Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Re: '66 Corvair Power Issues
Posted by: '66Corvair ()
Date: May 22, 2020 07:56PM

Okay, been a while since I've last posted here with an update... I have a few updates along with a few more questions. I ended up taking the 'Vair on a road trip to VT. Thankfully, she made the almost 1,000 mile round trip successfully.

Okay, now the updates:
1. She ran beautifully pretty much the entire way to VT, aside from a flat spot developing in the accelerator pedal on the way up there that's remained since...

2. The thing I foolishly had thought was an exhaust return turned out to be part of the PCV system, as Joelsplace pointed out. I pulled it apart for a cleaning, and the orifice that sends a portion of the PCV fumes into the balancing tube was completely clogged up. Cleaned that out and she's running a tad nicer. A lot less fumes coming out of the vent in the air filter now.

3. A buddy and I pulled both carbs this past week. Those float bowls had a decent amount of crap in them. We cleaned them out with carb cleaner, replaced the jets, replaced the accelerator pumps, as well as the gaskets. So far, the intermittent power issue has not returned. However, even with the new pumps, the flat spot has remained, albeit it's a much smaller one than before the rebuild. Any ideas?

4. I don't have a proper synchronizing gauge yet, so we tuned the carbs as well as we could until one comes in the mail (maybe the reason for the flat spot?). When it does, I'd like to do a full tuneup. Any spark plug recommendations? It's a '66 Corvair 500 baseline model with the two speed powerglide.

Thanks again for all of the help! I'm really enjoying my Corvair; by far one of the best purchases I've ever made. She's truly a joy to drive!

Date: May 22, 2020 08:04PM

Forgot to mention, I also decided to replace the fuel pump (that was the first thing I did of the above) just to be on the safe side. I figured it would be an easy thing to try, and if nothing else, I'd have a spare to keep in my toolkit, which I understand is a good idea...

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 22, 2020 09:03PM

NGK BR6HS or if it burns some oil BR5HS.
You need to check the fuel pressure. It is probably way too high assuming you are using a mechanical pump.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: May 22, 2020 09:29PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. However, my family handyman/mechanic who is going to give me a hand with my fist tuneup does, so that's something we can check when we tune her up! Thank you for pointing that out, Joelsplace. I believe about 5psi is normal pressure?

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 22, 2020 09:33PM

5 is probably maximum you want. I've seen new ones make over 10. You have to cut the spring to get the pressure down.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.