Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT-About the coronavirus from a biologist
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 19, 2020 04:28PM

I "self quarantined" in my Volvo auto repair shop starting back in 1991. That has been good for my net worth as well as staying away from the masses. I do pray everyday for us all in this world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ragreeney ()
Date: March 19, 2020 05:03PM

The graphs are informative, but it would be useful to 1) see both numbers on the same scale/graph and 2) see corresponding graphs for the swine flu of 2009/10. I fear that the economic impact of the measures taken to 'flatten the curve' are going to be far more devastating and longer lasting than the virus.

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: March 19, 2020 05:14PM

Normally when data for two different measures are very different in their magnitude, they are grafted on different scales so that the trends of both lines will be evident.
Steve

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 19, 2020 05:43PM

SteveInMarietta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I knew (or suspected) I had it, I would self-quarantine immediately. I would not want to infect anyone else.
> Steve

That's what Bob did without the test. That's why I asked the question.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 19, 2020 08:09PM

Do I want to get some Tylenol in case I get it?
I usually have ibuprofen around but it's maybe not recommended?
I started walking again to maybe get my heart and lungs in better shape. Sounds like the lungs are what especially have trouble.
I've never had a flu shot and it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: jfrese ()
Date: March 19, 2020 08:27PM

The trouble with this virus is that you don't show symptoms for about 4 or 5 days after contamination, but you are contagious during that time and can pass it to other people. What really worries me is all the "spring breakers" packed in like sardines on the beaches and think they will not contract the virus because they are young, or just don't care. Even after the curve flattens and the numbers start to go down, I think we are going to have a second wave, like Asia is experiencing right now, due to people not taking this seriously.

'65 Monza vert, 140, 4 spd
Halfway between Knoxville and Gatlinburg

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 19, 2020 09:38PM

Indeed!
Most people do not realize that the great Spanish Flu epidemic actually came in THREE waves that were about 3 months apart!

Just as people were thinking it was over, and letting their guards down, WHAM! here it comes AGAIN!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: March 20, 2020 09:54AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> Do I want to get some Tylenol in case I get it?
> I usually have ibuprofen around but it's maybe not recommended?
> I started walking again to maybe get my heart and lungs in better shape. Sounds like the lungs are what especially have trouble.
> I've never had a flu shot and it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Drs are discouraging the use of Ibuprofen and encouraging Tylenol;

Dave

Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: March 20, 2020 07:33PM

jfrese Wrote:
> The trouble with this virus is that you don't show symptoms for about 4 or 5 days after contamination, but you are contagious during that time and can pass it to other people. What really worries me is all the "spring breakers" packed in like sardines on the beaches and think they will not contract the virus because they are young, or just don't care. Even after the curve flattens and the numbers start to go down, I think we are going to have a second wave, like Asia is experiencing right now, due to people not taking this seriously.

True, true.....stay safe all.

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe current being "refurbished"
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: March 20, 2020 10:13PM

American Mel Wrote:
> Indeed!
> Most people do not realize that the great Spanish Flu epidemic actually came in THREE waves that were about 3 months apart!
>
> Just as people were thinking it was over, and letting their guards down, WHAM! here it comes AGAIN!

Oh gee thanks Mel that's just what the sheep need to hear as if they don't get enough of that BS from the media! That serves nothing but stirrin' things up. eye rolling smiley Mike

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 20, 2020 10:55PM

mikeycee Wrote:
> American Mel Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Indeed!
> > Most people do not realize that the great Spanish Flu epidemic actually came in THREE waves that were about 3 months apart!
> >
> > Just as people were thinking it was over, and letting their guards down, WHAM! here it comes AGAIN!
>
>
> Oh gee thanks Mel that's just what the sheep need to hear as if they don't get enough of that BS from the media! That serves nothing but stirrin' things up. eye rolling smiley Mike

What's the matter Mike?
You afraid of the TRUTH ? ? ?
Yes, the media is peddling hype, but people DO need to know what IS going on, and not be told to "Just go stick your head in the sand" like you are promoting!
If you can't sort it out on your own, don't be cry'in around here.
Find a balance Dude!
Just for your Mikey, here is a FUN tidbit you should really enjoy! eye rolling smiley
I just heard today, that Corona cases are back on the UPSWING in China!
Seems that many Chinese who were out of the country during the outbreak, are now slowly making their way back home, . . . . . . and re-introducing the Corona that they PICKED-UP WHILE ABROAD ! ! ! hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: March 21, 2020 09:05AM

A lot of people are trying to self quaranteen, keep distance, work from home, etc. etc. etc.... Yet, you go to the grocery store, barely find a place to park, store is packed full, shelves are empty, everyone is close together, touching everything in sight and people are HOARDING in huge amounts.

