Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
New Member says "Hi!"
Posted by: thelegend0210 ()
Date: February 19, 2020 02:49PM

Hi folks, just joined cause I'm hoping to get some information from you guys. I came across an ad locally for a 1966 Chevy Corvair and it seems like it's a really good deal, at least to me with my limited knowledge of these cars. It's in fair-good shape, with a rebuilt engine and some minor mechanical needs. The response I got gave me a number to call to speak to the owner. which the ad states is motivated to sell. This one is a hard top 4 door with 170000kms. Just wondering if it is actually a good deal at it's asking price of $2300CAD.
Also, what are some things I should be aware of if I go look at this car?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2020 12:51PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hi
Posted by: Ron in Indy ()
Date: February 19, 2020 03:22PM

Welcome to CCF. Obviously, when it comes to value, condition is everything. I thought this was a great place to start. [autoxer.skiblack.com]
If you decide to check it out in person, you may want to bring along someone who is familiar with these cars, if possible. You can also get a rough idea about values by looking on ebay or similar sites for completed auctions for similar condition cars.
Good luck,
Ron in Indy (FL)

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 19, 2020 03:55PM

Welcome to CCF from snowy Colorado. There is a checklist in the 'stickies' FAQ heading at the top of the page.

You should give your location, someone here may be close to you and either offer to help or may know the car already. Also you can search out a local club near you by looking at www.corvair.org that is CORSA website (national club)

If there is a local club near you it might help if you join the club before you buy a car too. Local club members know where the good cars are and again will offer to help you. Many times buying the first car you see is something regrettable later too. Good luck whatever choices you make.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: February 19, 2020 04:27PM

Thanks for the info guys, I am in Edmonton Canada if anyone happens to be nearby.

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: February 19, 2020 04:41PM

Hi fellow Canadian, I am in Edmonton as well and have three Corvairs and give some pointers if you like. PM me and we can get together.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Date: February 20, 2020 12:17PM

So I chatted with the owner, and it sounds like it runs fine with the only big mechanical issue being the brakes need to be redone, he said that when driving it you have to really push on them to get them to work, and it's not registered for that reason. The leather seats need some work and there is some minor rust spots that need attention.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 20, 2020 12:50PM

If / when you get the car.... dismantle all four wheel cylinders... You'll have a total of 8 pistons... bet 6-7 are frozen in place... knock them out with a dowel and clean / polish and put new cups in them.

We've had several members here report that finding, after driving the cars for years!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.