Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Weirdest Corvair incident - just for fun smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: February 17, 2020 05:30PM

One day I drove my 63 to the local grocery store and right as I was getting out the car I hear this guy screaming from WAAYYYY across the parking lot.

I hear him scream HEY..HEY...You in the Corvair........ YOUR RADIATIOR IS LEAKING!!!!

He starts laughing real loud, gets in his car and drives off..the other direction...

It was just so odd...I mean he went way out of his way to get my attention, crack a joke, only to just drive off without a wave, coming over to check out the car, or anything.

I am used to people stopping and talking about the car, I mean at least he knew what the car was....

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gbirk1 ()
Date: February 17, 2020 05:33PM

I don't think I have told this story on the forum before...

I had the good fortune to grow up on a dirt road out in the country of Western Massachusetts, on what was my grandparents former dairy farm, so we had land and woods.

Across the road lived my four older cousins, three of whom were all gearheads to at least some degree.

My cousin, Peter, 6 years older than me, upgraded from a VW to a black, EM Corvair coupe, 4 speed. And in a very short period of time, he also acquired a really nice, bright red Corsa. Once he got the Corsa, he GAVE the EM coupe to his younger brother (closer to my age) and me for us to use just to bomb around in the fields on our property! I was about 13 or 14 at the time, no Driver's License, of course, so this was VERY cool! The black EM, while maybe not a beauty, was a perfectly fine, roadworthy car, as I recall.

Well, probably the next day, after school (my mind probably wasn't much on school that day), I was eager to take the Corvair out for a spin. I took it out into the fairly large field behind their house, which had a bit of slope to it, but the field leveled out at the top of the hill.

At the top of the hill, probably while I was shifting gears, the clutch cable broke. So I shut the car off, put it in gear, put the parking brake on and left the car where it was.

When I was able to catch up with my cousin who "gave" us the car, I let him know what happened. He said no big deal; he would check it out as soon as he could.

In a day or two, I noticed the Corvair was no longer in the field. I looked in their driveway and it was not there. I looked in the parking places in the barn where cars would sometimes get parked or worked on. Not there.

When I caught up with me cousin, I asked him about the Corvair. "Well," he said, "I went up to check on the car, the clutch cable was broken, so I left it there. But when I went back to where the car was with tools to work on it, it was gone. The first time I went up I must have taken it out of gear and released the handbrake. While I was gone, it rolled down the hill and into a tree. The car is totaled."

You can imagine my disappointment!

Gregg Birkholz
Canaan, CT.

1967 Monza 110 PG Convertible
2013 Chevy Malibu (Wife's DD)
1993 Cadillac Deville
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
1997 Mazda Miata STO (Wife's fun car)
1989 Cadillac Deville (parts car)
2008 Buick LaCrosse (DD)

Date: February 17, 2020 11:49PM

I'll share another one...

Actually my 1st Corvair and as I was slowing buying and adding stuff to restore it to an original condition, I opted to buy a reproduction original tar top battery.

I always drove the car aggressively, throwing into and around corners every chance I had.

One night is the wee hours of the morning I was ripping along and tore into a sharp "20 mph" curve...as I punched into the curve I heard a huge "BANG" and everything shut off and went instantly dark...

I find myself in the near pitch black, doing triple the recommended speed around a tight curve with no engine, no lights, nothing....

I held it together and coasted thru the curve and to a stop.

It took me a while to figure out what had happened there on the side of the road but my rubber coated metal battery hold down wasn't tight enough and had been allowing the battery to side slightly back and forth. Over time it had sawed through the tar top coating and eventually wore through the rubber coating on the hold down.

That last shift shorted out the hold down across some of the battery plates and the battery blew up internally.

Bought a "new" modern battery and a plastic battery hold down the next day....

Rick Loving
CORSA

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 18, 2020 04:39AM

I love these stories! Some are so hysterically funny! All are great reading.

My first "live" experience with a Corvair was the year my dad bought a new '62 700 wagon. At the time he was buying a new car every fall and trading the "old" one in.

I remember my mother returned one afternoon from shopping downtown, laughing her head off! She had parked right outside the library at the bottom of their steps. Upon returning to the car with packages, she opened the trunk and loaded them in. She then overheard two girls seated on the library steps, as one of them told the other "Look, that lady's putting her packages in the engine!"

