Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Disk brakes for an FC?
Date: February 18, 2020 05:43PM

I've been doing some thinking about how I'd go about adding disk brakes to my GB. What I've gathered so far is that there's essentially two ways to do this:

1) Change over a steering knuckle/spindle that mounts disk brakes

2) Mount an adapter plate to hold a caliper

I'm aware of the 55-64 chevy disk brake kit from speedway that addresses (2). But since I'm cheap and effort/time costs very little to me I was wondering if there's some more info about (1). I haven't been able to find much substantial about that topic, especially for FCs. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places ¯\_(?)_/¯.

Here's my main big questions:

To get a knuckle are there known cars that are mostly cross compatible? (minor modifications are a non-issue) My local scrap yards have a couple mid 70s GM cars with disk brakes, would one of those work?

Has anyone done disk brakes on the rear? Is it theoretically as simple as making an adapter plate or are there extra issues with how the axle is?

Nick

Louisville, KY, US

64 Greenbrier

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Disk brakes for an FC?
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 18, 2020 07:02PM

I always thought it would be a good time to install drop spindles and lower the front.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: February 18, 2020 07:14PM

Don't waste time making your own kit.I have installed 2 of their kits on my fc's and 3 years later no issues.Like 250 bucks on sale and sometimes free shipping.You will need a master cylinder and some lines.Easy to do.I used a 1975 chevy nova manual disc brake master(25 bucks or so at the zone).I have not seen the need for a proportioning valve either.The steering knuckles end up in a slightly different place so I bought some different tie rod sleeves from summit to make up the difference.I bought the aluminum ones with the jam nuts like a modern car.Makes alignment much easier.I think the sleeves and jam nuts for both sides were about 30 bucks.It's nice to know that you have good brakes in an emergency.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 19, 2020 04:20AM

Unless you want to do disc brakes for aesthetics there is no real need for them.
If you want to lower the front I have a spring kit, while not cheap, will lower 2" and make the front ride like a Cadillac.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 19, 2020 05:27AM

I installed a Clarks kit in a Rampside for a customer. He purchased the recommended parts locally. I'm not sure how much it all cost. It took a little grinding and massaging but not too bad, probably Chinese parts that would need some fitting on the intended vehicle too. The brackets and such that Clarks supplied were good and the instructions were good. He had to get some different 14" steel wheels as the FC ones wouldn't fit. I seem to remember the banjo hoses being a tad short of perfect but okay, the next longer ones were a lot longer.

I'm not much for front only disc brakes on a car but the FC has more favorable weight distribution. FC brakes when hauling a load may be found wanting.

I need to try one of those spring kits.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: February 19, 2020 06:16AM

I forgot but the stock 14" fc rims do not work with the speedway kit.I found some used 14" nova steel rally rims and they fit over the calipers fine.My stock 3 prong wire covers fit the nova wheels too.Make sure your spare is a nova wheel too.

Date: February 19, 2020 07:13AM

My reasons for wanting disks are somewhat arbitrary, for one I'd enjoy the increased braking performance from a safety standpoint. But mainly it's just that I want to do it and would enjoy the challenge of doing so.

As absurd as it may sound, 250 is still too high for me at the moment, I'm essentially looking to source most of this from junkyards or part-outs.

I saw somewhere that it's possible to use camaro knuckles if you bore out the bushing hole. Does anyone have more information on that?

Nick

Louisville, KY, US

64 Greenbrier

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 19, 2020 09:00AM

Here's a handy reference before you hit the yards. start measuring... FC's are tight up front..

No need to change the "knuckle" / Spindle....although '58 chevy works with a reaming of the lower balljoint hole.. 7 degree. Chevy S10 4wd rotors are the units most often used..Start measuring!! Use "Attributes"

[www.brakepartsinc.com]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 19, 2020 09:13AM

Yeah,used 20 year old brake hoses,calipers and wheel bearings are surely the way to go to save some cash right?

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 19, 2020 06:31PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Snip--
> I'm not much for front only disc brakes on a car but the FC has more favorable weight distribution. FC brakes when hauling a load may be found wanting.
>
> I need to try one of those spring kits.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I take a little exception to that remark. I have hauled a 2000# trailer with a PG Corvan and only one time did I ever scare myself with the brakes and it was my own fault for riding the brakes, I know better! That trailer got probably 80,000 miles on it going to different shows with parts and with a CLAMP on bumper hitch. Yeah, I live dangerously but the hitch never moved.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 20, 2020 05:53PM

The Van I bought from Ken Arnold had Front Disc, I don't whos they were but I highly recommend them. Mike

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.