Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
rack and pinion steering
Posted by: craig hall ()
Date: April 14, 2005 10:32PM

has any one tryed to put rack and pinion steering on a 65/69 corvair
if so what parts worked the best and was it worth the time and money
thanks fot your time

Craig Hall
66 corsa V8

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rack and pinion steering
Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: April 14, 2005 11:04PM

There have been a few, and I have been thinking about doing it too, maybe later in the summer. It seems the popular choices are 350Z racks and Mustang II racks...you can make almost anything work, I think its pretty simple once you have the rack mounted. Matt will probably post a pic of his Crown which has a rack from I belive a mid 70's Ford installed in it.

Posted by: Noah ()
Date: April 15, 2005 04:38PM

fastvair guys talk about notching the bottom of the gas tank.
recommend checking the archives there.

Noah
Milwaukee

Posted by: Max Roeder ()
Date: April 15, 2005 09:19PM

I did my conversion using a Mustang II unit from Flaming River. The problem was I had no idea what I needed to look for and eneded up with a system that the rack travel was shorter than I needed for the corvair fast steering arm geometry. I had to shorten the fast arms 3/4" so as the lock to lock travel would match the Mustang unit. Then I had to lengthen the passenger side tie rod and shorten the drivers side tie rod. The steering arms required to be reamed out with a special tapered reamer (7 degrees) so the tie rod ends would match up. And the special bracket was fabricated for mounting that was welded on the cross member. Other than those little issues the project was &*&%$#@(*&)*&!

Posted by: robert whitman ()
Date: February 02, 2006 12:44AM

hey, I down here with my dad on leave putting a 1965 covair front end on a 26 t model,but he wants to put rack and pinion on it.So far you are the only one I've found that has done succesifully.If you can give us any advise it would help alot.

Thanks
rob

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: February 02, 2006 01:54AM

DR Yenko sells a kit, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It's based on a Datsun 280Z rack.

I think a good quick steering box works plenty good enough . Mine is 2.5 turns L to L with quick arms.

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 02, 2006 01:57AM

Robert, it's not that simple.....you'll need to read some books on front suspensions...and most likely you'll want a "rear steer" setup...

I could post a picture...but your "T" is totally different....

Like Max said...you want a Rack with the same amout of total travel as the Vair requires....

And placement [ verticle and front to rear distance compared to the steering arms ] is critical...

Posted by: jimster1 ()
Date: February 02, 2006 08:55AM

Ask Frank Parker over on Virtual Vairs. He has a pretty good description and some pix. It's not a trivial job as the pivots for the tie rods on the rack must be precisely located or the bump steer goes wacko.
Jim B'
'66 turbovert

Posted by: Brent ()
Date: February 02, 2006 02:13PM

I've seen a Corvair with the Pinto/Mustang II power steering rack and pinion that worked pretty well- there was significant mods to the trunk floor needed to make it fit, and the power assist was overkill- the grumpy old man owner had some suspension issues causing hard steering that he wouldnt track down and fix so went overboard correcting it.

I would stick with the factory style box personally, its not bad- the repro fast boxes probably are the best compromise for most people. Fast steering is a very nice option in most Corvairs, particularly on radial ply tires which are sorta mushy feeling compared to the factory bias ply ones.

On a V8 car the power assisted rack might be a nice touch if you go that route-

Brent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.