Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'66 Corvair Power Issues
Posted by: '66Corvair ()
Date: February 26, 2020 05:42AM

Hi all, this is my first post here. I purchased a nice '66 Corvair 4-door a few weeks ago. After driving her around for a few days, I began to have a power issue. Basically, the car doesn't want to accelerate. The issue just comes and goes somewhat randomly. It accelerates okay down hills, but on flat grades or uphill, it really struggles. Has the two-speed powerglide tranny. Any ideas as to what could be going on? Anyone have a similar experience?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: '66 Corvair Power Issues
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 26, 2020 06:13AM

Accelerator pumps leaking? Maybe carbs need syncing or rebuilding. Where are located? Someone close may be able to help out.

What have you done in regards to plugs, plug wires, points, condenser, wires, timing, carbs since you got it?

What fuel pump, electric or mechanical?

What engine 95, 110 140 or 180 hp?

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: February 26, 2020 06:28AM

I'm located about a half hour north of Pittsburgh. I've got the basic 95hp engine. Pretty much the only thing I've tried so far is putting some seafoam in the gas tank. I haven't really done anything else. When she runs nice, she runs quite nice. Very peppy.

Usually the issue starts within the first five or so minutes of driving, and then resolves within another five or so minutes of driving, and the engine's usual peppiness returns. It doesn't happen every time - in the two weeks I've owned the car, the issue has only occurred on maybe 5 days (I've been driving it daily).
I did take the air filter assembly off. With a hand over the passenger side carb, the engine dies. With a hand over the driver side carb, it bogs down slightly, but keeps running quite steadily. This is at idle. Given throttle, a hand over either carb causes it to die.

I believe the car still has its original fuel pump.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 26, 2020 07:43AM

Welcome to the CF.

"With a hand over the driver side carb, it bogs down slightly, but keeps running quite steadily. This is at idle"

That's your problem! Take it off / take it apart... and blow out ALL passages..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 26, 2020 07:53AM

Thanks; will give that a try! Supposed to get some nasty weather here over the next few days, so she'll be off the road anyway.

I've never taken apart more than a simple two-stroke motor carb before. Anything I should know before disassembly? Will I need to re-tune it upon reassembly, or should it be good to go?

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 26, 2020 07:53AM

Take a close look at the bronze in carb filters as well.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: February 26, 2020 07:55AM

That was one of the first things I checked. I pulled the one on the drivers side carb (the carb that had little effect on idle with the airflow blocked) and it was clean.

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: February 26, 2020 10:17AM

How about the fuel strainer in the tank.

You drive, and the gas sloshes [sic] around and crud in the tank starves the fuel supply. Just my .02 cents

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: February 26, 2020 02:45PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welcome to the CF.
>
> "With a hand over the driver side carb, it bogs down slightly, but keeps running quite steadily. This is at idle"
>
> That's your problem! Take it off / take it apart... and blow out ALL passages..

This is almost certainly the answer. The passenger side carb has issues. Debris inside likely blocking jet or passages and is not working 100%. Sometimes it is likely not working at all when the car acts up...these engines run ok on 1 carb running one side of the engine they just do not have any power when this happens. I would get 2 carb kits and using the factory shop manual remove disassemble, inspect, clean, adjust, and reassemble both carbs (rebuild). Once both are setup right I bet it will run much better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: March 01, 2020 08:16PM

Thank you all for your advice!

A mechanic friend noticed a bit of gasoline leaking out of one of my carbs. The screws that hold the top on the carb were quite loose on the drivers side - the carb where holding my hand over the air intake would not cause the engine to stall. After tightening them, the the Corvair seems idling much smoother, and just a bit peppier overall. Think this could be the answer to my issue?

I'm planning to continue driving around like normal, and seeing if the issue comes up again...

Just washed & waxed her up today:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: March 01, 2020 09:52PM

Beautiful car! thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: March 02, 2020 05:37AM

'66Corvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The screws that hold the top on the carb were quite loose on the drivers side - the carb where holding my hand over the air intake would not cause the engine to stall. After tightening them, the the Corvair seems idling much smoother.

What was the result of holding the palm of your hand over the left carb. at idle after tightening the screws?

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 02, 2020 06:03AM

I might guess some crap in the carburetor bowl. Sometimes a small particle can come and go from the main jet. Lots of times I just remove them to the bench and remove the tops for a quick cleaning and accelerator pump cup if it needs it. Bowl gasket only if it tears coming apart, it's supposed to stay with the top when seperating.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 02, 2020 08:41AM

Not sure yet whether the engine dies with putting my hand over the carb after tightening. Will try & see what happens if I get a chance to take the air filter assembly back off tonight.

Quick question about the air filter. The previous owner had the air filter lid flipped. He said it was to increase airflow to the engine. Any real benefit to this? I'd imagine it would take longer to warm up on cold days, as the exhaust return wouldn't be captured by the lid and pushed down into the carbs with the fresh air, correct?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 02, 2020 10:49AM

Corvair have no "preheat" on the air filter housing... Post a pic please!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: lesliecorvair ()
Date: March 04, 2020 02:07PM

If it were mine , as long as points , rotor, cap , wires have been carefully examined I would suspect carburetors - Check the filters in the carb first , this can cause intermittent problems - then remove carbs, completely clean and blow out passages , install new accelerator pumps and gaskets if you can , then reassemble - these are pretty simple carbs and easy to work on - after all back on make sure each carb has a good healthy squirt from accelerator pumps when throttle is pushed - problem doesn't, sound serious , especially since it comes and goes - also sync carbs and adjust per manual if you can, a long time owner can help with this - good luck

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: March 05, 2020 09:23AM

I know mine is the single carb version, but I can attest to loose Nuts and Bolts being a big issue for performance. Until I discovered the issue and could figure out a way to lock it down, the screw that held the throttle on the carburetor kept loosening, every time it did the performance of the car would plummet.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: March 08, 2020 09:57PM

It's been a busy week, and I haven't had much time to work on the 'Vair. I did take the kick panels off today to clean the cavity behind them out - I understand that leaves, etc. builds up in there and causes problems.

Anyhow, in the last week of driving, I haven't had any issues, and that's probably around 200 miles of driving. I think I'll hold off on taking apart the carburetors for the time being, but if she starts acting up again, that will be my first course of action.

MattNall, this is what I was referring to:

I thought that black hose line was supposed to return warm air from the exhaust into the air filter to bring warm air into the carbs and engine to speed the warming process on cold days - the air filter is noticeably dirtier above where that small line lets out, which I assumed was from exhaust. You know what they say about assuming, thoughgrinning smiley

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 08, 2020 10:29PM

No cars dump exhaust into the intake for heating. Newer cars dump exhaust into the intake for cooling (EGR)
You are looking at the crankcase vent.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: March 09, 2020 09:02AM

Ahh, okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.