Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
FS 1965 Corsa Turbo - Loaded with Options $29k
Posted by: NapaVair ()
Date: February 20, 2020 08:20PM

Not mine...check out this nice Corsa FS. Does anybody know this car? Looks like it has 66 headrests installed.

[www.motorcarstudio.com]

Eric
Napa, CA

1961 Lakewood
1963 Monza Cvt.
1964 Spyder Cpe.
1964 Spyder Sprint Cvt.
1966 Corsa 140 Cvt.
1966 Corsa Sprint 180 Cpe.
1973 Lotus Europa TC Special
1978 Porsche 911 SC Targa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FS 1965 Corsa Turbo - Loaded with Options $29k
Posted by: NapaVair ()
Date: February 20, 2020 09:06PM

Matt,
The car on BAT is a 66 turbo, also very nice. I wonnder what the final BAT bid will be, any guesses? Maybe $19k?

[bringatrailer.com]

Eric
Napa, CA

1961 Lakewood
1963 Monza Cvt.
1964 Spyder Cpe.
1964 Spyder Sprint Cvt.
1966 Corsa 140 Cvt.
1966 Corsa Sprint 180 Cpe.
1973 Lotus Europa TC Special
1978 Porsche 911 SC Targa

Posted by: REM654DPG ()
Date: February 20, 2020 09:48PM

That 65 turbo is Duanne Luckow's from Portland Oregon and it's worth more than the asking price. No rust, almost every available option and NOS everything was used on the restoration. I know it's a ragtop but too bad someone put the top down and wrinkled it all up. His blue 65 coupe is on the east coast somewhere too.

Regan Metcalf
Portland, OR

Posted by: billh1963 ()
Date: February 21, 2020 03:17AM

REM654DPG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That 65 turbo is Duanne Luckow's from Portland Oregon and it's worth more than the asking price. No rust, almost every available option and NOS everything was used on the restoration. I know it's a ragtop but too bad someone put the top down and wrinkled it all up. His blue 65 coupe is on the east coast somewhere too.

I have Duanne's 65 Corsa 140 coupe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
1964 Monza Coupe Bahama Green
1965 Monza 140 Corvette Yellow metal flake (Canadian Corsa Clone)
1965 Corsa 140 Mist Blue (WRN)
1965 Corsa 140 Mist Blue (LOS)
1965 Corsa 140 Crocus Yellow
1966 Corsa 140 Marina Blue project
1966 Corsa 140 Convertible Ermine White (Project or Parts)
1966 Monza 140 Convertible Lemonwood Yellow (Project or Parts)
1969 Monza 110-PG Dover White
Right in the middle of South Carolina

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: February 21, 2020 07:50AM

Pretty sure that 66 is Don Waddel's old car (CORSA past president). I ogled that car at Palm Springs back in the '80's, but then he sold it and it dissappeared. Until now!

Hope it finds a new home with an owner who will enjoy it!

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 21, 2020 07:12PM

REM654DPG Wrote:
> That 65 turbo is Duanne Luckow's from Portland Oregon and it's worth more than the asking price. No rust, almost every available option and NOS everything was used on the restoration. I know it's a ragtop but too bad someone put the top down and wrinkled it all up. His blue 65 coupe is on the east coast somewhere too.

I really don't know why people make such a fuss about wrinkles in a soft-top. confused smiley
Like the fellow we both know with a gorgeous '69? grinning smiley
If you ain't gonna put the top down, then why even own a Convertible? eye rolling smiley
Seriously, I have left mine down for entire summers before, and yes when it was put back up it had wrinkles.
BUT, after only ONE Sunny day (rare in PDX, I know) every single wrinkle disappears!
The only thing this seller did wrong, is that they should have let it sit out in the sun with the top up BEFORE taking their pictures.
THEN, they should have taken the top-up pictures first, followed by the top-down pictures.
Bingo, Bango, Bongo!
Beautiful shots of a Beautiful car, and no complaints about top-down wrinkles. smileys with beer

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: REM654DPG ()
Date: February 21, 2020 08:35PM

Hey Mel, I like the red letter quote. I know I know, it's a convertible and the top was made to come down. I definitely cycled mine when I owned my 65 convertible but it was an older top in nice condition.

I guess my fuss was due to the fact that this was/is a high 90s senior division Concours car when it belonged to Duanne and was judged at the nationals when it had a new top. I think you may loose points for wrinkles but I'm not sure. And he always drove his cars to all the events too. I remember Duanne talking about how much time, money and effort it took him to get that top to fit perfect like it did and that he would never put it down just because. I guess it's cool though that the current owner has been driving it in the sun with the top down being that it's his car and all now. I got to drive this car a few times after I built the engine for it and it was like stepping back in time into a brand new Corvair - actually nicer. I was almost afraid to touch anything inside as it was all NOS and new - smell and all.

Anyway, it's still a worthy car for the asking price in my opinion and I'm glad to see it's being well taken care of. Now go put your top down and get some sunburn brother.

Regan Metcalf
Portland, OR

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 21, 2020 09:02PM

thumbs upthumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: stempleton ()
Date: February 22, 2020 06:12AM

Regan,

Thank you for your comments on the ‘65 Turbo that you played a hand in restoring. I had some non-specific information about the engine rebuild- ?upraded cam, ?pistons. Do you remember or have any records regarding how you rebuilt this engine. I’d love to keep as much history together with the car as it goes to a new owner. I’ve really enjoyed this awesome car for the past 9 years.

