Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Anyone know about this car?
Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: February 24, 2020 12:33PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone know about this car?
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: February 24, 2020 02:17PM

Looks pretty nice!

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 24, 2020 03:06PM

Make sure and check what the FEES / Surcharges are.... We've heard quite a high percentage of the lower priced vehicles

Attachments:
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 25, 2020 04:34AM

For future searchers...

VIN = 105376L104037 showing 3052 miles at time of auction. 110/PG

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2020 04:35AM by azdave.

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: February 25, 2020 05:49AM

Yea, I tried the Copart thing. I caution anyone thinking of buying. If you can’t see the car in person don’t go by the inspection report or the pictures. The fees are outrageous if you don’t have a dealer license and a business acct. storage fees are compounded daily including weekends.
I bid on a car that didn’t meet the sellers reserve. It went 2 weeks before they decided to let it go. I couldn’t cancel the bid and it was released to me 2 weeks after the sale. Couldn’t get for 2 weeks due to my schedule and when I did get it the runs and drives description was false. Engine had a jumped timing belt. The insurance companies get enough of my money already! The whole process reminded me of the movie Used Cars starring Kurt Russel and Jack Warden.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1988 Citroen CX 25 GTI Turbo

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: February 25, 2020 06:40AM

I did know most of that with copart, just wondering if anyone here knew about the car before listed!

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 25, 2020 09:13AM

I do not know this car Mark. But if I was 3 hours away I would be tempted to go up and try to buy it (after a closer inspection). Don't forget to bring your car trailer. Everything mentioned about co p is true. And then some.

Posted by: NapaVair ()
Date: February 25, 2020 10:54AM

The VIN plate contains the delivery date, very cool. I have note seen that before. I believe it is stamped by the dealer, most dealers did not bother I assume.

Eric
Napa, CA

1961 Lakewood
1963 Monza Cvt.
1964 Spyder Cpe.
1964 Spyder Sprint Cvt.
1966 Corsa 140 Cvt.
1966 Corsa Sprint 180 Cpe.
1973 Lotus Europa TC Special
1978 Porsche 911 SC Targa

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: February 25, 2020 12:37PM

Wow! I had to dig out my title, thought I was seeing things. My '66 LA Monza has the same numbers, just about a thousand cars before this one. Thanks for the warning about CoPart, I would have been seriously tempted to bid, even half a country away.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 25, 2020 03:04PM

Most likely Mark has a friend with at least a "wholesaler" license... eliminates a lot... Then a friend with a "retailers" license...who can run it across their books and it's a good deal for both.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Goop Of Oil ()
Date: February 25, 2020 07:55PM

I searched "air cleaner" on eBay and now see what should be in those A.I.R. ports in the air cleaner crossover on this LA build car.

Mark Holmlund

Attachments:

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 25, 2020 08:21PM

"Where built" doesn't matter for smog systems. "Where destined" is what counts. In 1966, almost all Corvairs built for delivery in California had the "Generation 1" smog-pump system. (A/C cars and Turbos were exempt). There was a specific option code for California Smog. As far as I know, this applied whether built at LA or Willow Run. My 66 A/C Corsa - no pump - was built at Willow run, but delivered in California.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 26, 2020 09:13AM

Anyone know what became of this car? How much did it sell for? Who bought it? Where it went to?

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: March 26, 2020 01:31PM

"The whole process reminded me of the movie Used Cars starring Kurt Russel and Jack Warden."

"Watch Out Marshall Lucky..., It's HIGH Prices!"

I have never made a CoPart purchase but I did do the math. When I factored all the fees I might as well have bought Craigslist Crap instead. I believe they even have a drawn out bid process where if someone bids within a certain time of the end that the bidding get extended. Crazy. Why even bother with an end time.

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: March 26, 2020 02:12PM

The buying and selling of salvage vehicles is a different business than regular second-hand cars and truck dealings. It has changed dramatically since the introduction of on-line auction sales and companies like Copart and I.A.A. The goal is to maximize the return to the insurance companies and/or the private dealers/wholesalers who consign their assets to these companies. The fee structure tends to favor the higher end vehicles. Example: If you are buying a $500 Chevy Cavalier as opposed to a $20,000 flood Corvette the add-on of fees would be harder to justify as a part of the total cost structure. Trying to find a real bargain is harder if the title is "clean" and the general public can get in on the action. I used to enjoy the salvage biz, but not any longer. And I don't think I ever bought a Corvair at a salvage auction. - CP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.