-Mark

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 18, 2020 11:39AM

30+ years ago I was towing a '63 102/4spd home that was supposedly dead. I think I gave $50 for it. Since I had no money or much else a friend was towing me with a chain. Since it had oil in it I decided instead of dragging the brakes to keep tension on the chain I would just put it in gear. That worked great but a few miles down the road I realized it was running. We pulled over, took the chain off and I drove it the rest of the way home. Ended up being a really nice drive train. Drove it a couple of years and sold it to a guy that I saw driving it around town for several years. Only Corvair I've ever sold and I wish I had it back.
I did end up replacing the rubber fuel line at the tank. It was soft and collapsing.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 18, 2020 12:17PM

That's a Generator for you! In my early years....battery DEAD... Tow it in gear and within a block or so it would be running. who needed a charger or jumper cables!... I sure didn't have any! No cheap things in the 50-early 60's. Even at Pep Boys..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 18, 2020 12:25PM

We had a neighbor 40+ years ago that saw me driving/working on some Corvairs.
He came over and said he had a Corvair in his backyard and that I could have it FREE but it had to be removed THAT DAY. It was a wrecked all original 65 Monza PG 2 door. It had no steering wheel (he had removed the wood wheel he told me and kept it). So my brother and I dragged it home with a rope with me steering the car with a pair of vise grips.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 18, 2020 03:23PM

Well, the weirdest Corvair incident I have ever had was a recent discovery I made.
I was going through a stack of papers that came with one of my Corvairs.
I had glanced at them when I had purchased the car, but had never looked that close at this one item in particular.
Imagine my surprise when I discovered that my car was once owned by . . . . . . .
Lieutenant DAN ! ! ! grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 18, 2020 03:40PM

I found a Paxton supercharger in the front floor of a Rampside I bought.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: February 18, 2020 03:56PM

My weirdest incident is really my only incident in a Corvair (I've only ever driven in one once). This is not a 'for fun' story but my only memory.

1967 - My parents were separating and we were scheduled to fly from New Jersey to California on Oct. 12th (Thursday). On Monday (Oct.8th) my mother abruptly packed things and had my older brother drive us to my grandmother's. My brother who had dropped out of school the prior year to support his '63 Pontiac Grand Prix had returned to school and jettisoned the Grand Prix for a '60 Corvair (PG). The trunk full of luggage and six people packed in it moved at a snails pace. 53 years later it was my first and last time I ever traveled in a Corvair - so far.

Sorry it is a downer story. Someday when I get my Lakewood running I'll add something more cheery.

Date: February 18, 2020 07:56PM

I'll throw yet another one out to the masses....

I drove my 63 Monza vert year round...in the winter I would throw snow tires on it and drive through any weather.

I also periodically took it Ice racing (think SCCA autocross on frozen like).

I was always the only guy there running a convertible and normally ran top down and heater on high.

One of my first events I had been pushing the limits and speed on the course each and every run.

The last run of the day started out with a near perfect run and would have been my fastest of the day, however the "last" corner to the finish was a hard 90 off a straight.

I cooked it going into the corner but was holding it with a big drifting arch desperately trying to bring the rear back in.

I was probably well over 50 mph when the ass end finally let go and I swung 180 degrees around...I put in the clutch and right before I hit the brakes I realized I was still on course heading directly for the finish line.

So I slammed it into reverse, twisted around in my seat to look backward, smashed the go fast pedal down, and dumped the clutch and drove straight thought the finish backwards....

Even though I didn't place in my division for time, I won the "special" awards for "Most Impressive Finish"..

Rick Loving
CORSA

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 18, 2020 08:00PM

Any ice racing this year??? GGG

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: February 18, 2020 08:56PM

Great story and photos, Rick, but no mention of the Yenko?

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Date: February 18, 2020 11:12PM

LOL... YS-066 before it was sold to its current owner.

This was the early 90's....I passed on buying it for $4,000 but it was fun to drive.

I iced raced a few different Corvairs over the years but life got in the way and I haven't had a winter beater in well over a decade.

All my recent Vairs hibernate over the winter.

This is what my 63 looked like after 40 years of midwest winters...

