that needs to stop.

Dave

Naples, Florida
1968 Monza Coupe 140 4 Speed, Quick Steer, HD Suspension, Tele Wheel - My Dad bought new in Jan 1968 - 265,000 miles
1974 Corvette - 350 Auto.
2016 Cadillac ATS-V
2003 Harley-Davidson Road King

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 22, 2020 09:14PM

Guy on FB, from Florida / retired, posted a pic of he and his wife at a Super crowded Flea Market! Said all was reduced in price because it was the last one before closure!

I made a comment... both were deleted!! GG

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: March 22, 2020 10:17PM

> ---------------------------
> Thanks for helping to spread this around.
> -----------------------------

I respectfully ask that we do not "blame" other people for spreading the virus. I am among the least religious, but I do believe that this extraordinary situation will become infinitely more difficult if we start casting proverbial stones. Let's remind ourselves of the need for social distancing, and do our best to practice it. In this remarkable situation where we could all, and many will, unwittingly help spread the virus, the notion of "us" vs "them" (the spreaders) is a fallacy, but that "we" will all fair better through mutual support is not.
Steve

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: March 22, 2020 11:27PM

Steve,

I say thank you for your very practical advice and observations. All Without any blame game nonsense.

Date: March 23, 2020 03:03AM

Actually, since I returned from my social interactions, I've been wearing an N95 mask, and keeping my distance from EVERYBODY, by SEPARATING myself when I can, and the mask, and unfortunately I had to go to deal with a flooded basement, and I didn't encounter any one without my N95 mask on

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

I'm also supposed to fly to Mexico on Thursday from JFK. I called the airline to cancel my flight because it's ridiculous to stand in a security line, crowded airplane, security and Customs entering Mexico, car rental etc. And the airline refused to refund my ticket. I said the borders are closed between countries, the fellow n Mexico said NOT the airports! So Yesterday, a day later, I called back again, but I was unable to connect anybody to chat, and after 15 minutes they just hung up from there I'm not just hold music. So I called my credit card company to dispute the charge. As much as I wanted to go, my first time ever in Mexico, and to celebrate my girlfriends birthday, (she wanted to see her 89 year-old mother), the whole thing is ridiculous when there's such a high risk of spreading the disease! I haven't spoken to my girlfriend this morning, but I wonder if she feels better or worse?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2020 03:10AM by UGLYTRUK.

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: March 23, 2020 04:21AM

Just wanted to share an article that I thought was positive and science based.

[www.latimes.com]

Date: March 23, 2020 04:57AM

On a positive note, my girlfriend reports that she's feeling much better this morning, and she's off to the wholesale produce Supply Company, just in case she didn't pick anything up over multiple trips last week

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 23, 2020 06:01AM

Normally this time of year we are loading up the motorhome for a month long trip to the Florida Keys. About a week ago we decided not to go this year, thinking we could get in a worse situation than we have at home. Yesterday they closed the Keys down. Glad we decided not to go. We are staying in contact with our friends in the RV park that have wintered over, they are OK to stay since they have a lease of more than a month. I expect the day program for our handicapped son will be shut down, hopefully we will get some more warm weather so we can cruise in the Vair and bike, stopping for nothing but gas.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 23, 2020 06:06AM

I wrote:

"I've taken a simvastatin for cholesterol for many years. The last year I also take 1/4 aspirin (81 mg). They say once you begin that you shouldn't stop. If I should happen to get Coronavirus and start taking acetaminophen for fever associated with that should I suspend the aspirin? I've read in the past not to take aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen at the same time."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a little weird to answer my own question but Tylenol website says it's okay to continue low dose aspirin and also take acetaminophen for fever and pain due to virus.
Low dose aspirin and ibuprofen together maybe not so much.

I've been walking again to improve my heart and lung capacity. I've been a little lax since Christmas.

I'm pretty much at home as ready as I can be to be sick for 2 weeks. Not living in fear but being careful. Out in the garage working on Corvairs. My wife is home from her school job and hasn't been bugging me too much yet. No cases in my county reported yet but adjoining counties.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2020 06:07AM by JimBrandberg.

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: March 23, 2020 09:17AM

UGLYTRUK Wrote:
> On a positive note, my girlfriend reports that she's feeling much better this morning, and she's off to the wholesale produce Supply Company, just in case she didn't pick anything up over multiple trips last week

confused smiley

Dave

Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.