If you need to go to the store, buy ONLY what you need for a few weeks, not 6 months. There are elderly and families out there who cannot find toilet paper and certain foods because of the hoarders. Again, buy only what you need for a few weeks, month tops.

I have a feeling after this subsides, there will be some good sales on TP as it won't sell because so many people have such a stock at home.

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
www.dirigocorvairs.net
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: March 21, 2020 11:01AM

I went to Walmart three times yesterday, I grabbed a little extra toilet paper for my business, and I had to make three trips through the cash. The irony is, I had to hide it, because the guys at work like to take an extra roll home because they're too busy buying cigarettes and coffee, and never have toilet paper in their own house.

Second thought, there was not one single Walmart or Sam's Club employee wearing a face mask, and that's either due to they're unavailability, or the discomfort of wearing one. But I did have a cheap one on, and it's debatable if it does anything, but it does keep me from sticking my hands, whether I'm wearing gloves or not, in my mouth or touching my face because it makes you more conscious.

I'm almost 60 years old, and I have terrible asthma that I control with steroids, so I suppose I'm in a high-risk group. But I had some important repairs to do at my apartment building, so I was circulating all week, and now I'm sitting on the couch reading my backlog of Hemmings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 11:12AM by MattNall.

Date: March 21, 2020 03:29PM

It makes a difference where you live:

In Pierce county WA, pop. 880,000 we have 95 cases w/ 1 death
Our county announced it has 8000 test kits now, so case numbers will rise.
I'm still not worried. More cases with little or no symptoms is a good thing!!
Look up your county Health Department to see local statistics.

LINK:Use your computer to help Science!
University of Washington "Rosetta" is using volunteer computer time to help research.

Join Team CORSA/CPF and share some cpu Love!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: March 21, 2020 04:07PM

National or regional differences certainly exist in availability of testing, but differences are less likely in the long-run in regards to percentage of serious cases, at least as suggested by that graph.

I'm suspicious of the data in the graph because there are too many variables, such as when the virus first reached the population, extent and type of testing, and even the criteria used to categorize cases as "serious". I suspect the data simply reflect random differences between regions expected in the early stages of a pandemic.

Factors which would affect the seriousness of the disease include the percentage of the population that is elderly or with pre-existing respiratory track conditions, or having some innate immune resistance to the virus; but also nutritional status, and promptness of medical attention. So eventually it may not be surprising to see differences between wealthier and poorer nations.
Steve

Steve

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 21, 2020 04:37PM

[www.politico.eu]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Chilly Willy ()
Date: March 21, 2020 06:38PM

It is disappointing about the lack of the details of this virus. Pretty much a lot of theories and speculation. Projections? Can we get some real facts?

The Corvair, Keeping Nader Notorious winking smiley

Will
Northern California

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 21, 2020 07:22PM

Chilly Willy Wrote:
> It is disappointing about the lack of the details of this virus. Pretty much a lot of theories and speculation. Projections? Can we get some real facts?
=====================================

Very doubtful! Even after it's over... Look around!! That's the facts!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 21, 2020 08:46PM

Chilly Willy Wrote:
> It is disappointing about the lack of the details of this virus. Pretty much a lot of theories and speculation. Projections? Can we get some real facts?
=====================================

WIll,
I gave a public presentation about the virus; what would you like to know?
Steve

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 22, 2020 09:13AM

SteveInMarietta wrote:

"I gave a public presentation about the virus; what would you like to know?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never had a flu shot. I'm not especially against it, just never did it.

Among other supplements I take 500mg of Vitamin C daily. If I start feeling a bug coming on I suspend that in favor of Emergen-C which is 1000 or 1200 once or twice a day. Many times it has helped "nip it in the bud". Is there benefit with doing that now if I feel a little different? There's probably still some other ailments going around.

I've taken a simvastatin for cholesterol for many years. The last year I also take 1/4 aspirin (81 mg). They say once you begin that you shouldn't stop. If I should happen to get Coronavirus and start taking acetaminophen for fever associated with that should I suspend the aspirin? I've read in the past not to take aspirin, ibuprofen or acetaminophen at the same time.

I work on Corvairs at home anyway. I haven't gone hog wild but have some extra on hand, enough to stay home sick for a few weeks. I'm not cowering in fear but trying to be prepared to get Coronavirus and wondering about treating the symptoms at home if I do. I think the medical system will be too busy for little old me.

Thanks for posting, this is about all I do for social networking. No church lately.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.