It got so bad I cound.t jack it up without the roof latched....I stripped every mechanical piece I could before sending her to her final resting place.

Rick Loving
CORSA

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp

Attachments:

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 19, 2020 04:27AM

Ice racing in a convertible...perfect. thumbs up

Date: February 19, 2020 05:01AM

Joel, here's a similar one for you. When I started my second year of college, a friend from just 3 doors down the street (and a year behind me) decided to attend the same college. So his dad bought the last and only '69 corvair the local dealer had ordered and had sitting on his lot. We both commuted to classes in it.

From day one, it had had a curious lump under the mat/"carpet" on the driver's side. One day halfway through the second semester, while waiting for him to finish his last class, I was sitting there, and curiosity hit me. So I managed to wiggle my hand under the bench seat, and lift the rubber mat enough to wedge my arm under it far enough to reach the lump. What I pulled out was shocking. That lump had been caused by two brand new (not one but a pair of) dimmer switches!eye popping smiley They had been there since they were dropped by the factory assembler.

-Mark

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 19, 2020 05:07AM

About 1975 during my misspent youth I was drinking a beer while driving down University Avenue in a somewhat rugged 65 Corsa. I was a little scared when a cop eased past me going 30 compared to my 29. I thought it was better having him ahead of me than behind until my horn started beep beep beeping at every bump in the road. I turned off and he kept going.

I wish I could say that I learned a lesson and changed my ways at that time.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: February 19, 2020 05:25AM

Rick, I once parted out a '69 convertible that was so rusty that I had to slide a 2 x 12 under it and jack that up on both ends, just so I had something to stand or sit on while parting out the interior.

Also, Mike and I parted out a 'Brier that was so bad that I had to support it with a stack of 2 x 4's under the front bumper. We parted it out as much as we could in that position, rolled it on its side, and finished parting it out as much as possible. We then rolled it onto its top, and by then the whole chassis was sagging into the interior like a hammock, box frame broken in no less than 5 places on both sides and attached only by the front and rear bumpers. We then dragged it up on a flatbed trailer and hauled it to the scrap yard. They picked it up off the trailer with a fork truck, with the forks through the side windows. They took it into the yard, and as soon as they set it down, the connection at the front bumper broke, the chassis crashed into the interior, while the whole front panel fell forward, bending at the top of the "A" pillars, and landed face first, flat on the ground.eye popping smiley

On the flip side, Mike McKeel once went south to get some parts from a guy in Chattanooga. When he pulled into the guy's drive, there was a '66 Corsa on stands at the side of the drive, half apart, no rust but just a dent in the quarter panel. Mike asked if he was repairing the car. "Nah, I'm scrapping it out 'cause it has a dent in the fender." eye popping smiley eye popping smiley

Those southern boys don't know what rust is!

-Mark

Posted by: Gold ()
Date: February 19, 2020 06:46AM

As a teen in the seventies i decided to paint my monza, outside in a carport. As I went to the other side to spray the color the neighbor comes by MOWING the lawn!! Bugs grass etc. I left it like that. Looked ok from 20 feet.
Mike

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: February 19, 2020 08:03AM

Ok, so I take my turbo Corsa out for a ride to go have a beer, I’ve got about a 7mile drive. It’s about 10:30-11 pm, justa couple days before July 4 2010(I think). I turn right onto 75th street and run through the gears, get to about 4400rpm in 4th and slow down. A lot. This stretch of road is 4 lane with a wide median, and park district on either side for about a 1/2 mile or so. There is a traffic light at the upcoming intersection that I had already planned on turning left at, as that was the route I normally took. The fact that it became a construction zone after the light had nothing to do with me turning there, and I already knew it was a construction zone.

As I turn left onto Modaff Rd, which is a residential area, I was well within the legal limits, keep in mind this is the town I grew up in, knew the area well enough to navigate it blindfolded. I get about 100 yards down the street, when 2 cop cars turn on their lights, ALL of them, they had been following me with their headlights off for a considerable distance. Apparently they were hoping I’d pull into the construction zone, where they could really get me breaking some laws, seriously, they didn’t even consider pulling me over while I was actually breaking the law.