Yes, I have had the top up and down many times and enjoyed every minute of it smiling smiley I even trailered it down the the Gulf coast on our family vacation and took daily and nightly runs over the causeway from St. George Island to Appalachicola- everyone loved it. I will verify someone’s comment about the wrinkles improving significantly after some time in the warm sun. Unfortunately the photos were taken on a cold day in Atlanta, so they are more apparent.

Let me know if you have any info on the engine rebuild. You can post here or email me: stephentempleton@mac.com

Thanks!

Stephen

Date: February 22, 2020 07:38AM

I'm curious about the multiplex in the 65. I have a (formerly) NOS unit in my 65 Corsa and the blank off plate for fader looks like one of the other knobs. This one looks different - as if someone made the multiplex into a 65 unit by starting with a 66 unit and removing the fader control. But the labels under the knobs appear correct. Strange...I'm sure it works well regardless.

Date: February 22, 2020 10:44AM

@flat_six:
This is my car (until a new owner comes around!) Yes, as I understand it the stereo multiplex unit in the car was a ‘66 unit not available until then. I believe when Duanne restored the car he added as many interesting and unusual options that were available in ‘65 and ‘66. As someone has already mentioned, the headrests are a ‘66 item not present in ‘65. The stereo unit works great.
Thanks,
Stephen

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 22, 2020 01:52PM

stempleton Wrote:

) I even trailered it down the the Gulf coast on our family vacation and took daily and nightly runs over the causeway from St. George Island to Appalachicola- everyone loved it.
> Stephen

Hmmm!, hope you love oysters as much as I do.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: February 22, 2020 03:09PM

stempleton Wrote:
> @flat_six:
> This is my car (until a new owner comes around!) Yes, as I understand it the stereo multiplex unit in the car was a ‘66 unit not available until then. I believe when Duanne restored the car he added as many interesting and unusual options that were available in ‘65 and ‘66. As someone has already mentioned, the headrests are a ‘66 item not present in ‘65. The stereo unit works great.
> Thanks,
> Stephen

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes there was a multiplex available in 1965 for Corvair. It only used two speakers, one in the normal dash location, and one in back. Thus the reason for no fader control. Original 65 Corvair multiplex units are VERY rare. So it does make sense that Duane may have created a 65 style multiplex starting with a 66 4 knob unit.

So what you have there is actually a correct configuration for a 65.

Beautiful car by the way. Agree that it would be worth every penny of asking price.

Date: February 24, 2020 01:31PM

@flat_six
Thanks so much for your input!
Stephen

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 24, 2020 04:34PM

As I recall Duanne L.'s 65 Corsa Coupe (blue) also had headrests (which were never available from Chev. on any 65).

Posted by: billh1963 ()
Date: February 25, 2020 03:05AM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
> As I recall Duanne L.'s 65 Corsa Coupe (blue) also had headrests (which were never available from Chev. on any 65).

That is correct...the car does have head rests

------------------------------------------------------------------------
1964 Monza Coupe Bahama Green
1965 Monza 140 Corvette Yellow metal flake (Canadian Corsa Clone)
1965 Corsa 140 Mist Blue (WRN)
1965 Corsa 140 Mist Blue (LOS)
1965 Corsa 140 Crocus Yellow
1966 Corsa 140 Marina Blue project
1966 Corsa 140 Convertible Ermine White (Project or Parts)
1966 Monza 140 Convertible Lemonwood Yellow (Project or Parts)
1969 Monza 110-PG Dover White
Right in the middle of South Carolina

Date: February 26, 2020 07:47AM

@jjohnsonjo

Yes indeed, we always have a good batch of Appalachicola Bay oysters when we go down there. I remember one time boating around in the bay several years ago with someone who knew where the best oyster bars were (underwater, not restaurants!). We stopped right there in the middle of the bay, pulled up some fresh oysters, popped them open and ate them right there on the water with saltines and hot sauce. Quite different from the chilled oysters on the half shell experience, but fun!

Posted by: edconnolly ()
Date: February 26, 2020 09:05AM

See the second episode of the superb TV documentary series What's Eating America"...
"Our climate change episode—within a short number of days, internally, I started calling it our climate crisis episode. I went down to Apalachicola, Florida. Apalachicola is a small town on the Gulf. For generations, 10 percent of the oyster harvest in America came from Apalachicola Bay. It’s a staggering number.

We went out to the most productive oyster reef in Apalachicola Bay, a place where for generations they didn’t even bother to put oysters into weighted totes—bags of 10, 20 or 50 pounds. They just filled boats until the gunnels were touching the water and then putt-putted back to the processing house. That’s how many oysters; they would wheelbarrow them off these boats.

The number of wild oysters in Apalachicola Bay now, is zero. Not 1 percent or 2 percent. I’m talking about 0 percent. There are no more wild oysters in Apalachicola Bay. The reason is very simple: climate crisis. The water in Apalachicola Bay is a mix of salty and fresh. That’s where oysters live, estuarial waters. If oysters are in a body of water that’s too salty, predators can come in, certain types of fish and other animals that can actually crush the shells of young oysters. The salinity has decreased so severely in Apalachicola Bay because there’s so little rain there that there is now too much salt in the water, too many predators, no more oysters.

So you see in a town like Apalachicola Bay, not only has a very large fishery disappeared, but what were 70 or 80 oyster houses that lined the bay, that were always processing oysters, now are nonexistent. The tourists that used to go down there, the stores that used to stay open, the economic tax base in that city went down dramatically. A lot of stores are closing on Main Street. A lot of families are out of work. A lot of Americans are really hurting."

Date: February 26, 2020 10:05AM

Apologies for getting us off topic... Still a great place to drive a Corvair!

Stephen

Date: February 26, 2020 10:05AM

Apologies for getting us off topic... Still a great place to drive a Corvair!

Stephen

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.