Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT-About the coronavirus from a biologist
Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: March 23, 2020 10:31AM

Will microwave or some easy means kill the virus so protective items such as gloves be reused rather than trashed?

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
64 Convertible

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: March 23, 2020 10:41AM

Not usually a great idea, but extraordinary circumstances ...

Soaking in 70% alcohol (ethanol, not isopropanol; and not 100% - more is not better!) for 5-10 minutes is effective. However, some types of gloves can "cryptically" tear (e.g., latex) and not be apparent, so one has to be very careful to test for integrity (does it hold air?). Nitrile gloves tend to disintegrate with even the smallest tear. I'm not sure about other types of gloves, and stability in 70% ethanol should be checked.
Steve

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: March 23, 2020 10:44AM

idiyaught Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will microwave or some easy means kill the virus so protective items such as gloves be reused rather than trashed?

From all the info I have heard or seen, let them sit in your your garage or shed for several days. Anything washable can be put through a washing machine cycle. I am sure someone will correct this if it is mis-information.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: March 23, 2020 10:54AM

A message from a friend of my wife, who is a member of her running walking/group, that she just posted.She is a full time FedEx employee.

Agreed, 100%. With the exception of running with friends, I am self-quarntine-ing for your protection, not mine. FedEx is reckless with this virus. We seem to have a great pattern going of how we meet, how we run keeping a safe distance, both using sanitizer, etc. If you are ordering online. I can not stress this enough. Wipe down your packages first and if possible, open outside of your house and immediately destroy the shipping box. I love and miss you all and I've never been more grateful for each one of you.
XO,

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 23, 2020 02:33PM

Found out Friday night, that I will be laid-off this coming Friday, . . . . . . .
IF the Governor doesn't shut the state down first. eye rolling smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: March 23, 2020 04:06PM

Steve,

I am confused per the comment on this virus does not like heat/dry environments.

I have read that we should run a humidifier to keep the humidity increased in our
normally dry bedroom because a doctor on tv said that when our nasal passages
dry out the virus molecules enter thru our dry nasal tissues "crevices" and a higher humidity may help.

Does this seem to be conflicting information?

Stay well all,

Jimc
1965 Corsa Coupe, two owner history

HACOA Member
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 23, 2020 04:12PM

Decades ago when spraying a preservative that was deadly.

Last line of defence was Vaseline / Mentholatim up the nostrils as a last defense!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: March 23, 2020 04:24PM

Yes, that's true - a dry, irritated respiratory track would be more susceptible to infection. We live in a world of conflicting tradeoffs. Humidify the bedroom but maintain social distancing while you're there.

Hmmm . . . another industry bites the dust?

Steve

Date: March 23, 2020 04:36PM

SteveInMarietta Wrote:
>
> Hmmm . . . another industry bites the dust?
>
> Steve

====================================================

They're most likely, already making Respirators!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: March 23, 2020 05:25PM

I saw so many contradictions in my daily life today. The dollar stores are open and the girl at the cash was one foot away from me but I had a mask on, an N95. And then I went to the electrical supply, and they were delivering your order to the door, and telling you to stand away when they dumped it outside. I'm went to another electrical supply, and the guy said he was rotating his staff, so if one bunch got sick the other ones could take over. But then you think about all the surfaces they touch during the day. And who knows how effectively those are wiped down.

Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: March 23, 2020 05:27PM

I'm supposed to fly to Mexico with my girlfriend on Thursday, and for the second time I called the airline, and they refused to refund me my money. They only offer to exchange my tickets further on in the season. Which is much more expensive. The airline clerk insisted that the airports are safe, which obviously they aren't. But I've gone over this before, but I did call them back again this morning and beg for my money back. So I called my credit card company and disputed the charge

Date: March 23, 2020 06:10PM

SteveInMarietta Wrote:
> Yes, that's true - a dry, irritated respiratory track would be more susceptible to infection. We live in a world of conflicting tradeoffs. Humidify the bedroom but maintain social distancing while you're there.
>
> Hmmm . . . another industry bites the dust?
>
> Steve

My wife is retired RN germaphobe, she has worked in almost every field of nursing. She's been saying the same thing. Keep humidity up in the bed room and low in the rest of the house.

Also, with all this hand washing and getting old, cracked skin is a another way for bugs to enter, however too much moisturizer or lotion can be a place for bacteria and virus to grow. She is using rubber gloves more than ever. Another balance point. Maybe with all this education we can reduce flew deaths which no one seems to be mentioning.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: March 23, 2020 06:26PM

Thanks Steve for the clarification

Jimc
1965 Corsa Coupe, two owner history

HACOA Member
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: March 25, 2020 04:05PM

UGLYTRUK Wrote:
> On a positive note, my girlfriend reports that she's feeling much better this morning, and she's off to the wholesale produce Supply Company, just in case she didn't pick anything up over multiple trips last week

Good job Sugar Daddy. Make sure you tell everyone when you and your woman get it.

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Date: March 25, 2020 04:45PM

I live in the Lehigh Valley ABE area of eastern Pa. We were doing well, and have been holding at less than 10 reported cases and one death. A couple of days my back yard neighbor told me he grounded his daughter from going to a party. They have closed all five , yes five, colleges in the area. Anyway a bunch a kids that just got back from spring break and couldn't get back to there normal college dumbness, so the they decided to throw a big party. Two days later three of them tested positive. Now three days later we are past 70 cases as of this morning. The governor put the Valley on the state shut down list. The news reported most of the new cases as 17 to 40 age group, but no names. Thanks to socialized media, the names of the kids and parents who supported this are leaking out. Someone who had nothing at all to do with this party might die. Three weeks ago I personally thought this was mostly BS, but as I saw the numbers I am taking it seriously and doing what I can to help defeat it. Hell a lot of were drafted or enlisted to help the cause. Just doing it again, but differently.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: March 25, 2020 07:40PM

Starting Monday big changes coming all over. Watch for curfews EVERYWHERE.

Date: March 25, 2020 08:18PM

FLSteve Wrote:
> Starting Monday big changes coming all over. Watch for curfews EVERYWHERE.
================================================================

What would a"curfew" do when we are already supposed to stay at home?"Non- compliers" will remain!

Date: March 25, 2020 08:34PM

Since everyone has an excess of time now, and given the current situation, I have a book recommendation some may find interesting: The Plague/La Peste by Albert Camus.

It's a fictional story chronicling the progression of a plague outbreak in the town of Oran, part of the city of Algiers, in Algeria. It details the early lack of proper response by the people and the government, desperate responses by the towns population. As well as the resulting continually worsening conditions in the quarantined town. You can draw your own parallels to today.

The book is also an interesting read philosophically, since it's full of Camusian existentialism. I interpret it as understanding that life is meaningless in a cold unfair universe, which allows you to create your own specific meaning to life.

Short article about Camusian existentialism

Interesting article I found that talks about The Plague more in depth and even relates it to the current coronavirus outbreak

Nick

Louisville, KY, US

64 Greenbrier

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2020 08:35PM by TimeMachineParadox.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 25, 2020 10:18PM

Some of you guys with all this extra time please send me some. I haven't been out in the shop in a couple of weeks.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: March 26, 2020 08:47AM

Thanks Steve and jjohnsonjo. We use them at the start of our shift to do the ministry walk around on the bus, I figured reusing would keep so extra for those in high risk areas. We get a new pair each day 3000 of us.

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
64 Convertible

Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.