So I’m pulled over, they ask why I’ve been driving so fast, have I been drinking. I show them my Diet Dr Pepper. “So you haven’t had ANY alcohol?” No. “Cause normally this sort of thing happens when people are under the influence of alcohol “.

They say I was going 98mph, which matches the rpm/tire diameter/diff ratio. “Do you have any weapons?” No. “Will you step out of the car?” So, I’m getting arrested, officially, cuffed and put in the back seat like a real life Butch Cassidy.

So they’re looking through the car, see nothing at all, and walk around the outside. Officer Fife tells me they’ll let me leave my car there and not tow it. Then Barney tries locking the door. I instruct him to push the lock down, then hold the door handle button in while closing the door. I explained this 3 times, and he failed each time. “Will it stay locked if I use the key to lock it?” I swear to God this happened! I assure him it will stay locked. Then he and his partner walk around to the back of the car, and point out the emblem on the deck lid, looking puzzled. I ask them if they’d like to see the engine.”No”

So, Officer Fife gets in the car, his computer has been on the whole time I’m sitting there, and I can see the emails or instant messages they had sent each other during my crime spree “did you see that?” is the one I remember.

Now it’s time to go to jail, I kindly ask the officer if there is a seat belt “Yes” will you put it on for me? “No” Illinois has seat belt laws, and this town was notorious for writing tickets for it.

The car is moving, Barney is typing on his computer as we drive to the station, ignoring every stop sign. He’s actually shaking nervously as he walks me in and we go to get some prints and photos taken. The photographer and I both find this kind of humorous, and I give my best smile for the front and side shot. I get my phone call, give them my license for bail, and start walking towards where I live, and call my wife to pick me up along the way.

So, the very next morning my neighbor calls me and asks me if I’ve heard the news on the radio, or r was the online papers, I say no, she says I’m famous and should google my name. The local paper posts an online, detailed and creative write up on yours truly, with my smiling face for all to see. Then they make the mistake of allowing people to make comments, all of which were quite humorous and positive, except for the one “Corvairs are dangerous” one. I’ve even made the rounds of some Chicago area radio stations.

The next day, the paper comes out, The Naperville Sun, in a town I grew up in, where my dad was the local Chevy/Olds dealer from 58-81, and where I had a pizzeria for 13 years.

On the bottom right corner of the front page is a color picture of a late model vert, with the headline “Unsafe At That Speed: Bolingbrook man arrested for driving 98mph in classic Corvair” page 10. So....I open up to page 10, and who’s smiling face mugshot is right there, in a 1/4 page article with the headline:

“Unsafe At Any Speed: Bolingbrook Man Arrested, blah blah blah, I’ll have to look at the article again to remember exactly what was said. Anyway, the article goes on topaint me as some sort of menace to society; ticketed 14 times since 1982!, driving 98mph through the center of town(geographically anyway, I was nowhere near downtown), I couldn’t give an explanation as to why I was driving so fast, etc., even the sergeant claimed “his vehicle was curbed before he could enter the construction zone “ a blatant lie, anyway, it was quite the write up.

So, I called my classified ads rep at the paper “have you seen what your paper said about me?” No. She comes back on the phone apologizing, I request a laminated COLOR copy of the write up, which she happily provided, as I was still advertising my business in the paper. Keep in mind, on page 8 of the same paper, they had a tiny article, with a tiny picture of a guy that was trying to lure a teenage girl, all facts, no sensationalizing, etc.

So it’s now 4th of July weekend, I go to the local festival and literally keep running into people shouting my name and cheering for me, my wife is quite humored by all of this.

Then a day or two later, i happen to look at the paper and open it up, and right there on page two is a “letter from the editor” who by the way had just started there recently, and was telling all about his move into a new neighborhood and how difficult it can be, especially for kids, with people saying things about people they haven’t gotten to know yet. The rest of his editorial went on about “journalistic integrity”, and how important it is to be truthful, to not sensationalize and stick with the truth, and nothing but that. And should one ever stray from that “journalistic integrity “, “they should be given their pink slip”

I then called my ad rep and told her that I was gonna go to the ladies department at sears, purchase a pink slip like your grandma wears, and send it to him.

True story, and the judge looked at my ticket, laughed and said “it’s always 75th st, that’ll be $375”

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.