Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Upgraded to Clark Corvair's 65 amp alternator
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: March 07, 2020 11:34AM

with built in, internal voltage regulator.

Clear instructions, an easy swap, everything bolted right up, the external voltage regulator adapter easily snapped into place....even for fumble fingers "Mr. Badwrench" (me). My mangled knees and akin' lower back held out to do all this in one session.

They sent me a refund check of $125.00 for my core within 3 days' time.

My local parts store verified it's 14.5 volts output and 65 amps output charging power.

With the A/C on high, both electric condenser cooing fans running, high beam headlights on, lowering & raising the power top, smooth operation! None of the rough curb idle I had before with a heavy electrical load.

Three days later, after lower body recovery, I also swapped out the crispy, brittle, heat soaked engine compartment wiring harness with the one from Clark's. Again, everything matched up perfectly, no guess work involved. The only issue I had was getting the tight fitting tail light bulb sockets to properly mate into the housings.

[www.corvair.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Upgraded to Clark Corvair's 65 amp alternator
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 07, 2020 11:49AM

Very nice. Is the chrome one sold by California Corvairs the same specs?

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 07, 2020 12:23PM

California Corvairs

non-chrome 65 amps $180
chrome 100 amps $280.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: vairygood ()
Date: March 07, 2020 05:12PM

I had mine upgraded to 105 amp.have no problems

Buster Tindel
Gulfport Mississippi

65 Corsa 140 4 speed

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 07, 2020 05:44PM

rnch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Three days later, after lower body recovery, I also swapped out the crispy, brittle, heat soaked engine compartment wiring harness with the one from Clark's. Again, everything matched up perfectly, no guess work involved. The only issue I had was getting the tight fitting tail light bulb sockets to properly mate into the housings.
>
>
> [www.corvair.com]

If it's the M&H harness the light sockets will fit tight. I've been to M&H a few times for custom work and mentioned to them the LM FLAPS sockets fall out of the Corvair sockets, yet the M&H LM sockets stay in place.

The manager told me they found the same issue many years ago and now they have the socket manufacturer make up "special" runs for M&H with heavier gauge metal for the socket tabs. NO don't ask M&H to sell the sockets separately, they won't as they have to special order them for the harnesses they make.
BTW - put a little di-electric grease on the tabs and they go in much easier and it prevents corrosion.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: March 07, 2020 05:59PM

I have the same problem with my 66 Monza engine harness I got from Clark's in February last year. Rick has the issue on 65 Corsa harness he got mid last year. So it is a socket issue that is going on. Maybe the new sockets aren't on the harnesses Clark's has in stock.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 07, 2020 06:10PM

M&H has been using the heavier gauge metal tabs for at least a decade, so nothing new.

The di-electric grease makes installing them fairly easy.

I'd rather have the "stiffer" tab units because the lamp sockets DO NOT fall out of the housings like the cheapy FLAPS replacements do.

If the Clark's harnesses do NOT have the M&H labeling, then maybe Clark's went to another supplier and there is another issue.

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: March 08, 2020 06:43AM

If you want to do the conversion on the cheap buy a 63 amp rebuilt alternator from your local parts store.About 40.00 in tn.I bought one for a 1977 Impala with factory air to get the higher amp rating.Put the Corvair front mount on the new alternator after taking the new front bearing out of the new alternator and transferring it to the Corvair end frame.A 2.00 wiring plug from the parts store will plug in to the internal regulator spades.You will have to slightly rework the rear alternator brace to line up with the new rear case.Put the leftover alternator parts back together and return your core to get credit.Only special tool needed is a paper clip straightened out to hold the brushes released while you put the 2 halves back together.Wiring is simple as other posts here have provided details for that.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 08, 2020 11:55AM

I know I'm going to have to replace my wiring harness eventually, how much is it? In the meantime, I just went ahead and superglued the sockets into place. After putting in some brand-new LEDs.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 08, 2020 09:29PM

I've just bent the OEM socket tabs to fit tighter into the housing. Not an issue.

What is an issue, is the steel tabs/lamp holder falling out of the plastic socket!

To "fix" that, I put a small #4 sheet metal screw into the plastic socket to hold the steel lamp holder. New harness is the correct fix.....grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: March 09, 2020 08:11AM

The mangled knees and awkward wrist angle pain is about gone.

Prolly the only time I will have to address these repairs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.