Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Differential Rebuild - first of many questions
Posted by: 1STLM ()
Date: April 13, 2020 08:30AM

Thanks Ken, much appreciated.

Brice

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible

Bozeman, Montana

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: April 18, 2020 08:19PM

Hey kids,

I hope everyone is safe and sane.

My differential rebuild is going well. I have the carrier and pinion assembled and have gone through the preload procedure per the 66 manual update. I have a couple of questions:

1) I am missing the clutch shaft seal "washer", item 2 in figure 1 in Chapter 4 of the 65 manual. I'm not sure it was there to start with (or maybe it's on the floor of my garage). My question is, is it necessary?

2) After I did the 2-3 notch preload thing on the side bearings and checked the pinion turning torque "baseline", I basically got nothing on my little 0-60 in*lb torque wrench. Is this normal? The pinion preload went fine (set to 10ish in*lbs)

James
65 Corsa

P.S. it's great to see all the activity on this forum. It reminds me that not everything is shut down.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: April 18, 2020 09:10PM

Yes that is important to keep you from tearing up the seal on assembly. It is a really thick split washer. Once everything it together it does nothing.
I guess if you were super careful aligning everything you might be able to get away without it.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: April 19, 2020 01:18PM

What the split washer is, is a seal protector for when you install everything and you move something and put pressure on the seal area you don't bend the seal and have a leak.

Do you need it, As a safety measure, yes.

As far as the preload I like to see a little resistance with just the carrier tight. Go another notch tighter it won't hurt anything and may even be better later down the road.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: April 19, 2020 02:53PM

Don't be scared to put more preload on the pinion or side bearings, even if you have to use a brass punch to turn the adjusters. Start with the pinion bearing. then turn it over many times or with a drill motor. These are the same bearings in the large 10 bolt gm rear end.

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car
1967 Crown V8 under construction
Mike Levine
Cumming Georgia
North of Atlanta

Date: May 03, 2020 12:53AM

Hey everyone. I hope you all are safe and sane.

The differential rebuild is moving along. I've checked the contact pattern. It looks like I need a thinner pinion shim.

With Clark's closed, is there an alternate Corvair vender out there who sells shims?

James
65 Corsa

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 03, 2020 06:23AM

What size do you need? Someone may have an assortment.

Date: May 03, 2020 08:39AM

I neglected to measure the shim when I had it all apart so I have no idea at the moment. I'll disassemble it in the next few days.

I'd like to buy an assortment pack. I suppose I won't need the thickest available since the pattern is telling me to go thinner.

James
65 Corsa

Date: May 04, 2020 10:00AM

I am trying to answer my own questions here. Summit Racing claims these pinion shims fit the Corvair. Can anyone confirm the ID/OD required?

[www.summitracing.com]

[www.summitracing.com]

James
65 Corsa

Date: May 04, 2020 01:43PM

James, I have a brand new, unused Clarks shim kit at home. I can measure those tonight and get back to you.

Brice

Bozeman, Montana

Date: May 04, 2020 04:55PM

The Clarks kit shims have an ID=1.357 - 1.3585. The OD=1.8475. The kit includes one of each: .006, .008, .0105, .015 and .018.

Brice

Bozeman, Montana

Date: May 04, 2020 05:59PM

Brice,

Thank you. This allows me to order shims prior to disassembly without guessing (assuming I can find the right shims).

James
65 Corsa

Date: May 04, 2020 07:45PM

James, you're welcome. I will be putting my own diff together soon and have benefited from your post here. So, thanks to you and all who have responded. I am looking forward to a quiet drive train when through!

Brice

Bozeman, Montana

Date: May 04, 2020 08:37PM

Brice,

I hope your rebuild goes well. I thought I was doing pretty good until I checked the contact pattern. I'm not sure my little thin jaw puller can get the pinion bearing off in one piece.

Speaking of the pinion bearing, there is a post on the radius issue for pinion bearing M88048A. Its for real. Rock Auto has this bearing even though it is not listed for the Corvair. They list the M88048 for both ends of the pinion.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw out some tid-bits of trivia I've gleaned so far.

James
65 Corsa

Date: May 04, 2020 09:06PM

I bought National bearings from Ca. Corvairs and was assured the radius would not be a problem. In fact, I bought three and had one honed for a slip fit to ease the process of reshiming. That may be something to consider. I wonder if removing your bearing may lead to some damage. Harbor Freight may have a clamshell type bearing puller that would clamp between the core and the pinion gear. If you destroy it you could buy a replacement National from Ca. Corvairs and use my honed bearing.

Brice

Bozeman, Montana

Date: May 23, 2020 10:50AM

Hey Kids!

I hope everyone is safe and sane. Here in the Bay Area, we are heading into a heat wave, 100+ temps by Tuesday...but its a dry heat (I know, we are wimps).

I think my differential rebuild is done. The issue I had with the pinion depth turned out to be an error on my part; I did not fully seat the bearing cup/cone/race in the front of the housing. Once fully seated, I got the gear contact patterns in the attached photos.

Let me know what you think. Don't hold back. Marriage has whipped my ego into shape.

I also attached a snap shot of the special tools I used. I was able to do everything in my garage without a press. Of course, if I had a press, I probably wouldn't have had the pinion depth issue.

Anyway, I hope you all are enjoying the weekend.

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Attachments:

Date: May 23, 2020 10:53AM

I forgot to mention, the back lash is .015". This is a little big according to the manual but I think I'll have to live with it.

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 23, 2020 12:19PM

That looks good. You can't fix the backlash without messing up the pattern.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Date: September 17, 2020 01:37PM

Update:

The transaxle went into my Corsa OK. It took 4 days! (My wife was not pleased)

It shifts well, though going into 1st gear while rolling is a little crunchy (not horrible)

There is some gear noise coming into the car. I am not sure if it is any better or worse than when new. The "horse collar" has polyurethane body bushings so that might be a contributing factor.

One thing that was a little disconcerting was the drag on the clutch. Man alive, it took about 100 miles before I could get it in and out of gear while stopped and idling. (The work around was to start in gear with the clutch in)

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.