Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
PG misaligned?
Posted by: Yellow ()
Date: February 15, 2020 09:07PM

This maybe a weird one but I'm grasping at straws at this point..

Recently spent a few weeks working on my heads etc. I had the back of the motor disconnected from the motor mount and lowered on a jack most of the time. Now when I shift into reverse it sounds like the transmission is about to break from it slamming into gear so hard. I've had a hard shift before, this is frighteningly hard. Also while backing up there is a strange sensation that something isn't connected right.

Otherwise it shift relatively close to before the head work.

Possible that something could have separated a little while the motor was lowered and is now misaligned? Other thoughts?

62 powerglide I believe on a 64 differential

62 Monza Convertible w/64 Differential and transverse spring
Orange County CA

Re: PG misaligned?
Posted by: RKF ()
Date: February 16, 2020 02:46AM

I'm not a transmission guy, but I wonder if the angle of the transmission caused the fluid to drain away from its usual position, thus letting a weak seal dry out.

Maybe a bottle of Trans-X would help.

I'll wait for the experts to confirm or debunk.

Knoxville TN

1962 Corvair Rampside
1963 Corvair Spyder Convertible (project)
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 16, 2020 04:55AM

Does it shift as it used to from neutral to drive and normal up shift from low to drive?

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: February 16, 2020 05:21AM

because you lowered the engine in back you changed the angle the shift cable enters the trans it may have bent it a little and could cause the odd shift . I would take the cable out of trans and inspect it ,also check the modulator you may have pulled the vac hose off and that will also cause harsh shift. all guesses at this point I hope this helps. Roger.

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Date: February 16, 2020 06:08AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does it shift as it used to from neutral to drive and normal up shift from low to drive?

Yes it shifts smooth but has been slipping in and out of 5he correct gear after warmup occasionally. Thanks

Orange County CA

Date: February 16, 2020 06:13AM

roger65180 Wrote:
> because you lowered the engine in back you changed the angle the shift cable enters the trans it may have bent it a little and could cause the odd shift . I would take the cable out of trans and inspect it ,also check the modulator you may have pulled the vac hose off and that will also cause harsh shift. all guesses at this point I hope this helps. Roger.

Thanks guesses are good as I've checked the usual suspects... I'm not familiar with the shift cable yet. I'll have to research today... Otherwise the modulator and vacuum system seem to be fine.

Orange County CA

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 16, 2020 08:19PM

Humor me. Did you check the fluid level?confused smiley

Engine running, selector in Neutral.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: February 17, 2020 07:24AM

Yes sir I did.Initially was very high but have since corrected. I've always checked in gear. Is N correct? Front motor Mount wasn't as tight as when I disconnected. So tightened and that helped but still a but harsh...

Orange County CA

Posted by: hardcase ()
Date: February 17, 2020 10:46AM

Yellow Wrote:
> Yes sir I did.Initially was very high but have since corrected. I've always checked in gear. Is N correct? Front motor Mount wasn't as tight as when I disconnected. So tightened and that helped but still a but harsh...

Yes, checking in gear is correct.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 18, 2020 07:58AM

I wonder if you have a broken transmission mount? This might be a logical failure when the rear of the engine is tilted down. Are both transmission mounts hanging at the same level or is one lower than the other?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: February 18, 2020 08:53AM

cnicol Wrote:
> I wonder if you have a broken transmission mount? This might be a logical failure when the rear of the engine is tilted down. Are both transmission mounts hanging at the same level or is one lower than the other?

I also thought of this but the best I can tell is that I can't tell...eye rolling smiley I've watched the motor as my wife puts the car in R and it does move a bit but nothing that I would consider severe. The rear mount was a bit loose and tightening that helped quite a bit.

Orange County CA

SOLVED!!!!
Date: February 18, 2020 05:29PM

First I need to thank those of you in this forum that continually help others. THANK YOU!!!
Second I must apologize that I found a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft that I had just replaced. Of course I assumed it was good to go and didn't think to check until I had no other course...

So to recap: I had dropped the front of the motor to take off the heads. When I put the motor back up I did not tighten and that was the horrible slamming noise I heard when going into reverse!

I had recently rebuilt two new to me carbs and replaced the throttle shafts in both. They did not seal completely and the vacuum leak caused the still harsh reverse shift and erratic shifting once the car was heated...

The carbs I had just put on had the o ring spring set up so I put that back on the new throttle shaft to stop the leak and Viola!!! She purrs and shifts nice and stays in the correct gear!!!!

Is there a better solution to the throttle shaft leak than the o'ring washer spring?

Now to just get the valve covers to stop leaking and get the driveway cleaned!!

Orange County CA

Re: SOLVED!!!!
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 18, 2020 06:17PM

Once again life is good! Just keep looking for more carbs...

Some have "Bushed" the holes...but it's a lot of precision work..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.